Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I hate BIN's with best offer ..........

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

This just happened. An ok PCGS error came up on the bay for $90 or best offer. The $90 was a decent price. This is the part that I do not like, do I buy it instantly or make an offer? If I offer and it's a good price it may disappear.

So I decide that I do not "need" this coin and make an offer for $75. It is declined.

I then offered $80 and it is declined.

I then offer $85 and it is declined and I am WTF.

So I hit the BIN at $90

Just odd.

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, the problem as a seller is that everyone knows you'll take a lower price. Which to some means a "much lower price." So oftentimes, I get offers for a fraction of the value. And take into consideration shipping and final value fees, and it is a losing proposition.
    Probably better to just list it at your best price or roll the dice with an auction.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@Broadstruck said:
    Congrats to the seller :p

and the buyer, just more PCGS Mint Error inventory ;)

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Broadstruck said:
    Congrats to the seller :p

and the buyer, just more PCGS Mint Error inventory ;)

Time is money so how much can you mark up a $90 error to even bother calling it inventory?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    This just happened. An ok PCGS error came up on the bay for $90 or best offer. The $90 was a decent price. This is the part that I do not like, do I buy it instantly or make an offer? If I offer and it's a good price it may disappear.

So I decide that I do not "need" this coin and make an offer for $75. It is declined.

I then offered $80 and it is declined.

I then offer $85 and it is declined and I am WTF.

So I hit the BIN at $90

Just odd.

Speaking from the dealer side (and you should know this), it depends on time in market. If I list a coin right now for $90 BIN with a 30 day listing, I may take $80 in a week or 2 weeks, but I don't necessarily feel the need to sell it at a discount right out of the gate.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can sorta relate. I hate that venue. Sellers do all the work and buyers do all the complaining. Ebay makes money if you're happy or not.

• Options
    edited February 15, 2019 10:19AM

@U1chicago said:
    I’ve noticed when listing on the app that eBay automatically adds the best offer feature to bin listings. So a seller might not have intended to have an offer option but forgot to double check the listing.

>

Thank you for that information as that is new to me.

• Options

@U1chicago said:
    I’ve noticed when listing on the app that eBay automatically adds the best offer feature to bin listings. So a seller might not have intended to have an offer option but forgot to double check the listing.

It could also just be someone not understanding the ideal way to use best offer. In general, my thinking is if you can’t take 5%-10% off, then don’t use best offer.

In terms of what to do when you see a good price with a best offer option, it all depends on how much you want the item. If it’s something that I like or see is way underpriced, then I will pay full price. If I’m not too high on the item, then I’ll make an offer (let’s say for 10-20% less) and see what happens.

Recently I saw a nice Morgan (but not something that I had to have) on eBay for $100 or best offer. That grade and date usually goes for $90-$110. I made an offer of $80. The seller countered around $90 and while I debated someone else had an offer accepted. It didn’t bother me as I wasn’t fully sold on the coin. Now if I had really liked it, I would have paid the full $100 and not even bothered with the offer.

See my post below. It is also sometimes timing. There's no point in taking the first BIN if I think someone may pay full price.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    The worst is when you make an offer on a coin you do want and the seller fails to respond .......

.......... one time, I could not take anymore and after too much time, I just hit the BIN. A few minutes later, My offer was accepted, but I had already paid more :o:o:o

:o:s:D

• Options
    Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I list an auction with the best offer option and someone buys it straight away at full price without making an offer then I start wondering what I missed. Generally I price my BIN listings way over what I expect to actually sell for so I have plenty of room to come down when we go back and forth with offers.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

I normally incorporate a little wiggle room in my eBay listings. The longer the item is listed the more wiggle room is put into it. I probably need to place the reject all offers below a set amount to reduce the ridiculously low offers.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2019 10:33AM

Last month there was BIN for $1600 or best offer. I really liked the coin but thought the price was high.

I trolled with an offer of $800 and it was accepted instantly. I then thought to myself, did I paid too much for that coin? :o

The coin came in and I was extremely happy :)

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am OK with BIN with Best offer BUT not liking it a bit when my eBay Buck is expiring ......... ;)

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

It always depends on how the pricing structure is set up. Suppose a seller wants $100 for a coin. Listing at $100 with a best offer is dumb, but maybe list at $120 and hope an offer for $100 (or more) comes in. Yes, best offer indicates the price can drop, but it gives (or at least should) the buyer two options: pay more but know you get it, or wait for the offer to be processed and maybe save a bit, but someone else can come and scoop it up.

I sold my car recently and used this strategy. Based on KBB and some repairs it needed, I guessed its value was around $1500-2000 (the full range was something like $1300-2700 for terrible to great shape). I listed it at $2300 knowing that whatever price I listed, someone was going to try to talk it down a bit. I also was going to be happy at $1700. The first person who looked at the car offered $2000--sold. But, he would have gotten it for $1700 if he had asked that instead. But had a I listed at $1700, not only would I have lost out on the chance to make bonus money, I also would have been unlikely to get $1700 because a buyer would assume I could be talked down. Once a Best Offer is provided, there's a pretty obvious assumption that a lower price will be accepted.

@U1chicago said:

If that were the case, as a seller, I'd at least decline with a note that said the price is firm and the best offer being available was a mistake...

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you were successful in outbidding the competition, yourself.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a buyer I will do the back & forth, but there has been a few times where a difficult coin appeared and I hit the BIN instead of playing with offers. I just didn't want to chance losing it while waiting for a counter offer.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rob41281 said:
    If I list an auction with the best offer option and someone buys it straight away at full price without making an offer then I start wondering what I missed. Generally I price my BIN listings way over what I expect to actually sell for so I have plenty of room to come down when we go back and forth with offers.

When something is "way" overpriced, I don't even stop and look. I am not thinking someone will take 30% or 40% less. (Or in some cases, way more than that)

Funny how you still are not happy when you get your over inflated price, thinking someone just gamed you!!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Last month there was BIN for $1600 or best offer. I really liked the coin but thought the price was high.

I trolled with an offer of $800 and it was accepted instantly. I then thought to myself, did I paid too much for that coin? :o

The coin came in and I was extremely happy :)

Been there done that too.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

I hated OBO - until I really started trying it with my listings. That little gem has moved more of my coins than just traditional pricing. I’ll just list it higher and when offers come in lower than my floor I give them a best price counter.

I’ll also do auctions with best offer to extend the number of coins I can list. I usually get a free auction offer but will list the start price for slightly above what I want with a best offer. Sometimes I get offers quite a bit above what I’m willing to take to end auction early and it lets me list more on a smaller store subscription.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

And, I've had sellers take 50% of their price, and some refuse 5% off, you never know what they'll do...

• Options

@thevolcanogod said:

I’ll also do auctions with best offer to extend the number of coins I can list. I usually get a free auction offer but will list the start price for slightly above what I want with a best offer. Sometimes I get offers quite a bit above what I’m willing to take to end auction early and it lets me list more on a smaller store subscription.

I have seen quite a bit of these auctions with a best offer, I may have to look into that, Thank you.

I am paying listing fees right now as I have exhausted my free 250 listings.

• Options

Local comic guy used to say, "if it's not moving, raise the price". I actually think if you have watchers on an item, raising the price and accepting BIN at the original price might actually trigger a sale. Haven't tried it, but just saying...

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Local comic guy used to say, "if it's not moving, raise the price". I actually think if you have watchers on an item, raising the price and accepting BIN at the original price might actually trigger a sale. Haven't tried it, but just saying...

I am constantly raising the BIN price on items in my store to keep up with the market. I never lower the BIN.

• Options
    Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:

@Rob41281 said:

When something is "way" overpriced, I don't even stop and look. I am not thinking someone will take 30% or 40% less. (Or in some cases, way more than that)

Funny how you still are not happy when you get your over inflated price, thinking someone just gamed you!!

There's been a few times i've offered much lower on stuff I thought was way overpriced and been surprised to have it accepted. I list high just to make sure I don't leave money on the table, as Jeremy pointed out in the post about selling his car, I want to make sure I maximize my profit, you never know what someone is willing to pay.

I was thrilled for what my item sold for, it was a fantastic coin with beautiful toning. The kind of coin that you know will go for a premium just don't know how much. I listed for double what I paid with the best offer option, hoping to sell for 25% over my cost after deducting for ebay and Paypal fees. No offer was made, just bought at full BIN price, which was surprising to me and did make me wonder but definitely was happy about it.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

5 minutes later I log in and I'm horrified to see the auction was ended!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

As some have said, eBay tries to force sellers into including BO as an option. Under some circumstances it may be the default unless manually changed, and there may even be listing fees if no BO is activated.

If there is a BO I try to use it but I have seen cases where a BO is never accepted. In some of these cases maybe the listing has been out there a while and the price reduced already.

Just last night I bought two listings on a BO of about 20% less than BIN, so I was happy.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:

@asheland said:

5 minutes later I log in and I'm horrified to see the auction was ended!

Those spoons are sweet, too! I still have them. :D

• Options

I seem to remember selling some items on ebay a while back, and was offered a discount on fees if I accepted offers. This might explain a lot.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

I totally disagree with you.

Mainly because 95% of the vendor's BIN price is full retail or higher.

A seller must have a 'make an offer' option if they are serious about buying the coin.

Oddly enough, I purchased a coin very recently that was the exact same scenario as yours - a surprisingly good value BIN price with an option to make an offer.

I took a different route than you, I struck while the iron was hot and bought it immediately instead of trying to get a few bucks off.

Who cares about a few dollars when the purchase is a smart one.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I am constantly raising the BIN price on items in my store to keep up with the market. I never lower the BIN.

I'm not suggesting "keeping up with the market". I'm suggesting (as the comic guy suggested) creating the appearance of rising prices to create the illusion of a deal.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I'm not suggesting "keeping up with the market". I'm suggesting (as the comic guy suggested) creating the appearance of rising prices to create the illusion of a deal.

Exactly. :)

• Options

@TurboSnail said:
    I always like the best offer option and paid what I wished to pay instead of sellers.

For example: a $200 coin for sale with best offer.
    I offered $125
    Seller responded with $175
    I offered $125 again
    Seller responded with $150.
    I offed $125 for one last time!

And BANG! Seller raised his/her price to $250. And I just saved myself another $125! :p

I probably wouda done the same thing as the seller :D:o;):)

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@U1chicago said:

It could also just be someone not understanding the ideal way to use best offer. In general, my thinking is if you can’t take 5%-10% off, then don’t use best offer.

In terms of what to do when you see a good price with a best offer option, it all depends on how much you want the item. If it’s something that I like or see is way underpriced, then I will pay full price. If I’m not too high on the item, then I’ll make an offer (let’s say for 10-20% less) and see what happens.

Recently I saw a nice Morgan (but not something that I had to have) on eBay for $100 or best offer. That grade and date usually goes for $90-$110. I made an offer of $80. The seller countered around $90 and while I debated someone else had an offer accepted. It didn’t bother me as I wasn’t fully sold on the coin. Now if I had really liked it, I would have paid the full $100 and not even bothered with the offer.

See my post below. It is also sometimes timing. There's no point in taking the first BIN if I think someone may pay full price.

Holding out for top dollar in this market is a mistake IMHO unless the coin is super special or you don't mind having your money tied up for 6+ months.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

It can also create the appearance of an out of touch seller and cause people to not bother with your listings. If you're selling generics and list strong retail plus BIN prices, buyers will avoid all of your listings. There are a few sellers on eBay that I won't waste my time with. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.

• Options

90 and while I debated someone else had an offer accepted. It didn’t bother me as I wasn’t fully sold on the coin. Now if I had really liked it, I would have paid the full $100 and not even bothered with the offer.

Holding out for top dollar in this market is a mistake IMHO unless the coin is super special or you don't mind having your money tied up for 6+ months.

Possibly true, but that has nothing to do with what I said.

I didn't mention "top dollar" or "full retail". I mentioned my BIN price. No matter how high or low it is. If I list a Morgan dollar for $10 with a BIN, I'm not holding out for "top dollar". I'm holding out for $10. And even if I listed it for $20 or $100, there's no point in taking the first $15 offer if the coin has been listed for 15 minutes.

I will go one step further. If someone listed a coin for $100 and an hour later they accepted your $90 offer, you probably paid too much. The seller clearly felt that $100 was too high and knew it. They were just trying to bait you into offering $90.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@TurboSnail said:
    I always like the best offer option and paid what I wished to pay instead of sellers.

For example: a $200 coin for sale with best offer.
    I offered $125
    Seller responded with $175
    I offered $125 again
    Seller responded with $150.
    I offed $125 for one last time!

And BANG! Seller raised his/her price to $250. And I just saved myself another $125! :p

I probably wouda done the same thing as the seller :D:o;):)

I wouldn't have waited that long. At MOST, I will counter once. Then I'm done. I don't have time for 37 nitpicking offers.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

It can also create the appearance of an out of touch seller and cause people to not bother with your listings. If you're selling generics and list strong retail plus BIN prices, buyers will avoid all of your listings. There are a few sellers on eBay that I won't waste my time with. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.

This is, for the most part, untrue. People love sales. It's basic retail psychology. We're not talking about $1000 BIN for a $100 coin. We're talking $110 for a $100 coin with a 10% SALE. That net $99 might really move the coin.

I have buyers try to get $5 off a $200 coin all the time. But there are few coins where the difference between $200 and $220 is going to make you look "out of touch".

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a buyer, I've used the OBO to my seeming advantage. Although I've also run into some of the oddities described above, I like the feature. The most annoying instances are when the OBO isn't really in play, perhaps because the seller has put it up for reasons other than encouraging an offer, or by mistake, or is off somewhere and not monitoring their stuff.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today I saw an item that was BIN @ $49.95 not something I needed, but I collect railroad related items.
    It had a Make Offer for twenty bucks, never thinking it would be accepted.
    Yep my offer was accepted, much to my surprise.
    I also made an offer on a $1 type 1 gold AU 58 coin listed at $280.00 offered $260.00, I never even got a go pound same from the seller. well if it's still up when eBay has another 8 or 10% deal I may just buy the darn thing.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file