Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2 powerful basketball players in their time.

I remember being a kid back in 69 when Topps came out with these big basketball cards.
They were tough cause you couldn't really flip em, and they were tough to play colors with, and they just didn't last
as long as baseball cards when you put them in your spokes.... so I ended up just putting them in a box which I luckily forgot about and found many years later.
If any of you were basketball fans back then do you remember how great it was watching this young kid play compared to the old time great Wilt the Stilt ?
Good times for sure.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

I had some of those and more from the 1970 set. Mine ended up in rough condition, was really young at that time. Have since bought some graded stars and love them. Still need the 1969 Chamberlain though, it has taken off in price. The Alcindor Rookie and some others are undervalued in my opinion. The popularity of the NBA is gaining worldwide, think that bodes well for collecting in the future.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2019 9:22AM

The great thing about the 69 set is they did not print cards for years prior to this set. Topps printed a 57-58 set and Fleer a 61-62 set so there was a long stretch till Topps made these in 69 leading to a lot of rookie cards in this set.
    https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/a-brief-history-of-basketball-card-sets/

Being a coin guys I am not up to grading standards for cards, I know new issues like modern coins have to be at or near the top of the scale but how are these older cards graded ?
    For example how would you, or could you, grade these 2 cards from the above pic based on the front image ?

• Options
    Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Without seeing the backs...Wilt a 2 and Lew a 3? Others will be much more accurate I’m sure.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say a 3 at best on both. That upper right corner on Wilt might make it a 2.

• Options

Here is a quick pic of the reverse

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

When these two were playing there were only one or two games on
    each week. You were at the mercy of national broadcasters and
    the local affiliates. Same with BB and FB. Where I grew up ( N.E. Tenn.)
    Hockey was rarely televised. I wish I were 10 years older so I could've
    watched Bill Russel play who in MY book was the Greatest of ALL Time!!

• Options

Watching Bill Russel dominate the boards was something to see.
    Here are a few more memories for you :)

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRocco Thanks for the memories!! I remember buying packs of 1969
    and 1970 at a local five and dime. My favorite year though is 76-77.
    Those large cards are neat.

• Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

Its a GREAT set

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller