Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Rookies from the last couple years we still seem to be waiting to erupt into their full potential~

MLBdaysMLBdays Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 30, 2019 10:16AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone getting impatient with some of these guys? Byron Buxton, Yoan Moncada, Clint Frazier, Miguel Sano, Dominic Smith....they have had their share of injuries for sure but time is ticking and the HOF doesnt look kindly on weak stats the first few years of a career.... Who else would you guys add to this list of guys you hope to lift it up a few notches ?? Has a Kyle Schwarber, though he has exhibited some success, really reached his potential?

Comments

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Lucas Giolito was a top 10 prospect for several years, and was flat out awful last year in his first full year in the bigs.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buxton can be an amazing defensive player, his hitting is very erratic, he has a lot of power, but he is hurt all the time. Sano has awesome power and is surprisingly agile and good defensively for a huge person, but they both have problems staying healthy.

Sano is criticized because of his weight, but I think there might be more to it than that. Attitude maybe? Twins had him in the minors last year when he was healthy enough to play, maybe they were sending him a message.

Twins are also famous for keeping young talent in minors so it takes longer to get to arbitration. Just one of the penny-pinching things they do that are annoying.

If Sano and Buxton can stay healthy and perform close to their potential, they will be great players, Buxton especially if he can hit.

Both players came up in 2015. Time to start producing!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the last decade, we've seen an unprecedented amount of young players arrive at the major league level and immediately succeed. This was not the way things worked, really, ever. I think a better question is why aren't more of these kids faltering?

Arthur

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    In the last decade, we've seen an unprecedented amount of young players arrive at the major league level and immediately succeed. This was not the way things worked, really, ever.
    Arthur

Al Kaline disagrees :smile:

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    In the last decade, we've seen an unprecedented amount of young players arrive at the major league level and immediately succeed. This was not the way things worked, really, ever. I think a better question is why aren't more of these kids faltering?

Arthur

I agree with Al Kaline. Mookie Betts was MVP last year, but look at his numbers. There really good, but not great. Christian Yelich numbers were really good also. He has a chance to put up HOF if he keeps playing like last year and he does if for the next 10 years, every year.

But overall, Trout is really the only Hitter that has a rookie card in the last 10 years that looks totally legit. A whole lot of hype, but not much success with the the rookie/rookie cards in the last 10 years. But people are paying money for them like they are the next Trout's. To bad for them.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

Kris Bryant, Carlos Correa, Aaron Judge, Cody Bellinger, Mookie Betts, Corey Seager, Francisco Lindor, Ronald Acuna, Juan Soto, Ozzie Albies, all players that succeeded immediately upon call-up.

Arthur

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Good list Arthur. Add Alex Bregman.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

Trout is really the only Hitter that has a rookie card in the last 10 years that looks totally legit.

I would add Buster Posey to that list

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@ReggieCleveland said:
    In the last decade, we've seen an unprecedented amount of young players arrive at the major league level and immediately succeed. This was not the way things worked, really, ever.
    Arthur

Al Kaline disagrees :smile:

Sam Horn, Kevin Maas, Jerome Walton. . .

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2019 5:54PM

Wait, that '86/'87 rookie class was pretty successful out of the gates. Clark, Bonds, Joyner, Bo, Canseco, Sierra, etc.

Andy

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the rookies starting out better in general than the past is due to service time manipulation. Guys like Guerrro and Jimmenez would have been up already wothout that consideration. Now they are getting extra ABs in the minors before coming up.

• Options

Isn't Guerrero like 19?

Arthur

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Very very good article that touches on this.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/hitters-no-longer-peak-only-decline/

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Still believe Bryce Harper could do well. Had a rough last year, but has some great numbers for his age. Obviously Trout and still think Correa is quite affordable with upside.