Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question regarding PCGS/NGC holders !!!

Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any way to determine the date when a coin was graded based on the numbers on the holder. How would one find out the date when a coin was graded. Thanks !!! :)

Timbuk3

Comments

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you can come close, like within a couple years depending on the slab its in. There are a few older threads with dates PCGS and NGC used certain slabs. You might have to do some digging as I have no links.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

By intent, it is not possible to determine when the coin was graded. However, as slab design changes and the length of serial numbers has changed, a general date can be estimated. Some serial numbers, for example PCGS 108XXXX, have known dates for grading since these were the first coins graded by PCGS.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can get a range of dates by the slab type. But even then, you can't be certain when the coin was actually looked at by graders and assigned a grade. You'd only know when it was last holdered. For example, if someone sends in a coin for reholdering, it may have been graded and last looked at by a grader quite awhile before that, even decades earlier.

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont know about PCGS. I know if you have an instagram and ask Paul at ngc on their account he can look it up for you. He has looked up a couple if my gen 2 holders.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019 8:28AM

no, but slab types give a general idea.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all for your helpful responses !!! :)

Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file