Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need some help identifying this??

My nephew sent me this picture and I looked around a little bit and came up with nothing. So I am deferring to the brain trust of this forum for help.

Any ideas?
Thanks
DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 8:48AM

Philippines 'x' centavos
    1944-S
    :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a Philippines coin (note the S mintmark, these were struck in San Francisco). Probably a one centavo. They struck 58 million of them.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a US/Philippines Commonwealth coin. They were struck by the US Mint in several denominations and were issued for use following the US landings in the Philippines in 1944. They are very common as many US soldiers and sailors who used them brought them back as souvenirs after the war. A US/Philippine Peso (that coin is not a peso) was worth 50 cents US.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston A 10 centavos would be silver but I see they also made 1944-S 5 centavos in copper ...

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options

@giorgio11 said:
    @1630Boston A 10 centavos would be silver but I see they also made 1944-S 5 centavos in copper ...

Kind regards,

George

I caught that and edited to say 'x' centavos,
    Thanks @giorgio11

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 9:03AM

Philippines. Very common as a World War II issue. Similar coins were struck from 1903-1945. The Philippines were a United States' possession from 1899 to 1935 and were in a 'Commonwealth' status until 1945. After that, the Philippines became an independent nation.

There were 58 million bronze One Centavo coins struck at San Francisco in 1944. You should be able to find an "S" mintmark to the left of the date.

There is a whole section on Philippines coinage under the United States of America in the most recent edition of the Mega Red Book from page 1296 to 1325.

• Options
    DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Since it said "United States of America" I wasn't thinking foreign.

Thanks for the insight.

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options

@DiggerJim
    I'm just curious, does it say 'Philippines' on the other side of the coin? :smile:
    Boston

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good example of why it is important to show both sides. The other side, if I recall, clearly states the Philippines.

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Looks to be copper or brass. One centavo.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options

Actually, the other side says 'Filipinas', not 'Philippines'. That will throw off many folks.

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

This should be the obverse.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options

@1630Boston said:
    @DiggerJim
    I'm just curious, does it say 'Philippines' on the other side of the coin? :smile:
    Boston

He just sent me a picture of the obverse

DiggerJim

• Options

@DiggerJim said:

@1630Boston said:
    @DiggerJim
    Boston

He just sent me a picture of the obverse

DiggerJim

Sorry meant reverse

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 10:28AM

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Actually, the other side says 'Filipinas', not 'Philippines'. That will throw off many folks.

It's all the same to me, but I can see some people being confused....

• Options

@JBK. Excuse me, I gotta go answer the fone!

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, Phillipines. I found one looking through my grandfather's WWII stuff. Beautiful design!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Dad brought a few back from the Philippines.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file