Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you sell at shows take note.

ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hand out business cards when someone shows interest in anything! A dealer I was talking to as the St. Louis coin show had a coin that I just couldn't get out of my mind after not buying it there. That little card made him a $1k sale days after the show ended!
Although I guess if I had a whole pocket full of them I'd have a hard time remembering who was who... but still!

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2019 10:57AM

Promotion is key to any business.

I use ebay, the least expensive advertising menu on earth.

Billions of eyeballs.

Every single sale I make whether it be 99 cents or 5 grand, the client gets a link to my website and a business card.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I am interested in something, I will ask for a business card (not many sellers have offered them up on their own) and write down the description of the item and the price. Sometimes it takes a moment or seven for the realization to sink-in.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be under the category of things that really didn't need saying.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have done that many times. I've tried to do it even more times, but the coin was already gone. :(

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sometimes snap a cellphone pic with the card and table number. It helps at the big shows to find the coin again after shopping around.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

You'd think so.. but the number of dealers who have offered a card are few and far between in my experience. Then again I don't go to Long Beach or FUN, mostly smaller shows.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You'd think so.. but the number of dealers who have offered a card are few and far between in my experience. Then again I don't go to Long Beach or FUN, mostly smaller shows.

If you are talking about part-time dealers who don't want to be bothered at home...

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, business cards are a must !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

He who has a thing to sell
    And goes and whispers in a well
    Is not so apt to get the dollars
    As he who climbs a tree AND HOLLERS!

• Options
    1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

At the biggest shows, I’ll take a business card when they are on the table and write the table number on the back along with any coins I’m interested in. Then I can come back more easily after I look around. If there is no business card I’ll jot info on something else I have with me.

1TwoBits

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file