Home Sports Talk
Options

Rank the Top 5 Dallas Cowboy and Green Bay Packer QB's of all time

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 8:19PM

@DIMEMAN said:

I don't even remember Moss being a choker. He pretty much caught any ball he could reach.

Except when he was asked to run a crossing pattern. Mr. "alligator arms" all the way. The man was NOT a competitor.

All I remember seeing was Tony throwing TD passes too.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I don't even remember Moss being a choker. He pretty much caught any ball he could reach.

Except when he was asked to run a crossing pattern. Mr. "alligator arms" all the way. The man was NOT a competitor.

He blew key games that you as a non fan didn't see or notice/care.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

He won a lot more games than he blew, though. You just forgot about all those late gamewinning drives.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

He won a lot more games than he blew, though. You just forgot about all those late gamewinning drives.

Of course he won a lot more that what he blew. He was just not a winner. That is why I placed him below White at 4.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 10:11PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Of course he won a lot more that what he blew. He was just not a winner. That is why I placed him below White at 4.

@DIMEMAN said:
    Dallas:

Staubach
    Aikman
    White
    Merideth
    Prescott

G.B.:

Farve
    Starr
    Rodgers

Actually you didnt even have Romo in your top 5. Please feel free to go back and edit your post :p

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Dallas:

Staubach
    Aikman
    White
    Merideth
    Prescott

G.B.:

Farve
    Starr
    Rodgers

Actually you didnt even have Romo in your top 5. Please feel free to go back and edit your post :p

m

That's because I actually like all 5 of those better than Romo.......so no change.

• Options
    edited January 30, 2019 10:22PM

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    Career 4th quarter comebacks since 1960.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

He had 24 and Aikman had 15....which proves one thing. Romo got us behind more than Troy....that's what it means.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:
    Career 4th quarter comebacks since 1960.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

He had 24 and Aikman had 15....which proves one thing. Romo got us behind more than Troy....that's what it means.

No, that means that Aikman played with a much better team and didn't have to do as much to win games.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2019 5:26AM

@JoeBanzai said:
    Moss had the perfect "tool set" all that was missing was guts.

During his career he played with some of the best (and a few bad) QB's of all-time. He should have rewritten all the records for receiving. First Bret Favre then even Tom Brady couldn't win with him.

After Cris Carter left the Vikings Randy became a HUGE pain in the neck. I also noticed he stopped giving a very good effort on the field.

Moss is a HUGE disappointment. Just as Romo is to you. I saw it time after time, refused to go over the middle, instead only running his "fly" patterns and then he even quit before a game was over because he was "tired".

Did Romo, or any other player you can think of ever do that?

I wouldn’t say “Guts” was his problem, it was his attitude and poor work ethic. Same thing with T.O, both those guys with all the extra crap they brought to the table still finished with awesome career stats, to the tune of being #3 & #4 in career receiving yards! I read T.O got ZERO endorsements throughout his career because of his attitude, not sure how many if any Moss got

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Moss was the same at a different position.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

During his career he played with some of the best (and a few bad) QB's of all-time. He should have rewritten all the records for receiving. First Bret Favre then even Tom Brady couldn't win with him.

After Cris Carter left the Vikings Randy became a HUGE pain in the neck. I also noticed he stopped giving a very good effort on the field.

Moss is a HUGE disappointment. Just as Romo is to you. I saw it time after time, refused to go over the middle, instead only running his "fly" patterns and then he even quit before a game was over because he was "tired".

I wouldn’t say “Guts” was his problem, it was his attitude and poor work ethic. Same thing with T.O, both those guys with all the extra crap they brought to the table still finished with awesome career stats, to the tune of being #3 & #4 in career receiving yards! I read T.O got ZERO endorsements throughout his career because of his attitude, not sure how many if any Moss got

If you don't like the word "guts" that's fine. Toughness works or determination. The truly great players are the ones who made plays at the end of close games, even when the defense knew they were going to get the ball. Moss was not (after about year 3) one of those guys.

I watched every single game he played with the Vikings and while I freely admit he was the most impressive athlete I ever saw at wide receiver, something happened, and you could just see that he wasn't a leader.

Any Raider fans have an opinion?

T.O. was a goofball, but I still remember him being a factor in big games, one he played in I think he had a broken bone and still had a big game.

Randy has a LOT of great numbers, but he simply disappeared in big game situations, or if he got hit hard a couple of times or if the defense concentrated too much on him or if he was "tired".

Moss had plenty of off field issues as well, but I am limiting my evaluation to him on the field not off. If you bring in his off field troubles he looks even worse.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

If you don't like the word "guts" that's fine. Toughness works or determination. The truly great players are the ones who made plays at the end of close games, even when the defense knew they were going to get the ball. Moss was not (after about year 3) one of those guys.

I watched every single game he played with the Vikings and while I freely admit he was the most impressive athlete I ever saw at wide receiver, something happened, and you could just see that he wasn't a leader.

Any Raider fans have an opinion?

T.O. was a goofball, but I still remember him being a factor in big games, one he played in I think he had a broken bone and still had a big game.

Randy has a LOT of great numbers, but he simply disappeared in big game situations, or if he got hit hard a couple of times or if the defense concentrated too much on him or if he was "tired".

Moss had plenty of off field issues as well, but I am limiting my evaluation to him on the field not off. If you bring in his off field troubles he looks even worse.

Ok now that I’m understanding your point I guess I can’t argue it, I did watch him with NE obviously and I always thought he played hard for the Pats, if you watched him that much more with the Vikings then point taken. I know for a fact he absolutely gave up and did not try at all when he was with the Raiders, I remember watching him get balls thrown at his feet quite a bit and saw him not even try.

• Options

@perkdog said:

Ok now that I’m understanding your point I guess I can’t argue it, I did watch him with NE obviously and I always thought he played hard for the Pats, if you watched him that much more with the Vikings then point taken. I know for a fact he absolutely gave up and did not try at all when he was with the Raiders, I remember watching him get balls thrown at his feet quite a bit and saw him not even try.

I am biased against this type of player.

My best friend growing up was an unbelievable athlete. Not real tall, but the quickest, fastest, strongest, most co-ordinated person I have ever seen. Made the Presidents Physical Fitness Award with ease. Me, not a chance.

We played High School football and he had the ability to get a major college full ride if he would have had my intensity. Once saw him get mad at an offensive tackle who was blocking him (my buddy played DE) and he tossed the guy 5 feet through the air like he was nothing.

I asked him why he didn't play like that all the time. He said he played hard when he was in pee wee's but now he just went out there to have fun. He even admitted to me he could have made a couple of tackles in games we lost that could have made the difference in winning and losing because, "we had a good team, the play went around the other end, it was somebody else's job" to tackle him.

I always gave 100% effort and was good, NOT great, at any sport I played. Never heard one complaint from a coach about hustle though.

I admire guys like Bill Brown who played for the Vikings. Didn't matter if he was carrying the ball, running a pass route or blocking, he gave his complete effort on every play. He even played special teams at the end of his career, when he couldn't start as a RB, and was damn good at it.

You can have the "hot dog" front runners, they usually aren't champions and have no one but themselves to blame.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

I am biased against this type of player.

My best friend growing up was an unbelievable athlete. Not real tall, but the quickest, fastest, strongest, most co-ordinated person I have ever seen. Made the Presidents Physical Fitness Award with ease. Me, not a chance.

We played High School football and he had the ability to get a major college full ride if he would have had my intensity. Once saw him get mad at an offensive tackle who was blocking him (my buddy played DE) and he tossed the guy 5 feet through the air like he was nothing.

I asked him why he didn't play like that all the time. He said he played hard when he was in pee wee's but now he just went out there to have fun. He even admitted to me he could have made a couple of tackles in games we lost that could have made the difference in winning and losing because, "we had a good team, the play went around the other end, it was somebody else's job" to tackle him.

I always gave 100% effort and was good, NOT great, at any sport I played. Never heard one complaint from a coach about hustle though.

I admire guys like Bill Brown who played for the Vikings. Didn't matter if he was carrying the ball, running a pass route or blocking, he gave his complete effort on every play. He even played special teams at the end of his career, when he couldn't start as a RB, and was damn good at it.

You can have the "hot dog" front runners, they usually aren't champions and have no one but themselves to blame.

high school football is not a paying gig so he was not being rewarded to give extra. Guys that loaf in the big leagues who are being paid is harder to figure. NBA is full of those , so and so makes more than me wahhhh .

In football its rare because they have a bad union most of them can get cut loose at any time.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

high school football is not a paying gig so he was not being rewarded to give extra. Guys that loaf in the big leagues who are being paid is harder to figure. NBA is full of those , so and so makes more than me wahhhh .

In football its rare because they have a bad union most of them can get cut loose at any time.

A free college education is worth a lot, he didn't have the money to go to anything but a community college.

• Options

A lot of it comes down to the makeup of the player, to have all the physical tools along with all the mental bases covered is the difference between good and phenomenal

• Options

Sometimes I think the guys with the most physical gifts have less mental toughness. They didn't have to try hard to succeed, so they didn't know how to give that "extra effort".

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Agree with the above few posts.

I was just talking to my son at the marvel Brady is, especially considering his age. I think one thing that has kept him from rapid decline is the fact that he was never a great physical athlete. His successes were not based on speed, the strongest arm or the best at any one particular physical attribute. These physical gifts do deteriorate over time, without exception. But for the select few that reached the pinnacle in other ways, (game smarts, precision, quick thinking etc), those are the ones that can stay relevant for a longer period of time as those qualities are not treated as cruelly by nature.

• Options

You also have to “Want it” especially after you been paid

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Dallas:

Staubach
    Aikman
    White
    Merideth
    Prescott

G.B.:

Farve
    Starr
    Rodgers

m

That's because I actually like all 5 of those better than Romo.......so no change.

So why say you had him at #4 then? Weird

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Dallas:

Staubach
    Aikman
    White
    Merideth
    Prescott

G.B.:

Farve
    Starr
    Rodgers

m

m

Go back and look ..... he is actually not even on my list. He is another Quincy Carter to me.

• Options

Oh my god another Quincy Carter??? Your getting delusional about your memories of Romo 😂

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Oh my god another Quincy Carter??? Your getting delusional about your memories of Romo 😂

And people think I am tough on Moss!

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

And people think I am tough on Moss!

Nobody compares to Dime when it comes to being hard on a player than he is on Romo or the Cowboys for that matter. FACT 😂

• Options
    edited February 1, 2019 11:10AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Dallas:

Staubach
    Aikman
    White
    Merideth
    Prescott

G.B.:

Farve
    Starr
    Rodgers

m

m

Go back and look ..... he is actually not even on my list. He is another Quincy Carter to me.

I know he wasn’t on your list. But then you said you had him at #4 behind White. Get it together

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Dallas:

Staubach
    Aikman
    White
    Merideth
    Prescott

G.B.:

Farve
    Starr
    Rodgers

m

m

I know he wasn’t on your list. But then you said you had him at #4 behind White. Get it together

m

OK.......HE DOESN'T MAKE MY LIST !

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

m

Recent memory loss is the first stage of it.

• Options

@hammer1 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

m

No memory loss here, ;)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@hammer1 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

m

No memory loss here, ;)

Just cluelessness when it comes to football.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@hammer1 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

m

No memory loss here, ;)

Now you are down to name calling because I don't care for a CHOKER !

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@hammer1 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

m

No memory loss here, ;)

When you rank Romo's career with Quincy Carter, cluelessness is the only logical explanation.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@hammer1 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

m

No memory loss here, ;)

When you rank Romo's career with Quincy Carter, cluelessness is the only logical explanation.

As far as what counts Romo & Carter accomplished the same thing...….NOTHING!!!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@hammer1 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

m

No memory loss here, ;)

Tim is one of the good guys here and he isn’t calling you a name, him calling you clueless is warranted when you say Quincy Carter was better than Romo, cmon deep down you know that isn’t true. We all know you can’t stand Romo and that will always be fine but to single him out as a Quincy Carter is ridiculous.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@hammer1 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

m

No memory loss here, ;)

Tim is one of the good guys here and he isn’t calling you a name, him calling you clueless is warranted when you say Quincy Carter was better than Romo, cmon deep down you know that isn’t true. We all know you can’t stand Romo and that will always be fine but to single him out as a Quincy Carter is ridiculous.

But the thing is......Romo was a choker and everybody that watched him in the big games agree. But there are a couple here what want to crown him KING because of his numbers.

And I didn't say Carter was better that Romo…….only that they both accomplished the same thing. ZERO CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

• Options
    edited February 1, 2019 7:05PM

I just went out and looked at Carter's career as a Cowboy QB. In 3 years he took the Cowboy's to the playoff's and beat the Giants...He is right there with Romo and could run to boot. He had off field problems that got him released from Dallas.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I just went out and looked at Carter's career as a Cowboy QB. In 3 years he took the Cowboy's to the playoff's and beat the Giants...He is right there with Romo and could run to boot. He had off field problems that got him released from Dallas.

He was awful, straight up.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

The thing is.....their numbers were about the same for the time period and the results were the same.

• Options
    edited February 2, 2019 9:02AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

The thing is.....their numbers were about the same for the time period and the results were the same.

Jon its hard to take you seriously

• Options
    edited February 2, 2019 9:16AM

@DIMEMAN said:

The Cowboys were a .500 with him and made the playoffs once as a Wild Card and got drilled by the Panthers 29-10. He lost the only playoff game he was ever in. Never through a playoff TD and threw more career regular Interceptions then touchdown passes. He was horribly inaccurate as a passer. He was exactly the opposite of Tony Romo

Them the facts

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

The Cowboys were a .500 with him and made the playoffs once as a Wild Card and got drilled by the Panthers 29-10. He lost the only playoff game he was ever in. Never through a playoff TD and threw more career regular Interceptions then touchdown passes. He was horribly inaccurate as a passer. He was exactly the opposite of Tony Romo

Them the facts

m

2003 season
    In 2003, with the arrival of new head coach Bill Parcells, all positions were opened to competition, and Carter was involved in a publicized quarterback controversy, when he and Hutchinson competed for a roster spot in the 2002 edition of Hard Knocks, an HBO series that covers the training camp of an NFL team. Carter regained the starting role, bringing stability to the quarterback position and leading the team to a 10–6 record and a playoff appearance.

Against the New York Giants on Monday Night Football, he completed 25 out of 40 passes for a career-high 321 yards, including a touchdwon pass and a touchdon run. Dallas trailed by 3 points with 11 seconds remaining, when he connected a 26-yard pass with wide receiver Antonio Bryant to set up Billy Cundiff's 52-yard field goal that sent the game into overtime. In the extra period, he completed 5-of-8 passes for 61 yards, including a 23-yard toss to tight end Dan Campbell that set up the game winning field goal for a final score of 35–32.[7]

His best game came against the eventual NFC Champion Carolina Panthers, making a career-high for completions (29) on 43 attempts, while passing for 254 yards and 2 touchdowns, including one to Bryant in the last minute of the contest on 4th and 14 for the game winning score. The 24-20 victory assured Dallas its first non-losing season since 1999.[8]

Carter completed 292 out of 505 attempts for 3,302 yards, 17 passing touchdowns, 21 interceptions, 68 carries for 257 yards and 2 rushing touchdowns, while ranking 11th among NFC quarterbacks with a 71.4 rating. He became one of only 5 quarterbacks in franchise history to pass for more than 3,000 yards in a season, joining Roger Staubach (2 times), Danny White (4 times), Steve Pelluer (one time) and Aikman (5 times).

• Options
    edited February 3, 2019 10:52AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Them the facts

m

2003 season
    In 2003, with the arrival of new head coach Bill Parcells, all positions were opened to competition, and Carter was involved in a publicized quarterback controversy, when he and Hutchinson competed for a roster spot in the 2002 edition of Hard Knocks, an HBO series that covers the training camp of an NFL team. Carter regained the starting role, bringing stability to the quarterback position and leading the team to a 10–6 record and a playoff appearance.

Against the New York Giants on Monday Night Football, he completed 25 out of 40 passes for a career-high 321 yards, including a touchdwon pass and a touchdon run. Dallas trailed by 3 points with 11 seconds remaining, when he connected a 26-yard pass with wide receiver Antonio Bryant to set up Billy Cundiff's 52-yard field goal that sent the game into overtime. In the extra period, he completed 5-of-8 passes for 61 yards, including a 23-yard toss to tight end Dan Campbell that set up the game winning field goal for a final score of 35–32.[7]

His best game came against the eventual NFC Champion Carolina Panthers, making a career-high for completions (29) on 43 attempts, while passing for 254 yards and 2 touchdowns, including one to Bryant in the last minute of the contest on 4th and 14 for the game winning score. The 24-20 victory assured Dallas its first non-losing season since 1999.[8]

Carter completed 292 out of 505 attempts for 3,302 yards, 17 passing touchdowns, 21 interceptions, 68 carries for 257 yards and 2 rushing touchdowns, while ranking 11th among NFC quarterbacks with a 71.4 rating. He became one of only 5 quarterbacks in franchise history to pass for more than 3,000 yards in a season, joining Roger Staubach (2 times), Danny White (4 times), Steve Pelluer (one time) and Aikman (5 times).

Tony Romo passed for over 3000 yards 7 times. Four of those seasons he passed for over 4000 yards

Romo passed for 248 touchdowns against 117 interceptions.

Romo is the 5th most accurate passer in NFL history tied with Peyton Manning.

Romo had 8 touchdowns against 2 interceptions in the playoffs.

Quincy Carter stunk in his only play off game against the Panthers

Carter was 11th in the NFC in QB rating out of 16 teams in 2003! Tony Romo’s Qb rating is 4th ALL TIME. All Time. Did I mention all time?

Carters 2003 71.4 QB rating is actually a pathetic number and that was his best season.

m

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

And I didn't say Carter was better that Romo…….only that they both accomplished the same thing. ZERO CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

Same as RANDY MOSS!

• Options

Dimeman caught autism from a flu shot

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Them the facts

m

2003 season

Tony Romo passed for over 3000 yards 7 times. Four of those seasons he passed for over 4000 yards

Romo passed for 248 touchdowns against 117 interceptions.

Romo is the 5th most accurate passer in NFL history tied with Peyton Manning.

Romo had 8 touchdowns against 2 interceptions in the playoffs.

Quincy Carter stunk in his only play off game against the Panthers

Carter was 11th in the NFC in QB rating out of 16 teams in 2003! Tony Romo’s Qb rating is 4th ALL TIME. All Time. Did I mention all time?

Carters 2003 71.4 QB rating is actually a pathetic number and that was his best season.

m

I just wanted to get you goin......and it worked!!! Of course Carter was terrible!

• Options

quincy carter reminds me of my two favorite shows , Quincy and carter country . Also my least favorite presidents

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did like that old TV show "Welcome Back Carter" - it was funny.

• Options