Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

St. Louis Browns Logo

I just noticed this on a 1953 card. Why in the world was this the Browns’ team logo??

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2019 12:03AM

That's Brownie the Elf. It was the Browns' logo in 1952 and 1953, coinciding with Bill Veeck's ownership of the team (he bought the team in 1951, and then was forced to sell them, prior to their move to Baltimore in 1954).

It may be a play on Eddie Gaedel, who famously went to the plate in a game in 1951.

Brownie was also the original logo for the Cleveland Browns in the NFL.

Steve

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have no idea Dave.

But I'm guessing Bill Veeck changed the logo just to get attention - he was referred to as "Brownie the Elf " - I only know that since it was used also and before - I believe - by the Cleveland Browns FB team in the early 40s? Don't think it was called "Brownie" tho?

I just looked up to see if there's anything on the "reason" behind the change? Couldn't find anything other than the logo they had before.

Mike
  • Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Brownie the elf became mascot of the Cleveland Browns in the late 1940s under the ownership of Arthur McBride. Bill Veeck was owner of the Cleveland Indians at that same time. Veeck bought the St. Louis Browns in 1951. I'm speculating, but Veeck was likely familiar with Brownie the elf from his time in Cleveland, and thought it was a good fit for his baseball team as well.

-Michael

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry