Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Extremely rare Henry Clay medal by Merriam SILVER NGC MS63 (also listed on eBay)

Henry Clay, The Eloquent Defender of National Rights. 31mm EXTREMELY RARE off metal strike on a SILVER planchet. NGC MS 63, Unlisted. $800

During the American Civil War, Joseph H. Merriam was the foremost medalist in Boston, and he produced a series of tokens and medals depicting political leaders, generals, and celebrities of the day. Today, all of these pieces are scarce and some are known by only a single example. The Clay medals are considered very scarce in any composition, but finding one in silver is a special opportunity. Silver was not a metal in which Merriam frequently worked, and when a medal in silver is encountered, it is usually a unique striking. I know of only one other Joseph Merriam Henry Clay medal in silver. It resides in my personal collection, and I had to pay quite a bit more.
Opportunity knocks loudly. This is a great rarity destined for an advanced collection.
In the coming weeks, I will be listing duplicates from my huge collection of Merriam tokens and medals. Many have come from the huge collection of noted numismatists, Q. David Bowers, FCC Boyd, and John J Ford, Jr. If you are looking for anything in particular, shoot me a message and if it's in my inventory I will list it. Some pieces have been off the market for many years.

This is also listed on eBay, but I can do better here.

Thanks for looking!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments