Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How Should I get My Quarter eagle gift graded?

markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 23, 2019 7:40AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I can’t decide, how to get @Paradisefound ‘s gift to me grade. Do I chose NGC witch I have memberships through ANA or bye a new PCGS membership? Help me decide 👍

Sorry for the typos on the pol 😖

How Should I get My Quarter eagle gift graded?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bye a membership witchever you prefer.

• Options

@csanotes sorry for my misplaying there was a tech typo

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your choice.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoy the coin raw. Unless you think it will grade 62 or higher it isn’t worth the cost. If you think it will then PCGS coins look like they bring more money. Submit through a dealer.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this is the only coin you have to slab see if another collector member or dealer will submit for you?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

@BillDugan1959 @Paradisefound generously give it to me as a gift 🎁. I trust @Paradisefound that the coin is 100% genuine

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 If the coin was given to you as a gift, then you are already so far ahead that you should just go ahead and submit it to our hosts.

I lean towards the PCGS membership with eight submissions. I haven't looked up the price of that option recently, but that was the lowest price per coin.

But I will stick with my thought that this is a tough coin for most collectors to judge authenticity.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy PCGS gold status for $149 and get 4 free included Submission

If you send it, see if they will put Paradise found on the label. That would be cool.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a blessing enjoy and @Paradisefound is amazing

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    Definitely send to PCGS. They're just better, the holders, the grading, all of it.

However, have a dealer or forum member do your first submission. Then you can judge for yourself.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait until you have at least 4 coin to submit and save membership as well as shipping cost. Is there any coin show coming up in your area? :)

• Options

PCGS <3

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC through ANA for total submission fees around $60

Putting a poll on this board about grading services will give you skewed results because most of the respondents are biased. I voted to use your existing NGC membership, the two services are most often not that different when assigning grades unless color is involved. In my opinion you would be penny wise and pound foolish to go another way, personally I would get a nice capital holder and leave it raw.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019 9:47AM

Since this piece was a gift, you're way ahead moneywise at thus point. If it were me, I'd choose 3 other coins from my collection and submit.

Edited to add... but I can wait for the Baltimore show to mitigate shipping and insurance...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hold off until you have a few more to submit and then pop for the $149 and PCGS. Don't be in such a hurry....time will not hurt that coin.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2019 10:23AM

@Paradisefound Unfortunately In my area near Boston there are vary few coin show. And the ones that do happen I find after they happen 😭😢😢

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019 10:27AM

If you don't want to a PCGS membership for one coin, see if someone will let it tag along with thier next submission.
    There are quite a few dealers who will send it in as well...for a fee. I believe that it has to be submitted with like era gold coinage.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019 10:35AM

@csanotes said:
    Spend the money on a dictionary or pay someone to proofread your spelling is my smart answer. But otherwise, option D—pay a dealer you trust who is local to you to submit it at a show as a group with their own coins to save on postage and insurance.

Thank you for beating me to this.

The last time that I said something, the OP was banned because he was insulted by my comment.
    [think: Mscmooch]
    :)

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@markelman1125 said:
    @Paradisefound Unfortunately In my area near Boston there are vary few coin show. And the ones that do happen I find after they happen 😭😢😢

Have you tried coin zip? Click your area.....

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy New PCGS subition privlages for $69 and auditions submission payments

Pcgs !

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

A big part of enjoying that coin is how it's displayed. PCGS holders are the better looking ones in my opinion.

There is no substitute

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, option "D" is the correct one. Find a trusted hobbyist or dealer who regularly submits and piggy-back with one of their orders. As for which TPG, well, you're asking the question in a PCGS forum..... so I'd politely go with that one. :)

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forget about spelling errors and the best reason to get the coin graded is to protect the coin itself!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

If protection of the coin is the goal, there are very inexpensive holders that will do this as well as a slab.

• Options

@BryceM the coin @Paradisefound gave to me looks amazing; I think it will grade well. Thought protection is an added bonus 👍👍👍

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slabbing is a waste of money if it has been cleaned or the grade is less that MS62. Show it to a trusted coin dealer or a long time experienced gold coin collector and get his opinion. That coin would look very nice in a Capitol coin holder.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like choice D, submit to PCGS thru a local dealer. You should know a dealer anyway, good time to cultivate a relationship, they want your business.
    @Paradisefound is a beautiful human being. I think you can request @Paradisefound be on the label. And you think it's a fake? You must be daft man!

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude, look where you’re posting this. :smiley:

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    IMHO, you should only purchase Indian Head quarter eagles and Indian Head half eagles that have ALREADY been authenticated & graded. ONLY ONLY ONLY.

Two of the very easiest coins to get burned on.

Out of curiousity, why are more Indian head gold coins counterfeited than the other designs? I don’t own either of them though I think they are terrific looking coins.

• Options

The Indian Head gold coins have incused designs and lack rims, which throws people's perception compared to more conventionally struck coinage (does that for me). Traditionally, better condition Indian Head gold has brought a nice premium compared to gold spot and compared to Liberty Head gold, which encourages counterfeiters. If I have not expressed this well, perhaps you should read the introduction to the Indian 2 1/2 dollar golds in the Red Book.

IMHO, the average collector who ventures into U.S. Gold would do very well to buy already slabbed gold. It is no fun to buy a counterfeit and if a raw coin, the buyer of a gold counterfeit may have much less recourse than they may think.

• Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

When I find enough raw coins I will probably sign up for the highest tier. Since I am unable to attend the Long Beach show or take advantage of any of the other perks; I will wait until I get more raw coins first

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think PCGS will put ParadiseFound on the label. I've tried to get them to put jwitten's toned Indian set on my label and been turned down :'(

• Options

@jwitten I will try but if it down work then 😢

• Options

@BillDugan at least I have a graded one already 👍
    But I trust @Paradisefound has given me a genuine coin. @Paradisefound had a set that my coin came from and 2 of the set coins got good grades 👍

• Options

@markelmann. The forum group has already expressed its clear opinion, and it strikes me that you are not going to take it. Why did you ask?

• Options

She is part of my 1908 set acquired back in 2018 when I just started this hobby. The $10 came back AU58 and $20 WITH MOTTO MS63 <3 I gave the $5 to my Aussie GF when she came visiting me and the rest of the story ends with you @markelman1125 :)

I can assure you it is gold and if I were you just keep her raw for the FUN of it!
    PS: @PerryHall you might recognize the "WITH MOTTO" ;)

@PerryHall said:
    Slabbing is a waste of money if it has been cleaned or the grade is less that MS62. Show it to a trusted coin dealer or a long time experienced gold coin collector and get his opinion. That coin would look very nice in a Capitol coin holder.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2019 7:23PM

<3 Do what your heart desires my friend <3 keep it raw so you can play with it anytime with your bare hands <3

• Options

@Paradisefound maybe a will not get it graded but I will show it to a dealer to see what he thinks the grad is and if he recommends me to get it graded 👍

• Options

@BillDugan1959 I haven’t decided, I am interested in opinions 👍👍👌

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pcgs $69 membership it’s what I do. U get qtrly mkt report priceguide too.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@Paradisefound said:
    <3 Do what your heart desires my friend <3 keep it raw so you can play with it anytime with your bare hands <3

@markelman1125 If so, perhaps an airtight?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

get the gold status and send in a few extra's.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file