Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

So the M. Jordan is over $100,000 with 4 days left.

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

So is it made out of Kryponite and Lex Luthor is running up the bidding?

Otherwise just don't understand the appeal. An altered card, LOL. Of something called precious metals universe..

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    Someone pointed out this card a week or two ago and it was over 1/2 a million dollars......what happened to that listing?

They ended that auction and relisted it for pre-approved bidders only.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

id would figure that there would be free shipping with that kind of money being spent. I guess not

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    I'm trying to figure out the altered designation by looking at the scan. With all the chipping around the borders, I do not feel the card is trimmed. Perhaps a corner was pushed down. I can't see someone coloring the card for any reason. Anyone have any ideas ?

The top left corner looks like it was retouched.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

The card was trimmed on the right side. You can see the uninterrupted white portion in the scan.

Arthur

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

How to the Gems versions work? Is it the green that only has 10? The number on the back states 06/100.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldferg said:
    How to the Gems versions work? Is it the green that only has 10? The number on the back states 06/100.

I believe first 10 are green with remaining 90 red.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Nice card, but if I had 100K to blow, I would get a few other gems!

PackManInNC
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand. $100,000+ for an altered card. To each his own.

Andy

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

With all due respect for our fine board members none of us will understand this type of purchase. Logic says invest that $100k in something more secure. Buyers of that card say I’ve got F U money. So let it be. Entertaining nonetheless.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

But wouldn't it be unbelievable to throw 100K at something and not really care?

PackManInNC
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@akuracy503 said:
    With all due respect for our fine board members none of us will understand this type of purchase. Logic says invest that $100k in something more secure. Buyers of that card say I’ve got F U money. So let it be. Entertaining nonetheless.

Yeah, you're right. I'm not criticizing. It's a personal thing for me. I wouldn't do it. I know and understand that people buy these things for different reasons.

Andy

• Options

You only live once. Money like that gives our hobby some spark. Sets records and keeps cards relevant

• Options

I always said if I won a big lottery I’d come in and swoop up the finest T206 Wagner and set a new record for it. I might even throw my hat in the modern game to get people riled up. You can really make some noise and stir up our small little hobby if you had that kind of money.

As I mentioned it is entertaining!

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

_I always said if I won a big lottery I’d come in and swoop up the finest T206 Wagner and set a new record for it.

Speaking of that, I have a question I have been meaning to ask. If you did have that kind of money, would you purchase the PSA 5 m/c or the PSA 8? I only ask because of some of the negativity publicity the 8 has gotten in recent years.

Thanks, Tom

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pop report says this is the only copy PSA reviewed.

I’m just curious why this card. Non rookie not his last. Is it his last in a Bulls uni?

Kevin

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I'm not buying an altered modern card. If you are trying to impress people the first thing they are going to say is "Oh, its been altered,"

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Appears that before the card was submitted, PWCC reviewed the side of this raw card. If PSA thinks it's altered/trimmed, and PWCC does not, why not take a magnified image of the side of the card and compare it to an original factory-cut card and an after-market trimmed card. Which does it look like?

IMO, this is not a subjective issue. If the card is trimmed/altered, it will show clear differences under magnification from a factory-cut card. Why are we still living with these vague and ambiguous grading terms like "altered"? Someone with good forensics can solve this riddle in 20 minutes. It's a 6 dollar figure card, it deserves a verdict.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

@lightningboy said:
    _I always said if I won a big lottery I’d come in and swoop up the finest T206 Wagner and set a new record for it.

Speaking of that, I have a question I have been meaning to ask. If you did have that kind of money, would you purchase the PSA 5 m/c or the PSA 8? I only ask because of some of the negativity publicity the 8 has gotten in recent years.

Thanks, Tom

Tom, I would buy any and all authentic T206 Wagners and won’t even blink an eye at the controversial 8. That’s what these big money people do. They dictate the market by setting the price. Then it becomes a status symbol within the hobby community. Haters can talk. But F U money sit on legendary cards.

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

I have no comment on the card itself, but I do recommend that Brent put a few paragraph breaks into his auction description. I got a headache reading that!

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

I see PSA also graded one authentic. Is there a pop report for altered cards?

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

The six cards referred to were PMG Greens of six different players, one of which was Jordan.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

An AUTH copy sold in 2015 for 91k so it’s intersting neither have a numerical grade.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    An AUTH copy sold in 2015 for 91k so it’s intersting neither have a numerical grade.

Unless I'm missing something there is still only one in the pop report. The photo on the Pop page shows card 1/100. The card being auctioned is 6/100

So is the Pop report off or was the cert Label turned in?

Also if anyone could share any insight into why this particular card series is so valuable as a non basketball collector I'd appreciate it.

Kevin

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the link to the story on the sale from 2015.

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/1997-precious-metal-gems-michael-jordan

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

This much money for an "althered" card? Really?