Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Nolan Ryan 1968 Topps RC w/Mold?

This was in a lot that I picked up recently. Is that mold or ink? If it is mold, will it spread? I don't deal with much vintage and can't say that I've ever owned a card with mold on it... What kind of grade would you guess PSA would give it? I appreciate your time!

Thanks
Craig

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

The dreaded MD qualifier awaits.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

I'd say that because the pattern is spread around concentrations of black ink, something (either liquid or gas) caused the ink to denature and diffuse throughout the surround paper. To be safe, you could put the card in a sealed container with an ozonator for a few hours, and, if it's mold, it should be neutralized.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2019 9:05AM

I don't think it's mold. As BunchOBull stated, its all centered around the black ink. Also, look how the right side of the mark is perfectly straight, as if a piece of tape was there. My guess is it was caused by something up against the back of the card for years that might've caused the ink to spread or transferred from something else into the card.

Either way, it will probably grade a PSA 2 MK. You see a lot of older T206's with discolored or dirty marks over the card with similar grades.

• Options
    Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

I appreciate the info everyone!

Thanks
    Craig