Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A few Canada Dollars to start out the new year.

As a side project I've been working to put together a toned circulation strike (non-PL) Canada Dollar basic date (1935-1967) Registry set. I'm trying to value color/eye appeal over high grades for this set. 64 seems a nice grade to target for most issues, with a sprinkling in of 65-67 grades for the coins in the set that come nice (35, 36, 49, 50, 53, 58, etc.). The price spread is usually pretty strong between MS64 and MS65 when it comes to most of the George VI and Elizabeth II issues.

1955, PCGS MS64 - the rose toning on the central obverse is not as apparent in hand. Very lustrous coin underneath the interesting 'original skin'.

1958, PCGS MS65 - the British Columbia 'Death Dollar' issue. Wild toning (especially on the reverse) with a really nice strike. Attractive in hand.

1959, ICCS MS64 - low population coin at PCGS, only 83 circulation strikes (non-PL) coins have been graded, 2nd fewest for Elizabeth II (1961 has 80). I like the look of this coin and based on the color/toning, minimal marks and strong luster like it to grade 64 at PCGS.

Any recent experiences from the Forum members on ICCS to PCGS crosses? In the current grading environment would those of you with experience attempt a cross at grade in the current ICCS holder or would you submit raw?

On the lookout for colorful/eye appealing PCGS MS64/MS65 coins of 1954, 1957, 1962 and 1966 (Elizabeth II issues). These are tougher to find than would be expected.

Take care,

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not submit graded items for a x - grade with another TPG, especially ICCS or CCCS.
    I strongly believe that a TPG will automatically , even only subconsciously, have some bias. Bias can manifest itself in many ways.
    Personally I have cut out old PCGS , NGC and other (reputable) holders and sent the coins to ICCS and CCCS. Usually the coins experienced a substantial upgrade.... but that was some years ago. It might be different now.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Well, if you are in it for a Registry set, then you don't need or want ICCS or CCCS. PCGS has been doing lots of Canadian the last few years, just due to the Registry sets.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. As to your crossover question, I tend to crack out anything not NGC/ANACS before submitting, and only crack out NGC/ANACS under specific circumstances (minimal price difference between grades for fairly common coins, for example).

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ Thank you for the input. I've only heard rumors about the possibility of this 'holder bias'. I personally can't vouch for whether it is real or imagined.

@syl For the most part I agree. Some dates like the 1959 I've found don't come around very often in PCGS holders. Patience isn't always my best attribute, so when I spotted a coin that kind of intrigued me in one of the Canadian grading companies' flip the little gambler in me decided to take a chance (just one time). :)

@mvs7 Michael, always great advice...thank you.

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

PCGS and ICCS/CCCS grading of Canadian silver dollars in MS grades is very comparable. I'd just leave them in whichever company's plastic they're already in.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice, I need to ramp up my game on my Canadian Dollar Collection
    Congrats on the Pick Ups

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pokerman, that did not apply about 5-7 years back.
    today it seems to be just about right. especially since CCCS recognizes errors or varieties without having a Charlton reference.
    I recently received a bunch back from ICCS. 8 were cut outs (sent raw)from CCCS when they started.
    one came back 3 grades up and all others 2 grades up. But apparently they are now about equal.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life