Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there a new definition for original skin?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    I'm so used to butting heads with @Insider2, I'm not sure what to do when I agree with him.... ;)

LOL, I cannot remember any but hopefully we each were civil and learned something from each other. :wink:

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    I'm so used to butting heads with @Insider2, I'm not sure what to do when I agree with him.... ;)

But...let's see if I can clarify where I think our divergent definitions of "Original Skin" are coming from.

1) Some are equating "Original" with "Unmessed With". Therefore, to them, a VG coin with a wholesome aged look has an "Original Skin".

2) Some, (including me), equate "Original" with the mint manufactured surface of the coin. An MS coin that has not been dipped will have the original skin. One that has been dipped will have that skin impaired in some, possibly small, way.

(I'm not sure where toning does or doesn't apply. I, for one, think toning on the "Original Skin" still leaves it essentially original...until the point that it becomes a distraction. Others may disagree).

So by MY definition, a VF coin, no matter how wholesome, good looking, and desirable, does NOT have an Original Skin. It has the surface (or skin if you prefer), has been modified extensively by it's "life as a coin". It's not original. It might be unmessed with, or wholesome, or some other term....but it's not original. And only MS or high AU coins can have what would be called an "Original Skin".

This all goes back to the original question of the thread! Can we agree on what an "Original Skin" really is??

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought it meant the coins mom and dad were not married.

• Options

@keets said: "post it if you want but it is in bad taste to post PM's, a point almost universally agreed upon."

I've never been accused of following "universally agreed on rules" or having good taste.

BTW, I've only sent ONE caustic PM to someone posting examples of TPGS authentication errors. He has now become an acquaintance and has visited my office where we traded authentication secrets. I suggest you chill and enjoy our banter as much as I do. We are all "coinhead" friends here. I love you man! <3 Look, I hardly ever learn anything from people who agree with me. I enjoy reading opinions and posting with those folks I disagree with. :)

• Options

I always considered "skin" to be a "film." That attractive dull "glow" on one of those $20 Saints imported from Europe. The "putty" applied to gold coins that turns blue over time is artificial "skin."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file