Home Sports Talk

Michigan and Trumbull.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 29, 2019 1:01AM in Sports Talk

Location of Tiger Stadium.

Cobb, Kaline, Gehringer and Horton called the corner home. So did Billy Martin and Sparky Anderson for a spell. as well, Eddie Mathews. The list of visiting stars would take an encyclopedia.

Ernie made sure that we knew that.

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 2:11PM

It was a special place. My childhood was wrapped around that area. Straight bus ride down Michigan Ave and boom. Hallow ground. I lost my virginity in the parking lot

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Houses in the area were old and poorly maintained, yet I sort of envied those that could see the lights and hear the noise each game.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    It was a special place. My childhood was wrapped around that area. Straight bus ride down Michigan Ave and boom. Hallow ground. I lost my virginity in the parking lot

m

TMI :o

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember going to many games there. We always parked in a church parking lot across the street. One night, the game was running long and the Tigers were getting blown out. Dad's gotta get up early the next day and we've got a 45-minute drive home, so we leave. Get out to the parking lot and somebody triple-parked us in. Can't leave. So we're sitting there, waiting. And...suddenly the ballpark starts roaring. Turn on the radio and the Tigers decided to come back from a big deficit and ended up winning.

Another night, we had seats...somewhere...I don't remember where. I was probably 5 or 6. I went behind home plate and sat in the aisle on the stairs. Nobody cared that I was there and nobody hassled me. People were really nice, in fact. It was then that I learned the field isn't flat - it's domed a little bit, or was back then anyway - and that the front row's seats were actually partially below field level.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Houses in the area were old and poorly maintained, yet I sort of envied those that could see the lights and hear the noise each game.

There is a GREAT BBQ joint called Slow’s that is steps away from old Tiger Stadium. I go every time I visit the fam. It’s been featured on most of those traveling food shows

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

In the way earliest 1970's my widowed father introduced us kids to his new girlfriend that would become his wife a few years later. She had an in with the Tigers. Security had us park alongside the stadium and the seats were literally right behind the visitor dugout. Got to kibbitz with Billy Martin as he was picking up BP balls. Went to a couple games with her and her son.

Things went way down hill from there, but still might have been worth it for the seats. ;)

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

delectable grub and people getting their rocks off around Tiger stadium

meanwhile my #1 memory at the Astrodome was being vomited on by the drunk guy sitting behind me

@galaxy27 said:
    delectable grub and people getting their rocks off around Tiger stadium

Legend has it that Commemman could get to third base quicker than Don Wert.