Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Selling higher valued items on ebay

I've never sold any cards valued about $800 or so.

I've got a couple cards coming back from PSA that should fetch $5000 or so. I'm a bit hesitant to sell them myself and risk some type of scam. Is there anything I should do to minimize the risk? Or should I just send them to PWCC and let him assume the risk?

Comments

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

What miwlvrn said.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Not only do you transfer the risk, but if you have never sold anything above $800 and now have a couple in the $5000 range, your items may be viewed with some skepticism. Most likely your items would sell for a higher price by PWCC. Plus, at that type of anticipated sales price, your commission to PWCC (8-9%) would probably be less than what you are paying to Ebay.

Slam dunk choice

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2019 7:27PM

PWCC all the way. You actually pocket more money.

Ebay 10%, Paypal 3%, and shipping do add up and is more than PWCC as stated by lightningboy.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the above.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Ditto for PWCC. What are the cards? Sounds like some nice grades.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

@ldferg said:
    Ditto for PWCC. What are the cards? Sounds like some nice grades.

54 Aaron and Banks are the top two, both PSA 7

Thanks guys!

• Options

Here are some photos from before I sent them in. I was hoping for an 8 on the Banks. And thought it was possible, but a real long shot on the Aaron.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Nwl1Hn5

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Especially the Aaron and Kaline.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Wow. That is a nice Aaron PSA 7. Congrats.

PWCC sold one on Dec 5 for $5700.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

PWCC for sure. I have sold a few for over $1000 and fretted the whole time. Once they make it to PWCC all you have to think about is getting the check in the mail!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

PWCC has certainly has some advantages. Their HE and PQ designations attract even greater premiums. Both the Aaron and Banks rookies will attract a considerable amount of interest.

Another way of selling that I have found very attractive has been selling through Rick Probstein using the Buy-it-Now option. His premiums are the lowest on eBay, and you set the Buy-it-Now option, ringing out the risk of a soft-auction. Patience pays off as almost all the cards I've listed through him sell eventually. On some of the cards I sell through him I've had to lower the price somewhat, but generally, I've had really good results, and zero disappointments.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Would never use Probstein for a cards like these.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06