Home U.S. Coin Forum

Pictures of a Most Beautiful Isabella Quarter.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always liked the simple beauty of the Isabella Quarter design and owned a nice example that I regret selling. Though I enjoyed that coin it really couldn't hold a candle to the coin below. It isn't mine and I have no idea who owns it. I was searching for some unrelated medals last night and stumbled across the images, they really struck me so I saved them.

Here they are. Comment if you care to and please post images of any toned Isabella(S) you might have. What a coin!!

Al H.

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin has tremendous eye appeal. It is the kind of coin that the "market" will want in the future even if coin collecting as a hobby declines.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve always loved the design too. It’s a slight bit strange to feature a foreign head of state on a Federal US coin (are there any others?).

Here’s one I found. It’s not quite as nice as the one above, but not ugly either.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Lafayette Dollar.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin. I have never had the option of having one, but will change that this year.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019 10:29AM

Nice coin. @CommemKing has or had a beauty on the BST thread. Don't know him and not working with him in any way, just thought it was a lovely Isabella.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 very pretty examples

Frank

BHNC #203

• Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rob41281 said:
    No longer own this one. PCGS MS62.

This is an example of a coin that has some good color but does not have good eye appeal. Fortunately, you no longer own it.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@Rob41281 said:
    No longer own this one. PCGS MS62.

This is an example of a coin that has some good color but does not have good eye appeal. Fortunately, you no longer own it.

Bought as ANACS 58 from Ebay with dark pics where you could make out the toning but not much else. Bumped to PCGS 62 when I threw it in with a handful of other coins. Too baggy for my liking, prefer my 58/62's with just a touch of rub and minimal marks.

• habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the most Beautifully toned coin I can remember ever seeing.
    Looks as if it was hand painted by one of the Old Masters.. reminds me of a Rubens.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

one thing I learned about Isabella Quarters when I was looking for mine --- the issue as a whole tended be over dipped/cleaned and they were mis-handled. for a non circulating coin with a mintage under 25k there are a lot of AU/MS62 coins out there. finding a nice one with strong luster and minimum contacts in the MS64 range is hard.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Google's reverse image search is telling!

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it. Great picture it really life like.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

@CommemKing said:
    That certainly is a nice one. Here is my toned example. Still mine. no real hurry to sell it.

PCGS MS64 CAC:

Mine is an old PCGS 63 and has the same small ding in the field between the RD of "BOARD" and the figure. I think a factory defect that shouldn't be held against the coin when graded.

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Show offs!

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always loved the coin. I've owned many, none as pretty as these, but have never kept one.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    the Lafayette Dollar.

Lafayette was a French aristocrat and military officer but NOT a foreign head of state.

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    That coin has tremendous eye appeal. It is the kind of coin that the "market" will want in the future even if coin collecting as a hobby declines.

Coin collecting isn't going away.

Beautiful coin BTW.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite designs and when a clipped mint error became available it gave me an excuse to add another to my collection.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019 4:34PM

These are some beautiful Isabella quarters, the OP coin and Justacommeman's especially.

This is the only Isabella I've ever owned. It's in a PCGS XF40 holder.

mirabela
  • ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original design was interesting

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the look of all these beautiful coins of a beautiful design.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019 6:35PM

Very appealing coin, Keets! The "grade" really does not matter much on that one.

Here's a composite of the designs:

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a composite of the designs:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file