Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1977 Topps PSA 10

Comments

• BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Wow...thats gotta hurt...very reasonable price. I wish he still had the pic up!
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I find it particularly amazing that the 1977 Cloth Stickers are easier to find in PSA 10 than the 1977 Topps. The Cloth stickers were inserted only two per pack (hello wax staining), have tons of fraying, almost always look out of focus, and typically have soft corners.

I've got a bunch of PSA 9's from both Cloth Stickers and the regular Topps issue -- and the regular issue Topps almost always look much stronger.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Something to keep in mind is that there's only been 5653 cards from 1977 graded so far. While it will still be tough to get a 10, let's see what happens as the total number of submissions increases.

I also know of a dealer who recently picked up six unopened 77 vending boxes. So long as things like this happen, the potential for 10s will still be reasonably high.

Something else to consider is that the numbers can change pretty quickly. When I got my PSA10 from 1972, it was the 32nd PSA10. That was in mid-February. As of this morning, there are 66 PSA10s from 1972. In four months, the population of 10s has increased by 34.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Well 72 out of 25851 has 66 10's. I hope 77 does not keep up the "harshness". 72 to 77 is now a 4.57 to 1 ratio taking 25851/5653, which would leave about 9 10's by the time 77 hit 25851. I have to think the 10's will rise considerably in the next couple years, but I am surprised it hasn't already with guys like dslsports, bbcexchange, and rushoeless submitting these from wax boxes and such.

I am not sure how fast 72's are being sent in(likely much quicker) but as a little guide 77 has risen 1575 cards since Decemeber and only 1 10 was awarded. In the same span 9's have risen by 333, which is actually a pretty good 21%.
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    why didnt you go after it Kurt?
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • I saw it arise in the pop report. I looked for weeks on ebay to see if it would come up for sale. After awhile I got tired of looking. So I just plain missed the auction. I already have too many favorite searches and 77 PSA 10 is not one of them as as you can see it doesn't often come up for bid. Oh well, maybe next time.
  • The 70's special certainl had an effect on 10's.

I mean the 1971's went from 6

to a lofty 7 !!!
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Kurt,

If you are looking for 1977 psa 8's, 9's and 10's try wording your ebay search like this and you won't miss any that come up.

1977 Topps PSA (8,9,10)

This is the way I search the years that I am interest in and it seems to work. The parenthesis allow you to see all 3 grades at once.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    I wouldn't hold out thinking 10's are gonna pop everywhere good luck on that. If a sudden jump in 10's occurs it'll be from somebody submitting from a unusual run of cards. For instance as soon as topps changed the blades. My two cents Matt
  • Kurt FYI- Dave & Adams has 1977 vending for $399 and a case for $11,000.

Are vending boxes sealed in any way?
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Is there really a $1,500 premium for a sealed vending case?

With 24 vending boxes for case -- I would instead purchase 24 vending boxes from him -- and have him deliver it to me in that sealed case!

Most 1970s vending I saw in the past sold for a discount in the vending case form -- for the same reasons that a wax box usually sells for less than each individual pack for early material....
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • MS - I had the same thoughts? Why the big premium for the case?? I may take a whirl with a vending box, however my experiences with 77 vending boxes have not been good to date, so I am leaning on skipping that. Depends on what discount can be attained....
  • 49er - vending boxes are not sealed in any way unless you find the entire case and noone opened it up.....which rarely happens anymore.

• << <i>49er - vending boxes are not sealed in any way unless you find the entire case and noone opened it up.....which rarely happens anymore. >>

How can you be sure it was not searched and the best cards pulled?
  • TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    I noticed the '77 vending case from Dave and Adams yesterday. I wonder why there's such a premium for it being in the case. But look at what you would get from that case:

24 boxes, 500 cards=12,000 total cards
    Assume 75% of the cards aren't PSA 8 or 9 worthy.
    Maybe 5% would be PSA 9, that's 600 cards; nearly a full set!

The law of averages says there's bound to be at least one 10 among those 12,000 cards.
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

I know from their ads that they are paying $9k for sealed cases....about a 22% markup.

John
  • The case is gone. They are down to a few boxes.
  • crazysccrazysc Posts: 291

<< <i>Something else to consider is that the numbers can change pretty quickly. When I got my PSA10 from 1972, it was the 32nd PSA10. That was in mid-February. As of this morning, there are 66 PSA10s from 1972. In four months, the population of 10s has increased by 34. >>

Yep - I had one submission which I think at the time doubled the 72T PSA 10s - check out all those checklist PSA 10s...
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Update - Another 500+ slabbed and PSA 10 #3 has been awarded. I wonder if bbcexchange or rushoeless has this one???
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Well, the population just went from 3 to 10. It looks like bbcexchange is doing to do quite well off his latest submission to PSA.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • The auctions ended tonight and I was a little stunned at what they sold for. The first one sold for less than $100 (I tried bidding again but just missed), I won the Medich for $103.50, and the Reuschel sold for $104 (I got sniped in the last seconds). I thought that they would go for a little more. I know that there is a lot of stuff out there, but I don't really forsee a huge population of 10's. I am curious to see the other 10's BBC has (he said he received 7).

The price on 9's have also gone down. I paid less than $11 for the commons I won and some went even cheaper. I wish I would've picked them all up. I think it's more cost effective to pay $10-$11 for a common 9 than cracking vending boxes. I just can't see getting 40 or more 9's in a box. Of course, you do have the opportunity to get the stars graded.

Adam
  • Adam,
    It depends... are you buying the cert# or the card? You can pick up 9's with obvious tilts and print roller marks for 7-12 bucks. The difference in one PSA 9 to another from '77 boggles the mind. There's a lot that can go wrong with any card produced before 1980...77's are uniquely difficult. No, you will probably not get 40 9's in a box. I pull an average of 12 truly great cards and 20-30 PSA 9-quality cards...of course I would never submit some of the garbage that gets 9's from some of the larger submitters. I know I'd be looking at "8's" for my tilts and "pd's" for my roller marks. 77's are a little like 71's in that when they're nice they're gorgeous...when they're not...they're really unattractive.

I don't know how far along you are in your graded set but if you cherry pick the cards yourself and go through ten vending copies to find one with wet color, thick gloss and four tight corners only to see it land an 8...meanwhile you buy a coaster off eBay with PD and fuzzy corners and tilts and focus so poor you can't tell if it's Burt Hooton or Doug Rau in a 9 holder you'll know where I'm coming from here.

I did bid on a couple cards tonight that were centered w/o tilts that are tougher to find nice. These cards came from racks so they should have nice corners and be clean.

A '77 that grades "10" should look like a tiffany. It should at LEAST be as nice as the 9 you already own. I truly hope yours meets this criteria, and congratulations on your purchases.
  • FYI on the pop report...

Dec 2001

Total 3859

10's (1) 9's (368)

June 2002

Total 5434

10's (2) 9's (701)

Currently

Total 6859

10's (14) 9's (1193)
  • About 6 months ago my friend sent in 4 Pete Roses from 1977. He guessed 3 had shots at a 9, and 1 would come back probably a 6 due to a bubble and poor overall eye appeal. He sort of threw the last one in to maybe make the other 3 look stronger. Well, low and behold, the 3 nicest ones came back PSA 8, and the poorest example came back................ PSA 9!!! So the argument presented earlier about inconsistencies on this issue held true for my friend. Go figure.
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭
    You almost have to wonder, then, if PSA slabbed the wrong Rose. But I can't EVER imagine PSA making a mistake.image