Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Cutting corners of penny sleeve?

I’ve seen references to cutting the corners of the penny sleeves before submitting to PSA, and I’m curious as to why this is done. Doesn’t that put the corners at risk of damage from the CS1? I’m planning on submitting a bulk order of lower value moderns (taking advantage of the quarterly special) and wanted to make sure I was setting the cards up for the best possible grades. Thanks.

Jim

Comments

• Snipping the corner of the sleeve creates a larger opening for the card to slide in without catching the corner on the sleeve.

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019 9:36PM

Ah, I see. I thought the corners on the bottom were being snipped... maybe to let air escape as you slid the card in :)

Thanks for the info - makes complete sense.

Jim

• Haha np

• stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always used a piece of notebook or copy paper and cut out two pieces about the height of a baseball card and slightly wider, then slid it into the penny sleeve first. Then I inserted the card into the sleeve between the two pieces of paper to prevent damage. It's always worked wonderfully.

• ^ Yup.
    I've also used a pen to stretch out one corner of the sleeve. It would open up the sleeve wide enough for the card to slide in easily

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I thought PSA does not like cards in penny sleeves. Slows down the process. They recommend card saver I's and thats it. i never use penny sleeves. To me they are unnecessary. Just me.

• MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

For cards prone to surface scratches like chrome, prizm, etc, sleeves are 100% a must. The cs1 alone can cause damage.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

I do it all the time to avoid damage to card when inserting card into sleeve

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info, everyone.

@ElvisP said:
    I thought PSA does not like cards in penny sleeves. Slows down the process. They recommend card saver I's and thats it. i never use penny sleeves. To me they are unnecessary. Just me.

For what it’s worth, it may slow things down but PSA recognizes the benefits of the penny sleeve - they mention that a sleeve is allowed here and the photos show the card going in a sleeve first: https://www.psacard.com/submissions/shipguide:

“For the protection of your items, you may want to insert your cards/tickets into a soft card sleeve or mylar before inserting into the Card Saver.”

Jim

• dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:

im not sliding a valuable chrome card into a card saver I and have it scuff up the surface on me. always use penny sleeves.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive never damaged a card putting them into a PS. Never thought about it. I can see the angle though I guess. Good stuff.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240