Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Collecting Direction and needing advice

So I’ve settled on 1990 topps traded - in my price range and plentiful supply. I am going to pursue a PSA 10 collection and was curious as to what to look for in a card. From what I’ve read, the biggest are:
Centering
Sharp corners
Blemishes, etc.
what else do I need to be aware of?
Also, does anyone actively use the PSA app? I think there’s a feature on it that lets you take a pic and tells you what the potential grade would be.

Also, eventually I am going to get a membership, and I’ll submit my freebies of what I think a psa 10 is, and see what comes back, just to give me an idea of I think is a psa 10.
Any and all advice welcome!

Tagged:

Comments

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    Submitting to try to get 10s is likely to be extremely frustrating unless you will be OK with all of the 9s you will get in the process. If you are only interested in 10s, buying them will likely be more cost effective and less frustrating.

I know, but I enjoy the thrill of cracking packs, and would really enjoy finding them myself. That’s why I was gonna use the free submissions to get an idea for grading. If I can find a cheap psa 10, that’d be awesome! I never considered that but will going forward!

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun!

Andy

@ahopkins said:
    Have fun!

Thanks! I’m super stoked!

• Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Get yourself a 10x jewelers loupe to check the cards. They look a LOT different under magnification.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:

@ahopkins said:
    Have fun!

Your enthusiasm is refreshing. A reminder of how I was when starting my 1978 Topps set years ago.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

@softparade said:

@Rofles said:

@ahopkins said:
    Have fun!

Your enthusiasm is refreshing. A reminder of how I was when starting my 1978 Topps set years ago.

Thanks! It’s gonna be a lot of fun!

@Tecmo Boil said:
    Get yourself a 10x jewelers loupe to check the cards. They look a LOT different under magnification.

I’ll be sure to check them out! Thanks!

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with everyone so far. Get a loupe (you don't need anything fancy, I got mine for $12 on amazon) and maybe buy a card from the set that already graded PSA 10. That way, if you're curious about something ("will this edge qualify for PSA 10?" "is this corner going to knock this down to a 9?") you'll have a baseline to compare it to right at your fingertips.

Sounds like a fun project. I remember when those Scott Erickson rookie cards were hot.

Arthur

Be sure to post your progress here. We love following and being a part of the journey with you.

I'm glad this brings you enjoyment. Good luck.

Andy

Andy

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2019 1:28PM

Are you collecting the cards in the set, or PSA 10s? A quick glance tells me you need 132 cards to complete your adventure. And, there are 2 sets in the Registry, one darked out, the other has about 5 cards...all PSA 10. Those PSA 10s have VERY low POPs, like 1 of 2, etc.

You have a daunting task, the worst of it (IMO) is that you will quickly get some PSA 10s, not by your eye and loupe, but by searching on eBay. You have to ask yourself...am I really collecting the cards, or am I collecting PSA 10s? If it's the latter, you may as well sit back and buy the cards as they come up, which could take eternity.

If you go the raw route...yup, kinda thrilling to send in a card you paid 2 bucks for and you pop a 10. However, be very, very mindful that this route will find you with more 1990 Topps Traded UNDER PSA 10 than you ever though were on this planet. Those of us who have ventured into the soup, have stories of selling untold number of dupes, flawed cards like Stain, Miscut, Off center...it goes on and on. You will DETEST...D-E-T-E-S-T the PSA turn around time for your submission...think months.

Another thing...is you search the PSA Registry and only look at 1990 Topps Traded and see cards there, other collectors may have PSA 10s of cards you're looking for, but maybe in a team set, or player set. You can generate a friendly private email to those folks and see if they'd be willing to sell, or at least keep you in mind should they day come they want to sell. I actually had a guy inquire about a card in my Bill Lee set that is and still is a 1 of 1...he all but begged me to sell him the card. He didn't seem to grasp the concept that if I sold him the card that I no longer had a set. After much contact, he finally wished that I would die. True story...there are some whackos out there.

Use the sales function on PSA to see what, if any of the cards you need have sold. At least you get an idea of what to bid if you go this route. Create an Excel spreadsheet...if you don't know how, have a buddy help you. You will go bonkers with notes, Excel is the ONLY way to keep track of what you have, what you paid, what you got at a show, when you sent the card in, blah, blah.

I own the Luis Tiant and the Bill Lee Master sets, 104 cards and 40 cards respectively. Was it great to finish YUP was it easy No, no and no. Fortunately for you, your set does not involve foreign offerings (not just OPC Canada), but the ever elusive Venezuelan cards.

So, take a good think on your adventure...sounds cool, but caveat emptor. You may be in for a frustrating and very, very bumpy ride...especially as you close in on the finish line.

Bottom line...I'd go eBay.

GL,
    Al

@ahopkins said:
    Be sure to post your progress here. We love following and being a part of the journey with you.

I'm glad this brings you enjoyment. Good luck.

Andy

Thanks so much! I will be sure to! I’m really pumped for this!

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Are you collecting the cards in the set, or PSA 10s? A quick glance tells me you need 132 cards to complete your adventure. And, there are 2 sets in the Registry, one darked out, the other has about 5 cards...all PSA 10. Those PSA 10s have VERY low POPs, like 1 of 2, etc.

You have a daunting task, the worst of it (IMO) is that you will quickly get some PSA 10s, not by your eye and loupe, but by searching on eBay. You have to ask yourself...am I really collecting the cards, or am I collecting PSA 10s? If it's the latter, you may as well sit back and buy the cards as they come up, which could take eternity.

If you go the raw route...yup, kinda thrilling to send in a card you paid 2 bucks for and you pop a 10. However, be very, very mindful that this route will find you with more 1990 Topps Traded UNDER PSA 10 than you ever though were on this planet. Those of us who have ventured into the soup, have stories of selling untold number of dupes, flawed cards like Stain, Miscut, Off center...it goes on and on. You will DETEST...D-E-T-E-S-T the PSA turn around time for your submission...think months.

Another thing...is you search the PSA Registry and only look at 1990 Topps Traded and see cards there, other collectors may have PSA 10s of cards you're looking for, but maybe in a team set, or player set. You can generate a friendly private email to those folks and see if they'd be willing to sell, or at least keep you in mind should they day come they want to sell. I actually had a guy inquire about a card in my Bill Lee set that is and still is a 1 of 1...he all but begged me to sell him the card. He didn't seem to grasp the concept that if I sold him the card that I no longer had a set. After much contact, he finally wished that I would die. True story...there are some whackos out there.

Use the sales function on PSA to see what, if any of the cards you need have sold. At least you get an idea of what to bid if you go this route. Create an Excel spreadsheet...if you don't know how, have a buddy help you. You will go bonkers with notes, Excel is the ONLY way to keep track of what you have, what you paid, what you got at a show, when you sent the card in, blah, blah.

I own the Luis Tiant and the Bill Lee Master sets, 104 cards and 40 cards respectively. Was it great to finish YUP was it easy No, no and no. Fortunately for you, your set does not involve foreign offerings (not just OPC Canada), but the ever elusive Venezuelan cards.

So, take a good think on your adventure...sounds cool, but caveat emptor. You may be in for a frustrating and very, very bumpy ride...especially as you close in on the finish line.

Bottom line...I'd go eBay.

GL,
    Al

Thank you for all the advice! I am going for a PSA 10 90 Topps traded set (not Tiffany).
    I am going the raw route because the cards are so easy to get, and I don’t mind going through them.
    The horror stories have me a bit worried on the turnaround. I’m hoping to do like, 2 bulk submissions/ year if possible.
    I have a very daunting task ahead of me, but I’m very much looking forward to it and I know I’m going to enjoy this journey very much! And I’ll for sure get that spreadsheet made! Thanks! 😊

I forgot to add one comment...after looking at eBay, it appears that your adventure may not be as painful as other complete sets to accomplish. There happens to be a 1990 Topps Traded complete set on eBay right now for under $6. I would snap that up in a heartbeat...as you open the box (assuming you buy it), carefully place all cards in card saver sleeves. You can then prepare for a bulk submission, which should yield you several PSA 10s. If you haven't already, join the Collector's Club to pick up some free submissions. For the incredibly low price of complete sets, you may consider just buying and buying complete sets, cull the ones you need, send them in and hope for 10s.

At this point you wait it out, but you can check your submission status online and when your submissions pops, you will be able to see your grades before you get the cards back.

GL, perhaps your road won't be so tough. Enjoy the ride.
    Al

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck!

Getting 10's is very hard. Sounds like a great project. I don't know what makes a 9 a 9 and not a 10 in many instances. You will quickly learn not to submit anything with any kind of flaw. Centering may be the exception, but it better be pretty close to perfect.

Something not mentioned. You are probably going to get back a LOT of 9's. You might want to experiment with sending the "better" ones in for review and cracking out some to send in for a second (or third) submission.

After all, if it's a 9 and you can't see why it didn't make 10, it's got to be CLOSE. I think a lot of PSA 10's started out as 9's.

Have fun!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@MCMLVTopps said:
    I forgot to add one comment...after looking at eBay, it appears that your adventure may not be as painful as other complete sets to accomplish. There happens to be a 1990 Topps Traded complete set on eBay right now for under $6. I would snap that up in a heartbeat...as you open the box (assuming you buy it), carefully place all cards in card saver sleeves. You can then prepare for a bulk submission, which should yield you several PSA 10s. If you haven't already, join the Collector's Club to pick up some free submissions. For the incredibly low price of complete sets, you may consider just buying and buying complete sets, cull the ones you need, send them in and hope for 10s.

At this point you wait it out, but you can check your submission status online and when your submissions pops, you will be able to see your grades before you get the cards back.

Al

Thanks! I’m hoping it won’t be too tough! I saw a case on BBCE is going for 55$, I was gonna pick that up, and I won an auction for 50 more of the box version on eBay for 20$. So that’s the route I was gonna go. I’ll have to pick more sleeves up too; I bought very few. Also, can I submit them to psa in a soft plastic sleeve? Or do I have to take them out or anything? Thanks!

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Like others have said you will have to wait 5-6 months to get your grades. When you do its most likely to be a low percentage of 10's. What do PSA 10's 1990 Topps Ttaded go for? Are there any biggies? You will spend a lot on grading but if you have the means, go for it and enjoy,

@ElvisP said:
    Like others have said you will have to wait 5-6 months to get your grades. When you do its most likely to be a low percentage of 10's. What do PSA 10's 1990 Topps Ttaded go for? Are there any biggies? You will spend a lot on grading but if you have the means, go for it and enjoy,

That’s ok! I’m am gonna make a gem 10 collection, and prices are VERY reasonable, so I can put more into submissions! I’m planning bulk submissions anywhere in the 200-400 card range, If they’re not 10, that’s ok too. I’ll workup to it! 😊

• VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I love your enthusiasm as well but I just want you to realize your are going to spend thousands of dollars on a set that is only worth a small percentage of what you spend. If money is no object then more power to you bro!

@Rofles said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

Al

Thanks! I’m hoping it won’t be too tough! I saw a case on BBCE is going for 55$, I was gonna pick that up, and I won an auction for 50 more of the box version on eBay for 20$. So that’s the route I was gonna go. I’ll have to pick more sleeves up too; I bought very few. Also, can I submit them to psa in a soft plastic sleeve? Or do I have to take them out or anything? Thanks!

You should never use a "soft sleeve", I would suggest getting some card saver 1 sleeves. Get them on Amazon Prime (free shipping), or eBay. Were I you, I'd get 200 to get you rolling. Yup, you gotta take them out of the box you buy. This is where you can hurt your submission...IOW, gently place the card into the card saver sleeve...if you nick the card with a finger nail, you have just toasted your shot at a ten. You'll figure it out.

@VintagemanEd said:
    I love your enthusiasm as well but I just want you to realize your are going to spend thousands of dollars on a set that is only worth a small percentage of what you spend. If money is no object then more power to you bro!

Shouldn’t be too bad! I can get a box for a dollar from BBCE or a case of 100/132 count for 55. It’s not hard to come by the set; when I make. I’m going to use my free subs to get an idea for what to look for to make my bulk submission as efficient as possible! Thanks!

@MCMLVTopps said:

@Rofles said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

Al

You should never use a "soft sleeve", I would suggest getting some card saver 1 sleeves. Get them on Amazon Prime (free shipping), or eBay. Were I you, I'd get 200 to get you rolling. Yup, you gotta take them out of the box you buy. This is where you can hurt your submission...IOW, gently place the card into the card saver sleeve...if you nick the card with a finger nail, you have just toasted your shot at a ten. You'll figure it out.

What is IOW? Also, I ordered a box last night, will get it Tuesday before all the cards show up! Also, how do you go about measuring borders? Ruler? Or just eyeball it? Thank you!

This is a lot of fun. I'm already enjoying the ride. Keep us posted with your progress. Also, pictures/scans of what you're submitting will be equally well-received by all of us.

Andy

Andy

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2019 10:26AM

@Rofles said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@Rofles said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

Al

What is IOW? Also, I ordered a box last night, will get it Tuesday before all the cards show up! Also, how do you go about measuring borders? Ruler? Or just eyeball it? Thank you!

IOW=In Other Words

I just eyeball centering personally, from scans you can use Jruler on a PC or there are centering tools (like this one: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/955970/sale-new-grademaster-card-centering-tool-for-sale-update-now-includes-ebay-listings/p1) to help if you're not comfortable with eyeballing.

ETA: This thread has good visuals to help "train" your eye: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/897961/a-guide-to-centering

Any progress (or updates) on your 1990 Topps Traded set?

Andy

@ahopkins said:
    Any progress (or updates) on your 1990 Topps Traded set?

Hey! Yes; I’ve gone through only about 10 out of the 50 boxes I have, and good lord,
    Whoever was in charge of the cutter must’ve had one too many Smithwicks before work! (Get it?) Lol. I’ve kind of put this on the backburner for now though, as I am currently working on a vintage collection! I’m going to start going through my boxes again after my submit my first psa submission! Ty for asking!