Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New Brunswick 20 cents 1864

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please check out these two 20 cent coins and see if you can see a difference between the 2.
I have checked Charlton, different issues, and find no mention of two different dies.
However, one of them must be a variety.
Question is just: which one do we look for value wise.
All I found is a normal issue and a SP issue.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

What makes you think that they are different dies. The bottom one is at least a full grade lower than the top one and looks to have been dipped one too many times. The 2 photos are not the same size, nor are they exactly in/on the same rotation.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭

Based upon the marks and discolorations, they look like different photos of the same coin to me.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options

After looking more closely, just at the rim dings, I also (like bosox) think that they are 2 photos of the same coin in drastically different light. It still looks to me that the 2nd photo shows much more wear.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing different between those is the photos themselves. As SYL says, the rim dings are the giveaway.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭

@bosox said:
    Based upon the marks and discolorations, they look like different photos of the same coin to me.

Agreed.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2019 12:15PM

Ok fellows, I totally hear what you are saying and I totally respect that.
    BUT, how do you explain the different looking 6. Do you think that it is metal flow or die issues?
    Maybe I am totally out to lunch ( I guess i will have to buy?? :'( if I am wrong)
    please look at the new posted images of 2+4 reverses, IMO, different dates. even the zeros are different.
    Allowing for possibly inserting the 6 by hand, they are IMO different looking coins. I am not trying to be difficult. just the way I see it. Maybe new glasses needed?

• Options
    edited February 18, 2019 3:16PM

OK ... The initial first 2 photos are of the exact same coin, taken with different lighting and different camera angles. I feel like a doofus not seeing that the first time I looked at them ... but I was trying to see differences, not likenesses.

Now, how many coins are photos A-D representing? Now, these DO look different. I just want to know how many coins I'm looking at, so I don't make an ass of myself again. I can't see the rim dings on the edges for these 4 photos. How many coins?

• Options

Syl, thanks for your comments, its much welcome and appreciated.
    here is the story:
    Presently I only have 2 coins here at my home. these are A + B.
    You are totally correct that the first post is one and the same coin. I did not do this purposely. Did not want to mislead anyone and was surprised myself when you guys pointed it out. I guess I could not see the forest because of all the trees. Was too focused on the dates.
    The image with the 4 coins represents 4 individual coins. A+B are presently at my home and these are new images.
    the other 2 are from my older Images. These other 2 plus a few more 20 cent are stashed away at the moment.
    I am wondering why nobody has noticed the date variations over the years. Perhaps most people only have one of each?

• Options

From what I see, B & C are one in the same coin ... you can tell by the discolorations in exactly the same place. A & D are two separate coins .. D has a D/C from the leaf at 10:00 and A doesn't. The single coin represented by B & C appears to have a fatter font than A or D, but I think that it's just wear .. .digits are smaller/thinner at the top than at the bottom so that they don't stick into the working die when struck .. the individual design details are tapered. As the coin wears, letters and digits appear fatter because the thinnest part is wearing away, leaving the fatter part towards the bottom. .. it's not a different font.

To me, A & D appear to be struck from probably the same die, but they are different coins. It would help immensely if you used the same lighting for all your photos .. you have 4 different lightings/size/angles for A-D ... makes comparison harder.

• Options

You have a very sharp eye for these properties.
    In the near future I will dig out all my 20/NB 64s and take new pictures as you suggested, same macro lens, lights and straight down angles.
    currently some images are still high res scans from way back.
    I solidly do beliebve that there are at least 2 different 1864s of that series.

Thank you all for now for helping unravel this mystery to this point. It will continue soon with new images.
    Have a great week guys.