Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Most economical way to send a Krause catalog?

DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to help a fellow Forum member in his efforts to learn more about U.S. and world coins, and thought a Krause "Standard Catalog of World Coins" would be a good way to broaden his horizons.

I actually found a few prior editions on-line via Amazon, etc, but none of them qualify for free "Prime" (or even reasonable) shipping to Canada. Instead, the shipping is several times the price of the catalogs I've been looking at.

I have an older one from the mid-2000's I thought might also be a good starting point, which I could "pay-forward".

For those of you who deal with shipping items from the U.S. to Canada, what would be the most economical method to use to send such a bulky catalog, so as not to break the bank? Media mail? Int'l fixed-rate Priority Mail? other?

Thanks in advance!

• Dave

Comments

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much do the electronic versions cost now? I bought the one for Africa in 2010 and I think it was $10.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought mine on EBay I believe the seller had free shipping.

• Options

Thx for the above suggestions.

I tried looking on both Amazon (U.S.) and Amazon.ca, and both had restrictions on shipping the item there, or were several times the cost of the catalog. I even looked into older CD/DVD versions, thinking they were so light to ship they'd have to be cheaper, and THEY were sky-high shipping as well!

Thinking I might look into ordering a CD/DVD to be shipped here & then put it in my own DVD mailer to Canada - - that's GOT to be much less.................

Unless someone wants me to mail it to them here in the U.S., and they WALK it across the border (plus another 70 km above Montreal) to him! LOL! :o;)

• Options

I see a lot of versions on eBay for "PDF" format. Anyone familiar with these, and are they as robust as the print/DVD versions? I'm thinking it might be easier/more fun for the person I'm looking to send it to to receive it in paper format...........

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019 9:50AM

Using Paypal shipping lable feature plug in the various possibilities to compare prices. I would think media mail to be the cheapest unless the weight is so great that priority saves you money.

Forum members might want to save the above link, it takes you directly to creating a shipping label in paypal without involving an ebay sale.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

tell your friend to use Numista.com in the meantime. you find most the same stuff as Krause has for free anytime. except pricing. But that is never correct with Krause anyway.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 said:

Thinking I might look into ordering a CD/DVD to be shipped here & then put it in my own DVD mailer to Canada - - that's GOT to be much less.................

Even cheaper would be ordering the DVD, transferring it to a Dropbox account, and then sending it that way, then run into someone who can take the DVD from you and ship from within Canada at some time in the future.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought there is a special book rate that costs less because it is a book and cannot break, etc.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Media mail USPS.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    I thought there is a special book rate that costs less because it is a book and cannot break, etc.

Not when shipping internationally.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many "forwarders" that move items across the US Canadian border, as it is SO heavily mined, laser cannons, nerve gas, Zombies on patrol etc. They have addresses in border towns, like Niagra Falls, etc. They are a key component in the automotive trade, as it is basically impossible (economically) to ship a 95 pound transmission, or 6' long hood over the border.

The package is sent to the forwarder, who drives across the border with the loot, and then reships it on the other side, or it just gets picked up. There are "professionals" and there are "off the books". You might check with the recipient to see if they know someone on the border.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file