Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What’s the next 2011 Topps Update Trout and Why?

He’s arguably the greatest baseball player of this decade (and, perhaps, generation) and speculation about his future endevours has driven the prices of his early cards sky high, especially his 2011 Topps Update and it’s variations. Who, in your eyes, is the next player whose early cards will have a similar trajectory and why? I’ll start and say maybe a 2015 Topps Update Francisco Lindor. I think his future is extremely bright and those colored borders might make high grades pricey in the next few years.

Comments

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

2017 Patrick Mahomes contenders autos.
    I like the Prizm autos better, but my favorite is the 2016 panini select non auto, because it seems to be the true rookie imo.

Why, because he's 23 and has his first MVP and is probably going to lead the Chiefs to several Super Bowls,
    Trouts rookie cards are high, but I wonder if they would be even higher had he won a world series or two, or
    even played in a world series.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@jayjones82 said:
    He’s arguably the greatest baseball player of this decade (and, perhaps, generation) and speculation about his future endevours has driven the prices of his early cards sky high, especially his 2011 Topps Update and it’s variations. Who, in your eyes, is the next player whose early cards will have a similar trajectory and why? I’ll start and say maybe a 2015 Topps Update Francisco Lindor. I think his future is extremely bright and those colored borders might make high grades pricey in the next few years.

It is unlikely that any player will have a career path similar to Trout’s.

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Even with guys like Acuna and Soto, none of their RCs will be far and the one RC to have like trouts update card is.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the next X?

X = a unique event that occurred that no one saw coming

Anyone else see the inherent flaws in this exercise? If you can see it coming, it won't be X.

Arthur

• swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

I could see Torres becoming that guy. He was always the youngest player in the league he was in, in the minors. Youngest in the AFL and won MVP. I could also see Acuna being that guy too. I think he'll be the best player in MLB in the next couple of years.

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

From a footballl point of view, I'll say Jameis Winston rookies. Right now his cards are down huge but he performed very well in the last six games, 65% completion 9 TD vs 3 INT. Bruce Arians knows how turn QBs around and I think Winston is due for a huge season.

His off the field issues are always a risk but Jameis is entering his 5th season and is still younger than Dak Prescott, Mariota, and Carson Wentz. He is only 9 months older than Jared Goff and around 18 months older than Mahomes and Watson.

He could have a 5000+ YDS/40+ TD season. He was already close to that pace in 9 games last year even with all of the drama.

disclosure: I do have a hoard of Winston rookies that I bought over the past few months.

Mike