Home U.S. Coin Forum

Top Pop Errors - Better attributed as error or not?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 24, 2019 8:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

@DCW just posted a great error Civil War token from William Bridgens but PCGS lists it as a straight graded MS64. Because it's the 2nd highest graded, it appears in Coin Facts for the coin number.

For errors like this, is it better to have PCGS list it as an error or not? Seems like having it on Coin Facts as a plate coin is a nice bonus.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/34110321

Here it is on Coin Facts:

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1863-token-f-630bg-5b-brass-pe-john-quinn-ny/963392

Comments

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

That wasn't submitted as a Mint Error just as Exonumia and that's way it's posted as a normally graded CWT.

In the ol'e (couple weeks ago) days anything submitted as a Mint Error wouldn't make it onto Coinfacts with the other coins.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    That wasn't submitted as a Mint Error just as Exonumia and that's way it's posted as a normally graded CWT.

That’s my speculation too. I’m wondering if it’s “better” to submit as an error or not?

In the ol'e (couple weeks ago) days anything submitted as a Mint Error wouldn't make it onto Coinfacts with the other coins.

That was also my thought since errors have an E prefixed coin number. Do errors make it on to CounFacts today if they are classified as an error?

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I don't understand your question but based upon my interpretation, I don't believe errors should be listed separately in the population data unless it is one generic category.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:
    Maybe I don't understand your question but based upon my interpretation, I don't believe errors should be listed separately in the population data unless it is one generic category.

I've wondered if errors will get listed in Coin Facts if the coin number is prefixed with an "E". My assumption had been "no" because I've never encountered them there. Will a coin with an "E" coin number appear in Coin Facts?

Here's an example.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I understand your question better. (I didn't read it carefully.)

In the example you used, I don't believe it is meaningful to most collectors of Lincoln cents and the same applies to any other series. I don't believe hardly any collector who is attempting to identify the population ranking for a date/mm combination has much interest in this context.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file