Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

10 years and no increase in the population

I bought a PSA 9 1973 O-Pee-Chee Jim Catfish Hunter back in 2009. Ten years later and it remains a POP 1
with none higher.

Have you owned a PSA 9 card for a long time that has not seen an equal yet ? Not talking about 10's, just 9's.
How long have you had it without another 9 showing up ?

Comments

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

I self-subbed this one in 2013 and it is still the one and only 9....

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

The '83 Fleer Phil Niekro has been at pop 5 in PSA 9 and pop 1 in 10 since I got my 9 in 2008.

• akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

I can’t contribute but I can appreciate the value in a pop 1 anything. Must be a good feeling.
    However I would think in the back of my mind there are a few commons or not so popular cards going unnoticed with potential to be graded. Highly doubt that though...I just assume most every collection has been tampered with

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

@akuracy503 said:
    I can’t contribute but I can appreciate the value in a pop 1 anything. Must be a good feeling.
    However I would think in the back of my mind there are a few commons or not so popular cards going unnoticed with potential to be graded. Highly doubt that though...I just assume most every collection has been tampered with

5-10 years ago I started subbing lots of tall boys that were unique enough that you could get a Pop1, like 1983 Topps Foldouts and oddball issues like that.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • I have quite a bit of them. Some better ones that come to mind are the 2000 donruss playoff Hawaii trade show autos. The pop hasn't changed on these going on appr 12 years.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Gafline Garvey card has been a pop 1 for several years, but I don't remember how many years exactly. I own the only 9s on the other 2, but those have only been in holders a year or two.

• IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

@1970s said:

Have you owned a PSA 9 card for a long time that has not seen an equal yet ? Not talking about 10's, just 9's.
    How long have you had it without another 9 showing up ?

Yes, I have. Late in the 2002 National, I submitted a pretty scarce and gorgeous Mickey Mantle card to PSA. Being over-sized, my card would have to go back to their California headquarters to get graded, since they did not do anything but standard size at the National. I was not pleased about the prospect, but knew I wanted my card PSA-graded.

When the registered mail box arrived at my post office, and I brought it home, I went downstairs to be alone while I opened it. I knew the card to be mint when I bought it in the 80s, and even though I also knew I had taken meticulous care of it, I realized the time had come for my centerpiece to be professionally graded by the great card umpire. When you've lived with "the sure knowledge" your card was said to be mint, by Mr. Mint Alan Rosen no less, it was not an easy thing to open my box and unwrap the result. I knew PSA had broken many a heart with lower grades that shocked and disheartened those disappointed collectors. Finally, I had to know. The box was carefully opened, and when I peeled back the last layer of bubble wrap to reveal PSA's decision, I began to weep----WITH JOY! PSA's beautiful label said "MINT 9". I walked back upstairs, bawling. My wife knew it was either real bad news, or incredibly good news. I'm happy and thank Jesus it was the latter.

To this day, there is still only one MINT 9 of this card, a 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle. It is a profound condition rarity, with no 8s, a lone 7, a pair of 6s, and no 5s. That king-sized blue diamond is virtually dead-centered!

Back in the spring of 2016, I published a 480-page E-book on a CD, entitled Never Cheaper By the Dozen, a book about those special "free prize" sports collectibles from the golden era of 1947 - 1971. Although that's an inclusive period of 25 years, associated with silver, there wasn't anything "silver" about these items, for they all seemed to turn to gold! I collected several of the sets I discussed as a kid, and loved them all. Long to short, my beautiful Stahl-Meyer Mantle was once one of those supposedly "free prizes", and I devoted chapter 13 to its provenance, and the story of the promotion from whence it came.

Naturally, I also wrote about sets and other specific items I either no longer owned, nor ever had the privilege to have owned. I tried to choose terrific sets from that great era, and as long as I knew a lot about the set, and/or had a terrific story from another collector to anchor it, there was a place for it in NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. Sorry guys---I'm off-track here; excuse me. Keep these good stories coming. ---- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

PS --- If any of youse guys frequent Youtube, and you're a bit curious regarding a Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle, there's another collector who prepares videos about special cards. His moniker is bluejacket 66. Late in 2018, he did an amazing piece about finally landing the 1954 Stahl-Meyer Mantle. On YOUTUBE, type "Ultra rare Mickey Mantle Card". and you'll see a hand holding a yellow-bordered Mickey Mantle card---that's it. Please take the time to see it; and no, he did not ask me to tell you about it! Sure, he mentions my book, but 95% of it concerns his new card and stuff about the Stahl-Meyers.