Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Buying ungraded vintage

Does it kind of burn you when are trying to negotiate with a dealer (or ebay seller) over vintage cards and they want PSA 7 or 8 prices for an ungraded card? If they want to sell the card for PSA 7 or PSA 8 prices then grade it, otherwise be prepared to eat the card. This kind of pricing makes me laugh at the sellers. They are basically telling you that the card probably want grade an 8, but I'm hoping your dumb enough to buy it anyway.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

Nope, I just drop a "LATA" on em

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

That would make them think twice!
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=6n4rTDJK9AI

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 12:58PM

@olb31 said:
    Does it kind of burn you when are trying to negotiate with a dealer (or ebay seller) over vintage cards and they want PSA 7 or 8 prices for an ungraded card? If they want to sell the card for PSA 7 or PSA 8 prices then grade it, otherwise be prepared to eat the card. This kind of pricing makes me laugh at the sellers. They are basically telling you that the card probably want grade an 8, but I'm hoping your dumb enough to buy it anyway.

Many NM-MT items in Greg Morris auctions (to name one) sell for PSA 8 prices or better believe it or not. I've found in some cases it's cheaper to buy a graded item and crack it out for my ungraded sets. This is particularly true for poorly titled / less popular players in SGC 88 holders. I've had good luck getting these for less than Greg Morris's items in particular.

Now Dean's, etc. - that's a whole other ballgame. ;)

Steve

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am in 100% agreement. But I also hate the opposite. Quick story.... I set up a small local card show once a month. A "kid" (he's about 20-22) and his dad have been coming the last few months trying to buy Mantle cards. I get people trying to get some deals but they are SUPER annoying. Low balling on every card. I actually stopped taking Mantle cards because of them. But, felt like a wanted to have some fun this weekend and brought assuming they would be there. Sure enough, walks up and asks what I want on every Mantle card except an OC card. He honed in on a 56 Topps PSA 3 that is centered and nice for the grade. I priced at $500. I had researched every card the night before to see what they are listed for and what they have sold for. One sold over $500 but typically trending $430 and up....most not well centered. Comes back over with his dad and the dad asks the price and how much I would take for it. I tell him $500 firm. Kid looks at his dad and says "We can get them on Ebay for $300". Really set me off...and admittedly I might have had a couple cocktails. I said firmly "NO....you can't". He starts trying to look on his phone and I explain that for well over 6 months this card has been selling for $400+ and there are none currently listed for under $500 so don't try and feed me that. Stood there a while searching and while I was dealing with other customers and finally pulls up some off brand TPG at $300 something and then a raw card he said would grade 2.5 or 3. The card, if even legit wasn't going to get anything over a 1.5. Regardless, dude is going to try to tell me I should sell him a graded card at the ungraded price.
    But, I will say, a lot of ungraded stuff is being purchased at graded card prices lately so I don't think we will see the trend change anytime soon.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rttrffg2012 said:
    Ugggghh... yuck! Some people are so obsessive with cards they just suck out all the fun.
    Noffense to anyone personally but when try to sell high end Jeters I always get oddball questions, brutal low ballers (followed by expkajnnations of their awful Offers), and nasty comments after I shoot them down.

Or the "I pay quick" and even the "God loves you"

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

"This is particularly true for poorly titled / less popular players in SGC 88 holders. I've had good luck getting these for less than Greg Morris's items in particular."

Now you went and let the cat out of the bag. LOL. I've been using the same strategy with good success.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

I tend to believe that most high grade vintage cards that are in the hands of those who know this hobby have been encapsulated by TPG. A knowledgeable dealer knows that a true NM-Mint or MINT vintage card is worth more graded than not so why would they sell it ungraded if it was indeed of that quality. There was a time, maybe 10-12 years ago, that I could attend the National and purchase plenty of raw NM/MT to MINT cards from the early 1970s. 60s and even the 50s. Then bring them home, send them in to PSA for grading, and easily cover the cost of my National Convention adventure by selling them on eBay and still keep the best for my collection. Not any more.

Not to say high grade cards are not still out there for the finding but you need a keen eye and a little luck. There are also plenty of old ungraded collections not yet released to the collecting community. I bought one 3-4 years ago from an acquaintance who had retired and was moving to Florida. But when it comes to dealers, I would have to be pretty confident that an ungraded card was at the grade they advertised before I would even consider buying it. Probably like many of you, I have had a good number of vintage cards come back from PSA as EOT, Miscut, Min. Size Req., or altered. Hence I have become much more cautious over the years.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I have some really nice vintage cards that I am struggling with sending them in to PSA or just sell them raw. I agree nice raw cards in many cases are selling for as much as graded and above and it's been that way for a while. If I send them in now chances are I will not see them until mid-summer. With the added cost and wait time, plus the possibility of getting the grader of death i just can't see that it is worth it. I guess I just answered my own question, LOL. I think more vintage collectors are/will be turning to ungraded sets vs. PSA graded sets. Trying to put together PSA sets via submitting to PSA is now almost impossible.