Home Sports Talk

Freeze the baseball HOF at the current number of members.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

For each new inductee...a current member must be tossed.

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

We can start with Jack Morris, to get DA on board.

;)

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve noticed a lot of people’s qualifications to be a hall of famer is quite high on these boards. But when you look at it, there are 230 players in the hall of fame. According to baseball reference, there have been 19,103 players in the mlb since 1876. That comes out to a whopping .012% of players becoming hall of famers. I think saying the hall is becoming watered down is a bit over exaggerated. It is still the best of the best, and it’s not like bench players are getting elected. At the end of the day I don’t think Morris or Baines are the best choices, but they were no slouches either. They were still better than 99% of players to ever play in the mlb.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:
    I’ve noticed a lot of people’s qualifications to be a hall of famer is quite high on these boards. But when you look at it, there are 230 players in the hall of fame. According to baseball reference, there have been 19,103 players in the mlb since 1876. That comes out to a whopping .012% of players becoming hall of famers. I think saying the hall is becoming watered down is a bit over exaggerated. It is still the best of the best, and it’s not like bench players are getting elected. At the end of the day I don’t think Morris or Baines are the best choices, but they were no slouches either. They were still better than 99% of players to ever play in the mlb.

I don't disagree with this, but the problem as I see it is that there are literally hundreds of players NOT in the HOF who were better baseball players than Morris, Baines, etc. While Morris may have been better than 98% of the people who tried to pitch in the major leagues, when he or someone like him gets inducted it just adds more people who were better and who aren't in. That cheapens the honor associated with being in the HOF, while simultaneously making it easier for someone even worse to get in, cheapening it even more, and so on. If the death spiral ends with Morris and Baines that will be good; but I fear that with those two as a new standard that Felipe Alou may be next, and eventually Richie Zisk. I don't think the problem gets fixed until people who think Morris, Baines, etc. belong in the HOF don't get to vote anymore, and I don't think there's any way to do that.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ this. I think there should be a standard above just being a baseball writer to be able to vote for the hall of fame. Now I am not sure what exactly this standard should be, but there needs to be one. possibly a combination of writers, sabermetrics guys, former players.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

The MLB HOF has been too watered down for years

@craig44 said:
    ^ this. I think there should be a standard above just being a baseball writer to be able to vote for the hall of fame. Now I am not sure what exactly this standard should be, but there needs to be one. possibly a combination of writers, sabermetrics guys, former players.

NFL refs are pretty good at calling things.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

all we need are 4 or 5 stat weenies from this forum to decide who gets in the hall of fame. Just take one week off a year from playing dungeons and dragons and decide by rolling your dice or whatever

@bronco2078 said:
    all we need are 4 or 5 stat weenies from this forum to decide who gets in the hall of fame. Just take one week off a year from playing dungeons and dragons and decide by rolling your dice or whatever

How does one account for PED usage? Sure we have the fellows like A-Rod that got busted and then the guys like McGwire and Sosa and Bonds that admitted or sort of got busted, but there are a ton of players that took an advantage with banned substances for reasons besides adding bulk.

Did not one of the hundreds of voters suspect Rivera, or maybe everyone is innocent until proven guilty. I am not suggesting that Mariano used banned drugs, but I don't know that he didn't. And the players that the writers figured were clean, do they get a voting edge as they were competing against cheaters?

I don't envy the voters.

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

How does one account for PED usage? Sure we have the fellows like A-Rod that got busted and then the guys like McGwire and Sosa and Bonds that admitted or sort of got busted, but there are a ton of players that took an advantage with banned substances for reasons besides adding bulk.

Did not one of the hundreds of voters suspect Rivera, or maybe everyone is innocent until proven guilty. I am not suggesting that Mariano used banned drugs, but I don't know that he didn't. And the players that the writers figured were clean, do they get a voting edge as they were competing against cheaters?

I don't envy the voters.

We don't account for it . Take your ideological purity tests elsewhere, PED's saved the game for 20 years get down on your knees and pray they continue to keep it interesting.

Like all prayers though it will be time wasted as there is no saving baseball now. No one under the age of 40 watches baseball games and the life expectancy numbers are plummeting in ten years the hall will have to close its doors because they won't be able to pay the electric bill

There is no cognitive way to respond to your post.

I've ended your argument. Baseball is a dead or swiftly dying sport so who enters the hall is just answers to trivia questions.

The truth is that the hall of fame has always been an old boys club. There was never any justification for players to be elected by members of the BBWA . Fat sloppy old mustard stained couch potatoes know what about actually playing sports? Nothing! Oh no no no we can't have ex players decide on who was a great player lets get some guy that works at a newspaper to pick. Sports writers :D:D:D what crack head thought that up?

• Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Or the 'stat weenies', who can outplay the guys who call them 'stat weenies', should vote ;)

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just think guys, if there were no steroids, baseball would be GONE! These message boards would be blank! PSA would not be the KING of grading companies. "Cats and dogs sleeping together"!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The HOF is not "watered down" but there are a lot of players better than Baines (as an example) who should be in Oliva, Dick Allen and Walker to name three, should certainly be in before Harold.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@bronco2078 said:
    I've ended your argument. Baseball is a dead or swiftly dying sport so who enters the hall is just answers to trivia questions.

The truth is that the hall of fame has always been an old boys club. There was never any justification for players to be elected by members of the BBWA . Fat sloppy old mustard stained couch potatoes know what about actually playing sports? Nothing! Oh no no no we can't have ex players decide on who was a great player lets get some guy that works at a newspaper to pick. Sports writers :D:D:D what crack head thought that up?

Now I have something to respond to. ;)

Don't know who is attending games now and if they didn't have a galaxy to play with for three and a half hours they would likely be doing something else.

MLB has been off my radar for much longer than the NFL. Did come back the last couple years and followed a few WS games on the computer while doing other stuff. To watch an hour of commercials and three of slow baseball is dreary.

Meanwhile though, the money is there for $300,000,000 contacts so the eulogy that you profess is premature.

Don't care if Eddie Gadell gets into the HOF (probably already is) but it certainly is important to many here.

@Coinstartled said:

this has never stopped you before

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

Beefing up players with drugs saved the game of baseball?

I suppose Lance Armstrong saved cycling as well.

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

Beefing up players with drugs saved the game of baseball?

I suppose Lance Armstrong saved cycling as well.

cycling is how you get to work if you lose your drivers license. In that sense it needs no savior