Home U.S. Coin Forum

Non-Morgan PL's

ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find these very interesting, the only ones I have happen to be moderns. What say you? Have any to share?

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe some of the TPGS's slab coins as this with a PL label.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

A "proof-like" weakly-mirrored surface was/is a normal consequence of die maintenance and surface repair. Thus, it can occur on any denomination. There is no logical reason to avoid designating coins "proof-like" provided they meet the requirements established for Morgan dollars. This sets a minimum reflectivity which can easily be quantified using measured dispersion of a collimated monochromatic light beam of prescribed diameter, angle and distance from coin surface.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 My understanding is that they do ATS, does ICG as well? I've seen Indian cents in anacs PL holders so I assume they also would attach PL to other series. I would consider sending ATS but to be honest I have no idea if it's worth it beyond the novelty of having moderns recognized as PL in a major TPG holder. I don't know what these trade for above a regular non-PL example but I do know they are hard to find.
    I think the half would only grade 63 or 64 PL, there is some scuffage on the cheek not apparent in the photo. The cent has some surface marks in the fields which I think would limit to 65PL, I think the dime would go higher though.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was hoping this would gain a little traction. I'll give it one bump here.
    Who's got any to share?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file