Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What would a bbce 1975 Topps sell for?

There has not been a regular (not mini) 75 baseball box on eBay in a long time that I have seen wrapped by bbce. Thoughts on what one would go for now?

Comments

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m almost sure he had one at the National last year that went for 13K. If one came up now I would say 15K. I just want a pack man, can’t even find a decent one. Racks and cellos are easy compared to wax.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say in the 13-15K range.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    I'd say in the 13-15K range.

I agree. Probably closer to $15k

Dave
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm betting in a auction form it is going to go north of $15k at this point. I think there are only a couple of single packs on Ebay that are in PSA 8...might be a GAI, can't remember. What are they asking for those, near $600?? Not that they are selling at that price but sure doesn't seem to be much out there.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

At this point, and at that price point, doesn't it have more to do with the novelty of an intact wax box than the value of the cards inside? Because you could get far more raw factory-fresh cards just buying racks and cellos right now for your money if you were on the hunt for high-grade cards...
    kevin

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tulsaboy said:
    At this point, and at that price point, doesn't it have more to do with the novelty of an intact wax box than the value of the cards inside? Because you could get far more raw factory-fresh cards just buying racks and cellos right now for your money if you were on the hunt for high-grade cards...
    kevin

IF (<-- big "if" there) I were buying this box, I'd be buying for "the novelty of an intact wax box." I dream of adding something like this to my collection. It's fun to have; It's fun to dream, too.

Andy

• Options

The escalating values of vintage unopened product, especially for the tougher issues, has now outdistanced any reasonable expectation of a return upon ripping at this point.

Despite the crisser's claim to the contrary, the unopened market is once again thriving.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ReedBBCEReedBBCE Posts: 25 ✭✭✭

$15K. Let's just say I know. LOL

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974 email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com

Facebook: bbcexchange
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    The escalating values of vintage unopened product, especially for the tougher issues, has now outdistanced any reasonable expectation of a return upon ripping at this point.

Despite the crisser's claim to the contrary, the unopened market is once again thriving.

Yes, but if the unopened market dips 1% at anytime in the next 30 years, the Crisser will come on here
    and tell us how he was correct, and that him and his buds are hitting hooters that night.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReedBBCE said:

There's an old saying on here, pictures or it didn't happen. :)

• Options

I still think in an auction format or pieced out and slabbed it would bring more than that. There have been a miniscule amount of PSA 75 Topps packs on Ebay the last couple of years. PSA 7's were bringing $400-500 and PSA 8's were bringing $500-600+. A nice looking box could bring well over $15k imo. If I'm sitting on one, one of those options is the way I'm going....most likely having them all slabbed. I think you are leaving money on the table selling at $13-15k.

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Not leaving money on the table after grading fees would it? Is busting sealed boxes and slabbing packs the new trend?

I’m really considering getting into some vintage bbce sealed boxes

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

how come nobody put up a photo of theirs yet?

• Options

@akuracy503 said:
    Not leaving money on the table after grading fees would it? Is busting sealed boxes and slabbing packs the new trend?

I’m really considering getting into some vintage bbce sealed boxes

I don't know. If you average $500 a pack that's $18k and what are grading fees for 36 packs?? I know it is $15/pack for under $300 in value but not sure over. I think busting packs themselves is the new trend, lol. Seem to be getting good money per card for breaking vintage packs.

• Options
    ReedBBCEReedBBCE Posts: 25 ✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@ReedBBCE said:

There's an old saying on here, pictures or it didn't happen. :)

I tried, but Steve didn't want me to take pics and post them.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974 email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com

Facebook: bbcexchange
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone remind me about the price disparity between 1975 full and mini box prices? I recall something about a huge 1975 Topps Mini Baseball Wax Box horde being sold into the hobby but I forgot the details.

Mike
  • Options

@ndleo said:
    Can someone remind me about the price disparity between 1975 full and mini box prices? I recall something about a huge 1975 Topps Mini Baseball Wax Box horde being sold into the hobby but I forgot the details.

Charlie Conlon is largely responsible for that. He bought cases and cases of 75 mini wax directly from Topps back in 1975 and at the time of his death, his estate auctioned off about 20 cases of 75 mni wax, about 4 cases of 75 mini cellos and a grand total of 3 75 mini rack packs (mini racks are the toughest form of unopened product to find from 1975). Right after the REA auctions, mini wax boxes were selling in the $800-$900 range, but fast forward to today and mini wax boxes now retail for 4K+ despite fairly plentiful supply.

Regular 1975 wax packs, on the other hand, have always been tough to find, though they too have risen significantly in value over the past 10-12 years.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couple of photos of 1975 Topps unopened.

Old auction from REA plus some cases for 75 including a rack case.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2019 3:50PM

I still can’t get my mind around what happened from 2012-2015. In Spring, 2012 Steve was still breaking 1973 and 1975 boxes and selling the packs on the site. I’m pretty sure I bought a perfect 1975 pack for $150. That means the box was sold for $5400. Then three years later one sold for more than double that?

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

I still can’t get my mind around what happened from 2012-2015. In Spring, 2012 Steve was still breaking 1973 and 1975 boxes and selling the packs on the site. I’m pretty sure I bought a perfect 1975 pack for $150. That means the box was sold for $5400. Then three years later one sold for more than double that?

And now that same box is 15K. Prices continue to rise and the unopened market continues to amaze.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:

And now that same box is 15K. Prices continue to rise and the unopened market continues to amaze.

But it is not for what might come out of the packs. Fritsch has plenty of 1975 cellos, so pack fresh cards can still be had. Even so, the price of the cellos has also climbed

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2019 4:34PM

@70ToppsFanatic said:

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:

But it is not for what might come out of the packs. Fritsch has plenty of 1975 cellos, so pack fresh cards can still be had. Even so, the price of the cellos has also climbed

Prices over the past couple of years have risen from around 2,500 to 4K for 75 mini wax boxes, too, despite fairly plentiful supply, as well.

Ironically, though, it's what may come out of the pack and that long shot high grade card that is partly responsible for escalating prices due to pack breaking.

• Options

This whole topic such as the op and the post on the 71 Topps rack has really got me to thinking. At what point do buyers of the "breakers" just say "no"? Say Vintage Breaks does 75 mini packs at like $22.50 per spot, I think. Obviously because they are cheaper and an easier sell at that price than picking up regular 75 packs at $400-500/pack which would have to go at $60-70/spot. So as the vintage wax/cellos/racks continue to dry up and the prices soar, when does it not become feasible to purchase packs for the sole purpose of ripping them? I know some people probably believe that we are already there on certain issues and the reality is that it is gambling and in the long run as a buyer you are always going to lose. While I have never been a collector of unopened packs, lately I'm going thru a bit of a moral dilemma about the opening of all these vintage packs that have remained sealed for so many years. I know it is a good thing for collectors/investors that are sitting on closets full of it watching prices rise and at some point you would have to say that the money is just too good to hang onto it any longer.
    On a related note....as a collector/investor of packs, someone that loves an unopened pack for all it is, would you be willing to sell some of your ultra rare stuff knowing that someone is going to rip it and sell it by the spot??

• Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    While I have never been a collector of unopened packs, lately I'm going thru a bit of a moral dilemma about the opening of all these vintage packs that have remained sealed for so many years. I know it is a good thing for collectors/investors that are sitting on closets full of it watching prices rise and at some point you would have to say that the money is just too good to hang onto it any longer.
    On a related note....as a collector/investor of packs, someone that loves an unopened pack for all it is, would you be willing to sell some of your ultra rare stuff knowing that someone is going to rip it and sell it by the spot??

THIS!!!!

Dave
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks grote for the details. Even though that is a large horde, I could see the hobby easily absorbing that amount.

Mike
  • Options

@ndleo said:
    Thanks grote for the details. Even though that is a large horde, I could see the hobby easily absorbing that amount.

You're welcome. The REA horde temporarily flooded the market but even prior to that mini wax boxes were more commonly found vs regular-sized boxes as Conlon had been slowly selling them off through the years. The interesting part of this is that mini cello packs (of which Conlon had a much lower stock) were/are tougher to find than their regular-sized counterparts but regular-sized 75 cellos command a higher price point than the mini cellos today. That was not the case about 15-20 years ago.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back when I first became interested in this stuff around 2002 I remember thinking of 1975 as way more common than surrounding years in wax, cello and rack. I viewed 1974 and older as very rare in racks and cellos, but 1975 as very common.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are my two '75 regular wax packs I still own. I'm also posting photos of the '73-'75 wax boxes I owned. I bought a run from 1972-76 for $6k in 2001. The 1975 box even came with the original Presto Straws ad that came with it. I wish I had kept these boxes intact as I'd be sitting on a gold mine now. I saved a few packs from each box, opened some and sold the rest on eBay. Hopefully some of the buyers who bought those packs kept them sealed and graded them.

• Options

Awesome pics, John!

This is one of my favorites from 75.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pack Tim. It's hard to believe how tough the regular wax packs are. I'm old school in the sense that I always viewed the minis as being worth 150% of the regulars as was the case in the 80s and 90s.

• Options

@gemint said:
    Nice pack Tim. It's hard to believe how tough the regular wax packs are. I'm old school in the sense that I always viewed the minis as being worth 150% of the regulars as was the case in the 80s and 90s.

Yes, it's funny how pricing turned upside down on these. I remember back in late 90s and early 2000s when 75 regular cellos were selling for $60-$70 each, a mini cello, when one would surface, would approach $200.

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Someone earlier posted the question of whether or not, as an unopened collector, you would sell a rare item to a breaker or to someone who would likely open the pack. For me, at least, the answer is no.
    kevin

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tulsaboy said:
    Someone earlier posted the question of whether or not, as an unopened collector, you would sell a rare item to a breaker or to someone who would likely open the pack. For me, at least, the answer is no.
    kevin

I'll sell anything if the price is right. Including my wife. :)

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240