Home U.S. Coin Forum

If you send Registered Mail packages with the paper tape

This is something that I always found quite dumb when it comes to the brown paper tape that you have to use for Registered Mail packages. So using the Registered Mail option with the USPS is their most secure shipping method for shipping high value items, and it requires the brown paper tape to seal all the seams of the package. This is the kind of tape that basically feels like thick paper and it has an adhesive on the back side that is activated by water. If your shipping something high value, or very heavy, or both then you will probably want to put extra clear packaging tape on the box to make sure it doesnt break open during transit. The brown paper tape rips very easily so its not really suitable as the only method for securing the package closed. The problem is that the adhesive on the brown paper tape is designed to stick to the cardboard of the box, and it doesnt stick well at all to the clear packaging tape. You can't just tape the brown paper tape down with clear packaging tape because then it looks like someone may have removed the brown paper tape to get inside the package. This all may not be an issue for some packages that are light and maybe have self adhesive closures, because the brown paper tape alone may be enough to secure the package closed without needing clear packaging tape. But no matter what the value of the package, its not too reassuring to use just the brown paper tape without any clear packaging tape on heavier packages.

This brown paper tape is at best "passable" when it comes to sticking to a cardboard box, but sticking to the clear packaging tape is a whole different story. I use to work for UPS and we saw alot of packages for Amazon and they love to use this paper tape and all too often I saw it not sticking to the boxes well at all.

Has anyone else realized this?

Does anyone make a brown paper tape that has a regular pressure sensitive adhesive, so it will stick well to the clear packaging tape underneath, and also that the usps will accept on Registered Mail packages?

Comments

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2019 10:53AM

Secure the package using brown reinforced tape (has a rough surface), then do the Post Office sealing using plain paper tape. The adhesive works fine on the reinforced tape.

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve double boxed box heavy items. If it fits it ships boxes full of 90% silver let’s say. It’s possible to fit one box inside another with a little force. Maybe tape the inside box with whatever you want, then use the required tape for registered on the outer box.

There is also a water activated paper tape with fiber reinforced threads. It’s hard to find but can be ordered.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use reinforced paper tape, it has strands of fiber in it to keep it from tearing easily.
    More variations than you could possibly need are available on mcmaster-carr and they ship quickly.

I agree however that the water activation is a pain in the hind quarters.

Collector, occasional seller

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

All good observations/complaints that the OP has, but the rules are the rules.

I use the reinforced paper tape. If you get it wet enough but not too wet, it does the job.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found you need to get the adhesive pretty wet, then let it dry on the package. If you don't get it wet enough, it's not going to stick.

I use this stuff:

amazon:XFasten Reinforced Gummed Kraft Paper Tape, 2.75 Inches x 375 Feet

$10.50 a roll and does a decent job, never had a problem with it.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    Use reinforced paper tape, it has strands of fiber in it to keep it from tearing easily.
    More variations than you could possibly need are available on mcmaster-carr and they ship quickly.

I agree however that the water activation is a pain in the hind quarters.

It's what I use and it is rather hard to find which is why I got a large roll of it. As far as water activation I use a moistened sponge.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

I usually break out the hot glue gun when boxing an item for registered mail- glue every flap of the box shut before taking to the post office and having them apply their brown wet tape .

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2019 1:07PM

Reinforced paper tape dragged across a wet sponge...very easy...definitely not easy to tear

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reinforced brown paper tape does not tear. Best I have found is at Staples.

The rich get richer, everyone else gets a government program.

• konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2019 3:11PM

The primary issue that I was trying to address is the fact that the water-activated brown paper tape (gummed tape) does not stick well to clear packaging tape at all. If your package is light and you plan on using only the WA brown paper tape to hold your package closed then your fine because the WA paper tape does hold ok to the cardboard of the box. I don't feel confident in using only WA paper tape to hold a 50 pound box closed, the adhesive doesnt stick nearly as well the adhesive of a pressure sensitive clear packaging tape.

Does that Uhaul paper tape have a glossy finish? If so it may not absorb the ink from the stamp that the USPS has to put on your Registered Mail package.

In the end I don't care about how strong the paper tape is that I use, because I prefer using the clear packaging tape to do all the securing of the box. I put the paper tape on only because its required for Registered Mail packages, not because it provides any strength to the package.

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2019 3:27PM

I would not use any type of brown tape over any plastic for the reason you mention. When I reuse a box I remove any tape and stickers prior to sealing up completely with brown reinforced tape. Completely meaning I don't show any seam or portion of the cardboard. It's 'wrapped' in the reinforced brown tape like a present. I cut to length (with extra for overlap) and wet good with a sponge and apply immediately before is dries and then gently wipe of the package with a dish rag to remove any excess moisture.

If you ship registered you can only use the brown reinforced tape because they ink stamp it to death to ensure no one messes with it.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2019 3:36PM

@konsole what type of paper tape are you using? I find that it sticks to the cardboard very well when moistened, I don't think I've tried to put it on plastic tape. It should be less prone to breaking than any clear tape as well.
    This is the stuff I am using.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/76235a77

Collector, occasional seller

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2019 5:29PM

@WildIdea said:
    I’ve double boxed box heavy items. If it fits it ships boxes full of 90% silver let’s say. It’s possible to fit one box inside another with a little force. Maybe tape the inside box with whatever you want, then use the required tape for registered on the outer box.

There is also a water activated paper tape with fiber reinforced threads. It’s hard to find but can be ordered.

You can get the reinforced brown paper tape from Staples.

theknowitalltroll;

@konsole said:
    This is something that I always found quite dumb when it comes to the brown paper tape that you have to use for Registered Mail packages. So using the Registered Mail option with the USPS is their most secure shipping method for shipping high value items, and it requires the brown paper tape to seal all the seams of the package. This is the kind of tape that basically feels like thick paper and it has an adhesive on the back side that is activated by water. If your shipping something high value, or very heavy, or both then you will probably want to put extra clear packaging tape on the box to make sure it doesnt break open during transit. The brown paper tape rips very easily so its not really suitable as the only method for securing the package closed. The problem is that the adhesive on the brown paper tape is designed to stick to the cardboard of the box, and it doesnt stick well at all to the clear packaging tape. You can't just tape the brown paper tape down with clear packaging tape because then it looks like someone may have removed the brown paper tape to get inside the package. This all may not be an issue for some packages that are light and maybe have self adhesive closures, because the brown paper tape alone may be enough to secure the package closed without needing clear packaging tape. But no matter what the value of the package, its not too reassuring to use just the brown paper tape without any clear packaging tape on heavier packages.

This brown paper tape is at best "passable" when it comes to sticking to a cardboard box, but sticking to the clear packaging tape is a whole different story. I use to work for UPS and we saw alot of packages for Amazon and they love to use this paper tape and all too often I saw it not sticking to the boxes well at all.

Has anyone else realized this?

Does anyone make a brown paper tape that has a regular pressure sensitive adhesive, so it will stick well to the clear packaging tape underneath, and also that the usps will accept on Registered Mail packages?

You must have missed all of the registered mail threads posted here including a recent one on the Precious Metals forum. Use the reinforced brown paper tape mentioned by several members. Available from Staples and other sellers. Also registered is handled differently from regular mail so the risk of damage is small.

theknowitalltroll;
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ModCrewman said:
    I've used this U-Haul paper packing tape, it doesn't require water activation and doesn't tear easily, I've never questioned whether it would hold my package closed. It is almost plasticized a bit that makes it stronger, but still stampable for registered mail.

Thanks Mod, I figured there was a better way, I spent 30 min. at the PO today wrapping a box with the water activated tape and my box was a toner box (fitting) but its surface was shiny and that tape didn't stick well until I over-wrapped the whole bleeping box. You know, by then other people were inline and I had to jump in front and o course there all looking at me like what the heck are you doing jumping in front of me, I just showed them the box and shook my head :) stitches.

edited February 1, 2019 7:25PM

The paper tape I use is reinforced with the strands of fiber rubbing through it, but the strength of the tape is not my primary concern like I have said a few times now. My primary concern is that the WA paper tape does not stick well at all to clear packaging tape. If I have a very heavy package thats going Registered Mail I want to make sure that thing is really well wrapped up tight, I want zero chance of the contents coming out even if the box is dropped or even if someone puts moderate effort into trying to get inside.

The only 2 options I see for heavy Registered Mail packages are...

1 - Dont use any clear packaging tape and just wrap the package all over several times with the WA paper tape.
    2 - Use clear packaging tape and then I can finish off the job by just covering the seams with pressure sensitive paper tape, since pressure sensitive paper tape will probably stick well to the clear packaging tape.

I can deal with using option 1, but I'm just pointing out how it seems crazy that this WA paper tape (which is only required to cover the seams of the box) is not compatible with the tape that is most commonly used as the method to secure the entire box closed. So I should be able to tape the box closed with the clear packaging tape and reinforce the box with as much of the clear packaging tape I want, and then cover just the seams with the WA paper tape, except that this doesnt work because the paper tape wont stick hardly at all to the clear packaging tape.

So either deal with option 1 and cringe at the thought of having to deal with all that measuring and cutting and the messiness of applying the water to the tape, or try to get a pressure sensitive tape that the USPS will accept for Registered Mail packages. Wrapping the package in plenty of clear packaging tape and then easily applying the pressure sensitive paper tape to the seams sounds much more desirable then dealing with option 1.

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2019 8:01PM

@BAJJERFAN said:

@WildIdea said:

You can get the reinforced brown paper tape from staples.

So you would think! I had a little tape drama one year and I couldn't turn any up. First, we don't have a Staples in my area, just an Office Max and an Office Depot, one now closed and the other downsized. At the time I went to both of them and they only had brown tape that wasn't water activated gum glue, just regular tape that was brown in color. I did find a roll of non reinforced at a mom and pop office supply shop that got me through my immediate need. Nowadays, I don't bother driving all over town and Google a supplier and have it shipped. That is why I mentioned it can be ordered, but not necessarily so if its on hand locally.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

The odd thing? Brown paper tape, plain or reinforced water activated or self sticking - - - NONE are available at the Post Office ! Other shipping supplies are on sale in the lobby. They require paper tape on all seams but you can't buy it there.

I got some reinforced water activated paper tape from Amazon. I should be set for years.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

All depends on the clerk as I've shipped registered without any brown tape

The brown tape is just to keep postal employees honest.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

@konsole said:
    The paper tape I use is reinforced with the strands of fiber rubbing through it, but the strength of the tape is not my primary concern like I have said a few times now. My primary concern is that the WA paper tape does not stick well at all to clear packaging tape. If I have a very heavy package thats going Registered Mail I want to make sure that thing is really well wrapped up tight, I want zero chance of the contents coming out even if the box is dropped or even if someone puts moderate effort into trying to get inside.

The only 2 options I see for heavy Registered Mail packages are...

1 - Dont use any clear packaging tape and just wrap the package all over several times with the WA paper tape.
    2 - Use clear packaging tape and then I can finish off the job by just covering the seams with pressure sensitive paper tape, since pressure sensitive paper tape will probably stick well to the clear packaging tape.

I can deal with using option 1, but I'm just pointing out how it seems crazy that this WA paper tape (which is only required to cover the seams of the box) is not compatible with the tape that is most commonly used as the method to secure the entire box closed. So I should be able to tape the box closed with the clear packaging tape and reinforce the box with as much of the clear packaging tape I want, and then cover just the seams with the WA paper tape, except that this doesnt work because the paper tape wont stick hardly at all to the clear packaging tape.

So either deal with option 1 and cringe at the thought of having to deal with all that measuring and cutting and the messiness of applying the water to the tape, or try to get a pressure sensitive tape that the USPS will accept for Registered Mail packages. Wrapping the package in plenty of clear packaging tape and then easily applying the pressure sensitive paper tape to the seams sounds much more desirable then dealing with option 1.

If the PO accepts what you do then it's all good. For registered IMO brown reinforced tape is sufficient.

theknowitalltroll;
    edited February 1, 2019 9:32PM

@Kudbegud said:
    The odd thing? Brown paper tape, plain or reinforced water activated or self sticking - - - NONE are available at the Post Office ! Other shipping supplies are on sale in the lobby. They require paper tape on all seams but you can't buy it there.

I got some reinforced water activated paper tape from Amazon. I should be set for years.

I'm still workin from a roll I bought 3 centuries ago.

PCGS should consider selling it in their supplies section. Either full rolls or by 20 foot lengths.

theknowitalltroll;
    edited February 1, 2019 10:25PM

@konsole said:
    The primary issue that I was trying to address is the fact that the water-activated brown paper tape (gummed tape) does not stick well to clear packaging tape at all. If your package is light and you plan on using only the WA brown paper tape to hold your package closed then your fine because the WA paper tape does hold ok to the cardboard of the box. I don't feel confident in using only WA paper tape to hold a 50 pound box closed, the adhesive doesnt stick nearly as well the adhesive of a pressure sensitive clear packaging tape.

You can wrap 1" clear fiber reinforced tap around the package and then cover with the 2.8" wide glue-backed paper tape centered over the 1" tape. Or skip the clear tape and just apply two overlapped layers of the paper tape. Once dry, the tape sticks very well. The key is to apply it with pressure.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

That's the stuff ! Any equivalent brand, reinforced, water activated glue, will do the job and last "centuries".

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

While you're at Staples, buy some new boxes also.
    It just makes life so much easier for so little money.

@ReadyFireAim said:
    While you're at Staples, buy some new boxes also.
    It just makes life so much easier for so little money.

Boxes for what?

theknowitalltroll;
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

My eyes! Seizure alert! :)B)

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2019 7:40AM

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Boxes for what?

This is a box...You put stuff in it.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

I consider a good tape job with water-activated reinforced paper tape to be a work of art. :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know registered is supposed to be the safest ... but I still think overnight express with insurance is a smarter bet overall.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper tape as required by insurance rules is a must.
    If you use any other unapproved tape and you have a insurance claim, they will find it easy to deem that you have not complied with shipping regulations for Insured registered mail. .... even if the tape you used is better than the required tape. The tape is not for holding your mail piece together. It is,to easy identify any tampering.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
    edited February 4, 2019 10:58AM

@ReadyFireAim said:

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Boxes for what?

This is a box...You put stuff in it.

Cept this thread is about registered mail and there is NOTHING at Staples that I would use for mail, registered or otherwise. Like many others I get plenty of boxes from other means so no need to buy. But thanks for the info.

theknowitalltroll;

@YQQ said:
    Paper tape as required by insurance rules is a must.
    If you use any other unapproved tape and you have a insurance claim, they will find it easy to deem that you have not complied with shipping regulations for Insured registered mail. .... even if the tape you used is better than the required tape. The tape is not for holding your mail piece together. It is,to easy identify any tampering.

IIRC they don't specify a particular type of tape since even the window clerks don't always use the fiber reinforced tape. If your package doesn't comply then they aren't supposed to accept it, so IMO refusing a claim on those grounds doesn't wash.

theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file