Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

When Does PSA Use an Inner Sleeve?

I purchased 3 cards from the same set, consecutive serial numbers and the first card does not have a sleeve, but the next 2 do. I personally don't like the inner sleeve when scanning. Card looks better in hand.

Is it simply based on the card size and available holders? Odd that these would have been slabbed differently..

Comments

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

The "card condom" has been used for years. Usually used for cards that are cut slightly large.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DavidPuddy said:
    The "card condom" has been used for years. Usually used for cards that are cut slightly large.

Gotcha. Guess I like my cards with one layer of protection....

• Options
    BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

....Whenever they feel like it.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

On some sets they use them all of the time. Others it depends on the sealer is what I am told.

A few years back I sent in two orders from the same set and one came back with them and the other didn't.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    I don't mind the sleeve in PSA holders.....In BGS holders its more of a visual distraction I find.

I agree. It would just be nice to have them all as one type though from PSA.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would the sleeve be used for cards that are larger? I would think they would help on cards that are a bit smaller.

Arthur

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Why would the sleeve be used for cards that are larger? I would think they would help on cards that are a bit smaller.

Arthur

Most times they step up to a larger slab opening which makes the card a bit smaller just like above

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

@BriYo79 said:
    ....Whenever they feel like it.

pretty much this. I had one card randomly return in one, it was more of a higher end one so I didn't care. my guess is you can probably request it for certain cards in the notes section, however I did this once and it was ignored. card on the right was bagged, card on the left wasn't. and they are nowhere near as ugly as the BGS sleeves and the card definitely won't move which is good to prevent sliding around.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@initialD said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Most times they step up to a larger slab opening which makes the card a bit smaller just like above

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks

Arthur

• Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

It all depends on the card size related to the year/series and the holder typically used for that card. For example the 1950 Bowman baseball set has a bigger range of size that is acceptable as the cuts were certainly not as precise as today. Those cut a little smaller but still within the acceptable range are often holdered using a sleeve. This is to prevent it from shifting around like they would in a normal size holder opening. The 1955 Bowman baseball is another set with an acceptable size variance and you often see these in holders with sleeves.

Sometimes in more modern sets a card might be slightly larger than usual and the person slapping the card might feel the normal holder would be too tight when encasing the card, putting pressure on the edges. They might than go to a larger opening holder and use the sleeve.

I don't particular like them but understand their purpose. I have had a few older (1950s) cards that I didn't feel were cut that much smaller that they needed the sleeve. I sent them in with a re-holder order, requesting they be put in normal size holders with no sleeves and my request was honored.

As mentioned earlier, is up to the person encapsulating the cards in PSA holders who determines the need for a sleeve or not.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe there was time when you could request the inner sleeve, regardless of card size. Don't know if that's still in play or not.

• Options
    PopeyesSpinachPopeyesSpinach Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2019 2:00PM

It's actually a sheet of plastic placed behind the card, not a sleeve. I've seen them also placed in front of the card rather than behind which takes away from the slab's aesthetics. The reason BGS slabs are more visually distracting is because they use a sleeve.