Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Gold Shields

I have been building a set of PCGS certified Ikes and a number of them have these gold shields. What does that mean?

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019

Comments

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Thank you!

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can read about it here:

https://www.pcgs.com/goldshield

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

It means ur coins are pretty darn special!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good job, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

As sparky64 posted the link to the service description, I won't add to their info, but I will say that when I submit for grading, I often pick this service because it includes photographs of your coin so you don't need to pay for the True View service, in my opinion.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to have the little gold emblem on all mine because I apparently have OCD problems.
    That's what someone here said.

Now I'm happy :)

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm happy to buy coins already in Gold Shield holders but I'd be less inclined to pay extra for the service myself.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm really confused about Gold Shield.

1. It supposedly includes a TrueView. TrueView service costs $10 but Gold Shield costs $5. That doesn't make sense to me.
    2. They put a little yellow shield on the label which supposedly enhances security. I don't get that at all.
    3. The coin is "checked against PCGS' proprietary database." So what? Checked for what?
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what the PCGS web site says:

"With PCGS Gold Shield, each coin is imaged in high resolution, registered, and checked against PCGS’ vast proprietary imaging database. Our Gold Shield system benefits from artificial intelligence and machine learning, helping our graders quickly identify and remove counterfeits from the market. PCGS Gold Shield may then identify lost or stolen pieces resubmitted to us, ensuring your coin’s maximum value."

AND

"Gold Shield Means Added Security

Adding Gold Shield to your PCGS submission provides you with:

Enhanced Security Label with PCGS Gold Shield icon & hologram
    More likely recovery if your coin is lost or stolen
    Digital imagery for visual confirmation in PCGS Cert Verification
    PCGS Guarantee of Grade & Authenticity"

It was had for me to figure out the price schedule, so I skipped it.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charging less for Gold Shield service than for Trueview is a way for PCGS to promote the GS service. It’s a great deal for collectors who like pictures of their coins.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

(Newport Beach, California) — The Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) has rolled out PCGS Gold Shield Service, replacing PCGS Secure Service, effective since January 1, 2018.

PCGS Gold Shield retains the process and function of PCGS Secure in that it checks coins that come through PCGS Gold Shield against a vast proprietary imaging database. This is an invaluable aid for graders in quickly determining authenticity in the fight against increasingly sophisticated counterfeiters. The new system benefits from artificial intelligence and machine learning. With Gold Shield, PCGS remains two steps ahead of counterfeiters.

The look of the PCGS holder remains the same for Gold Shield as it did for Secure, with the reflective gold shield on the left-side of the coin label. While the customers won’t see the process changes, the name and description of the service are updated to reflect new technology and capability.

Don Willis, president of PCGS, a division of Collectors Universe, Inc. (NASDAQ: CLCT), recently announced the new system to all PCGS Authorized Dealers. He explains, “We have been testing and refining the system for over two years and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. It will become a crucial component of our fight against counterfeiting, which will help us preserve the integrity of the PCGS brand worldwide.”

John Nelson, PCGS’ chief technology officer, explained it this way: “Our graders are the best in the business. They set the bar for finding counterfeits and consistently grading coins. Now, with coins going through PCGS Gold Shield, our system is even more intelligent and faster than before. It speeds the grading and authentication process.”

Mark Stephenson, vice president of PCGS, clarified the service level to PCGS Collector’s Club Members further, saying, “PCGS continues to include PCGS TrueView [under the new Gold Shield service]. All Express and higher submissions automatically include PCGS Gold Shield service, so no need to request it at Express or above.”
    Stephenson continued, “With Gold Shield, PCGS continues to show the entire hobby the way forward, and reiterates our commitment to our position as the most trusted third-party grader. PCGS continually invests in pioneering and testing new technologies to promote the hobby of numismatics, to keep it safe for collectors, and ensure the highest quality service in the industry.”

PCGS has already begun implementing PCGS Gold Shield service. Transition officially took effect January 1, 2018.

Since its founding in 1986, PCGS experts have certified over 37 million coins with a total market value of over $32 billion. For information about PCGS products and services, including how to submit your coins for authentication and grading, visit the website of PCGS or call PCGS Customer Service at (800) 447-8848.

http://news.coinupdate.com/pcgs-unveils-new-gold-shield-level-of-service/

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@savitale It was "the big one" back in 2010. There are hundreds of threads here on the forum. Search "secure plus".

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always get the secure plus service when I send my coins in for grading if the value of the coin is 2,000 or more

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2019 6:48PM

The pricing is pretty straight forward here:

https://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

For PCGS Gold Shield™ , add $5 per coin in addition to the grading fee. Express Level and higher includes Gold Shield. TrueView™ is included with Gold Shield.

To make it more popular, they could make it mandatory for US classics like they do for world classics. I'm guessing enough people want non-secure US to keep it available.

Coins requiring Gold Shield: I: Non-U.S. coins submitted under any service level other than Modern. 2. Reholders valued above $3,000.

• Options

@smokincoin said:
    @savitale It was "the big one" back in 2010. There are hundreds of threads here on the forum. Search "secure plus".

Thanks. I searched for "Gold Shield" and didn't come up with much. I didn't realize it was called Secure Plus before.

• Options

Thanks for the responses. What I'm getting from this is that the intent is to guard against slabbing a counterfeit coin (by comparing to a database of known counterfeits), and to guard against counterfeit slabs by making the label a bit harder to duplicate. Presumably then the value to the submitter is the coin may be more attractive in the market place in the future because of the extra assurance that neither the coin nor the holder are counterfeit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file