Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How often do collectors get taken in by the BGS Pristine 10 premium?

You see it all the time ~ a PSA 10 Gem Mint fetches one price but a BGS Pristine 10 (at least 3x10 and a 9.5) sells for similar and often times more.....and a Black Label (Quad 10's) is often sold for much much more than that.....Ex. this Pristine BGS 10 Robles Real One Auto RC from the Heritage '18 set has an asking price of $499.00 obo........the PSA 10 Robles of the same issue below it has sold for between $100.00 and $150.00..it currently has a minimum offer of $115.00 with no bids as yet on ebay... feel free to discuss this disparity and where you stand as I am sure this issue is perplexing to both new and veteran collectors........

Comments

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I personally don’t get it. My go to example is always Connor McDavids YG RC. At the time PSA 10s were $350 BGS Gold 10s we’re over $1k and the BGS 10 Blacks had multiple copies sold over $15k with a few north of $20k if I recall correctly. Nuts.

Kevin

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my cup of tea to pay a premium for a quality difference I cannot detect with my naked eye (if it exists at all). That said, if some guys like seeing the high-number on the label or prefer the black label, to each his own. Whatever makes a collector happy, end of the day.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Its all marketing, I mean you could also ask why does a PSA 10 fetch thousands of dollars more than a PSA 9? Perceived scarcity is the bottom line

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Never. It’s a free market.

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

It's kinda like if the card manufacturer takes a card and prints only or two cards with a stripe added and everything else is the same. Those two copies will be worth a lot more even though they essentially look the same.

In the end, they're trading cards--that's their function--and scarcity dictates value. All these different pristine grade levels are just another way to achieve that. Even when it comes out that a card has been bumped, it doesn't seem to affect values.

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Asking $499 for that card is just plain ol’ fishing imho.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah it only works on newer cards... that bvg 10 pristine Orr rc that’s been on eBay for a decade probably wouldn’t get what a psa 9 sells for.