Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Coin collector with card questions

I'm mostly active on the coin side and sports talk. But I have some questions. I'm looking to start purchasing some Jim Rice cards. He is my favorite player. I have an autographed ball and one of his bats from when I was a kid and I would like to add some of his cards now.

First question: I'd like to know where to go, what to read for a newbie so I learn before I make any purchases. I want to make sure I know how to tell a nice card from an over-graded one.

Second question: When I am ready to buy, is eBay the place? Or is the BST here even better? Other venues?

If there's anything else I should consider, let me know.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

I'd just go to eBay and type in Jim Rice PSA if you're looking for slabbed/graded cards. You can decide how much you want to pay based on the grade. PSA's system is a 1-10 with 10 being "gem mint". I think a run in PSA 8-9 of his cards could be relatively inexpensive. His 1975 Topps rookie card would be the most expensive.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the advice

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

While a player from Rice's era doesn't have the same number of parallels as a modern player, you might be surprised to know that there are 381 cards in his master set. I would suggest a narrow focus like Topps only to start, and from there you could then spread out to Fleer, Donruss, then all the OPC, Hostess and lesser known stuff.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/modern-player-sets-1970-present/jim-rice-master-set/composition/1911

And yeah, ebay is best. But as you might know from coins, nothing beats milling around a show in person and finally finding something you want.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Be sure to check out eBay's recent sales and/or PSA's auction prices for a general guideline on prices - it's not foolproof because you'll never know if there was a 15% buyer's coupon, a $10 seller's deal, eBay bucks, credit card cash-back deals, etc. But if you see a card on eBay for $400 and recent sales are closer to $200, you might choose to move along...

Just type "Jim Rice" here to get started with recent sales history at various PSA grades: https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/

Good luck.

Jim

• Options

@burghman said:
    Be sure to check out eBay's recent sales and/or PSA's auction prices for a general guideline on prices - it's not foolproof because you'll never know if there was a 15% buyer's coupon, a $10 seller's deal, eBay bucks, credit card cash-back deals, etc. But if you see a card on eBay for $400 and recent sales are closer to $200, you might choose to move along...

Just type "Jim Rice" here to get started with recent sales history at various PSA grades: https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/

Good luck.

Thank you for that link. It is VERY helpful.

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    While a player from Rice's era doesn't have the same number of parallels as a modern player, you might be surprised to know that there are 381 cards in his master set. I would suggest a narrow focus like Topps only to start, and from there you could then spread out to Fleer, Donruss, then all the OPC, Hostess and lesser known stuff.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/modern-player-sets-1970-present/jim-rice-master-set/composition/1911

And yeah, ebay is best. But as you might know from coins, nothing beats milling around a show in person and finally finding something you want.

You are right about buying in person-nothing beats it. Thank you

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Well you have to start out with his rookie card. There are two versions of the 1975 Topps card - regular and mini. Personally, I’d go with the regular first. A PSA 9 will run you over $400, a PSA 8 can be had for $65-70. The last PSA 10 went for almost $10k. It all depends on your budget.

For most collectors centering is the most important factor. For the 1975 card, pick a well-centered card where the side and bottom borders are about equidistant from the card edges.

I’m sure there are many parallels between graded coins and cards and you should get the hang of it quickly.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I suggest his 1975 Topps in PSA 8 or 9. Depending on budget.
    Be aware of possible negative qualifiers on the card
    such as: oc, o/c, st, pd, mc mk You will see it as psa 8 oc for example
    They are problems with the card and greatly affect the value,, Stay away from them. it might be why
    a card is priced much lower than a straight grade.

Also try to find one in a newer psa case as grading standards a a tad stricter now than years past imo

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    I suggest his 1975 Topps in PSA 8 or 9. Depending on budget.
    Be aware of possible negative qualifiers on the card
    such as: oc, o/c, st, pd, mc mk You will see it as psa 8 oc for example
    They are problems with the card and greatly affect the value,, Stay away from them. it might be why
    a card is priced much lower than a straight grade.

Also try to find one in a newer psa case as grading standards a a tad stricter now than years past imo

That helps a lot. I will have some digging in and learning what all that means and finding examples. Thanks!

• Options

@rcmb3220 said:
    Well you have to start out with his rookie card. There are two versions of the 1975 Topps card - regular and mini. Personally, I’d go with the regular first. A PSA 9 will run you over $400, a PSA 8 can be had for $65-70. The last PSA 10 went for almost $10k. It all depends on your budget.

Don't forget the O-Pee-Chee rookie too. Probably the hardest of the three to find.

• Options

@minnesotahusker said:

@rcmb3220 said:

Don't forget the O-Pee-Chee rookie too. Probably the hardest of the three to find.

My initial search seems to show a lot more of the minis than regular as well.

• Options

You guys are great. Within these answers and links is a lot for me to learn and go over. I didn't want to just jump in and you guys gave me some good info.

It might sound funny, but I lurk in the cards forum and enjoy it even though I know so little. I look forward to learning with this venture and then being able to enjoy this part of the forum even more.

Thank you!!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, be very careful when buying a "Details" card. Think of a 9 OC as a cleaned coin with uncirculated details. There is still value there, but not nearly as much as one that is straight graded.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@minnesotahusker said:

@rcmb3220 said:

My initial search seems to show a lot more of the minis than regular as well.

Some dealer found a huge hoard of unopened mini cases years ago. Others are more knowledgeable about it, but my guess is the regular size cards were produced in much greater quantity than the minis, but moms around the country put them in the trash can. The minis were sold over time and they survive at a much greater rate and in better condition.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

I would echo checking ebay to get an idea of sold prices and also check the scans people have to give you an idea of what subtle differences each grade may have. Some things might be more important to you i.e. you might find you'll give more on corners to get better centering or visa versa.

I collect Andre Dawson. And as a player from about that same time period as Rice, I find myself going after his playing days cards a lot more than new stuff. There's so many variations, serial #'d, sets, autos, game used, etc etc that it's overwhelming. Most of my newer stuff that I have obtained has come as an add-on of an order, or something to even out a trade.

• Options

@swish54 said:
    I would echo checking ebay to get an idea of sold prices and also check the scans people have to give you an idea of what subtle differences each grade may have. Some things might be more important to you i.e. you might find you'll give more on corners to get better centering or visa versa.

I collect Andre Dawson. And as a player from about that same time period as Rice, I find myself going after his playing days cards a lot more than new stuff. There's so many variations, serial #'d, sets, autos, game used, etc etc that it's overwhelming. Most of my newer stuff that I have obtained has come as an add-on of an order, or something to even out a trade.

Thanks for the input. Yes, I had no idea that there was do much available post-career. Like I said, I am new to cards. I collected them as a kid in the 1980s but not since then.

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

SI posters of Jim Rice really hit the mark as well

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2019 6:37PM

@saucywombat said:

I don't know what that means. Help me out.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck on your quest to collect Jim Rice cards.
    His rookie card came out the same year as my favorite player, George Brett.
    Other players whose card debuted in 75 are Robin Yount, Gary Carter, Fred Lynn, and Keith Hernandez.
    In addition, 1975 was the last regular card of Harmon Killebrew and Bob Gibson, and Al Kaline had a highlight card.
    Hank Aaron bookmarked the set, with card number 1 and card 660.

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@saucywombat said:

As far as anything Jim Rice, just saying these are pretty much the best thing going. Love this era of SI posters.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

I spent some time last night diving in, getting an understanding of what qualifiers are as mentioned above and trying to understand the lingo, etc.

I am having fun!

• Options

@saucywombat said:

@thisistheshow said:

@saucywombat said:

As far as anything Jim Rice, just saying these are pretty much the best thing going. Love this era of SI posters.

Were these in the magazines or issued separately?

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    I am having fun!

Bingo. Glad to see you're enjoying yourself. Post some pics of stuff you end up grabbing.

Andy

• Options

@ahopkins said:

@thisistheshow said:
    I am having fun!

Bingo. Glad to see you're enjoying yourself. Post some pics of stuff you end up grabbing.

I will definitely do that.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

thisistheshow- I remember ordering some of the SI posters, I think they had an ad for them in the magazine and
    you would check mark the posters you wanted and send in your order along with a check.
    They're much to big to fit in the magazine, and they didn't fold them up, sent them
    in those tube type cardboard containers, if I remember.

• Options

@Darin said:
    thisistheshow- I remember ordering some of the SI posters, I think they had an ad for them in the magazine and
    you would check mark the posters you wanted and send in your order along with a check.
    They're much to big to fit in the magazine, and they didn't fold them up, sent them
    in those tube type cardboard containers, if I remember.

I don't remember those. I will check them out.