Home Sports Talk
Options

Most dramatic moment in sports

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bigger than Jack Youngblood playing with a broken leg, or Willis Reed playing in a game 7, or US men's hockey team beating the Russians in the Olympics.

https://youtu.be/N4nwMDZYXTI

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know, the Miracle on Ice trumps that in my opinion.

• Options

Red Sox comeback in the 2004 ALCS, Patriots against Atlanta too

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

The gibson hr was big, but it didn't decide a series. For that reason I think the mazeroski and Carter home runs were bigger moments

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019 11:15PM

@craig44 said:
    The gibson hr was big, but it didn't decide a series. For that reason I think the mazeroski and Carter home runs were bigger moments

Maybe but I offer you this. It was the drama of Gibson hobbling around in the dugout on two bad legs against Eck who was unhittable in 88. It was the call and the thunderous noise and shock of the moment. I remember exactly where I was when he hit that homer. That was Gibson’s only at bat in the series and I don’t think the A’s ever recovered.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nick Foles, a no name backup quarterback, and also Doug Pederson a no name second season head coach, defeating future unanimous first ballot Hall of Famer Tom Brady and the greatest of all time head coach Bill Belichick and his Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Hey, if Perkdog can be a homer with his "Most dramatic moment in sports" then so can i. B)

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the miracle on ice for Northerner's , but no real interest for much of the country. Hockey just isn't mainstream.
    I thought Bobby Thomsons' shot heard round the world was supposed to be the biggest home run.
    Joe Montana to Dwight Clark maybe for football.

• Options

I may reconsider about the 'miracle on ice'. The top moments seem to have a nickname.
    Shot heard round the world
    Miracle on ice
    Homer in the gloamin'
    The catch

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@craig44 said:

Maybe but I offer you this. It was the drama of Gibson hobbling around in the dugout on two bad legs in the dugout against Eck who was unhittable in 88. It was the call and the thunderous noise and shock of the moment. I remember exactly where I was when he hit that homer. That was Gibson’s only at bat in the series and I don’t think the A’s ever recovered.

m

So what was that called, 'Hopalongs homer' ?

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to be kind of flexible with the word "moment" - same as with the Miracle on Ice - but game 6 of the 2011 World Series had more drama than any game I can think of. Two times the Cardinals are down to their last strike, and two times they erase 2-run deficits - in the 9th and 10th innings. Yeah, it was my team, but I have no doubt that if it had been your team that had won that game - and then the Series - you would have nominated it.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2019 9:30PM

Kerri in 1996 Atlanta.

https://youtu.be/AlGCfS-F22I

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Al Bundy 4 touchdowns in a single game. Who said you can't peak in high school.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Mazeroski's home run

Bjorn borg beating McEnroe at 1980 Wimbledon

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    edited February 18, 2019 3:41AM

@stevek said:
    Nick Foles, a no name backup quarterback, and also Doug Pederson a no name second season head coach, defeating future unanimous first ballot Hall of Famer and GOAT Tom Brady and the greatest of all time head coach Bill Belichick and his Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Hey, if Perkdog can be a homer with his "Most dramatic moment in sports" then so can i. B)

I absolutely agree with you, if I’m a Philly guy I definitely would think that. I’m being a homer for sure. No question there are a lot of people that think the same thing about these games as we do, I’m sure Giant fans feel the same way about the ‘07 Super Bowl. Btw I fixed your quote for you too 😎

• Options
    edited February 18, 2019 3:39AM

Tell ya what Bobby Thompson shot heard around the world in ‘51 was pretty dramatic. The Dodgers in ‘55 was another one

• Options

Mark Whiten HR in ‘93?

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go with the Red Sox comeback in 2004. Down 3-0 to the Yankees in the AL Championship series, they won the next 8 games to finally win the WS.

However, what Tony Cloninger did on July 3, 1966 will NEVER be eclipsed. He hit two grand slam homers against the SF Giants. He not only holds this incredible record, but also the most RBIs in one game by a pitcher...nine. Braves 17-3 final score.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Maybe the miracle on ice for Northerner's , but no real interest for much of the country. Hockey just isn't mainstream.
    I thought Bobby Thomsons' shot heard round the world was supposed to be the biggest home run.

I like hockey but I always felt the miracle on ice was for the cold war era koolaid drinkers .

Olympics had a lot of the we have to beat russia bs.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@Darin said:

I like hockey but I always felt the miracle on ice was for the cold war era koolaid drinkers .

The Russians were nearly unbeatable I thought and the US supposedly didn’t have a chance. I think it has to do with that more than the Cold War stuff

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

surprised this hasn't been mentioned

https://youtu.be/euZ08eWV4ME

• Options

Forgot about Buster Douglas. Good call

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Darin said:

The Russians were nearly unbeatable I thought and the US supposedly didn’t have a chance. I think it has to do with that more than the Cold War stuff

It was weird wasn't it? The Russians were older more experienced players . That was when I started to wonder about the whole Olympics narrative. It took a few more Olympics to catch on that the whole thing was fake news. Individual athletes were trying hard of course but behind the scenes it was another matter

The miracle on ice convinced the TV stations to turn everything into a nauseating human interest story. Look at the brave american leap over those hurdles and come in 139th , he made his hometown ever so proud :D:D plus his 2nd cousin has mild skin cancer oh no :'(

Meanwhile in gymnastics coaches molesting kids , Track and field was female shot putters with full beards , cycling was blood doping and every 4 years companies extracting millions of dollars with no bid contracts , throwing up cardboard stadiums in the last 3 days before the opening ceremony.

I'm getting warm and fuzzy all over

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ali beating Foreman was a shock.

Puckett's home run in game 6 "We'll see you tomorrow night" pretty good.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

god i miss boxing. That was a thing to gather in front of a tv for.

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

Feb. 18, 2001 Dale Earnhardt, International Speedway, Daytona Beach, FL. Dramatic/Shocking. A seemingly mundane crash . Not so. RIP

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options

@zippcity said:
    Feb. 18, 2001 Dale Earnhardt, International Speedway, Daytona Beach, FL. Dramatic/Shocking. A seemingly mundane crash . Not so. RIP

I was happy in the moment that Waltrip finally won a damn race. I think he was driving an Earnhardt car too. Talk about a range of emotions he must have felt

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Agree completely! Ali was the "Greatest" Tyson was bringing it back until he tried to eat Hollyfield. After that I couldn't care less. Can any of the heavyweights even box?

All the "good" sports are now pay to watch except football. You millionaires can all pound sand until you let me watch it on regular TV. I'll keep what little money I have for other things.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

All I remember back In the early 90’s was everyone chipping in and buying a big fight having a party ect. Only to be hugely disappointed with the fight. They dercards were legit better fights

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019 8:39AM

Miracle on Ice was great for US amateurs kids beating Russian pros.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019 2:24PM

Wished I had seen this in person but I only saw it on TV. A moment that sent chills down my spine. Hank Aaron breaking Babe Ruth's career home run record in 1974.

Vin Scully calls this one.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QjqYThEVoSQ

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Canadian women's olympic hockey team winning against the American team at the olympics, Jacques Villeneuve winning the world championship for drivers in 1996.