Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Classic Commemorative Coin Set Registry

Each of the 144 coins in the Classic Commemorative set has a different weight. However, in the 50 coin set the weights drop down to the lowest possible weight within a subset such as the Boones. I completed the 50 coin set a while ago. Now I am trying to upgrade coins within the 50 coin set to have the highest weighted coin in each subset. I suggest, to add a little more life to the Classic Commemorative Set Registry, that the 50 coin set composition weighting be expanded to include all 144 coins while retaining the 50 coin set concept. That way, if all other coins are the same in a set, a set with a Grant Star would be higher ranked than a set containing the Grant without the Star.

Comments

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

I think that is a great for the 50 piece type set and would work for all type sets. I have a number of other type sets where I have a much rarer coin for the type but it gets no more weight than the common coin. For example I have an 1854-D three dollar gold in a U. S Type for my three dollar type. The 54-D is an exceedingly rare coin by gets no more weight that a common 54-P date. I brought this up to BJ over 10 years ago but it received a deaf ear.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is understandable that PCGS decided not to utilize all 144 weights in the 50 coin commemorative type set to encourage and not overwhelm collectors starting a set on the Set Registry. The cost difference between an Arkansas type coin and a 1939 Arkansas is substantial. Once a set is well on it's way to be completed or has been completed, participants who might hesitate to start accumulating a large number of low value coins in order to complete a full 144 date and mintmark set might be encouraged to graduate to an Advanced type set.

Going a step further, PCGS could consider offering Advanced Date Sets which would include all date and mintmark weightings for those collectors not financially ready to pursue a full date and mintmark set.