Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Some value questions...

I’m mainly a coin collector that has a lot of baseball cards from the 1980’s thru early 2000’s. I have around 15,000 commons from those years with lots of stars and rookies from those years. How much is this volume of cards bringing these days? I’m looking to liquidate.

I also have a well centered 1960 Mantle in PSA 5. What can I look to get for this nice card?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I’m not spamming. Just trying to get an idea of what I may be looking at.

Comments

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a Baseball guy so can't help with the commons. Here is sales data for your Mantle.

Kevin

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough call on the commons without knowing what you have. The easy answer is probably not much. However, I would think that if you had a large chunk of a popular set from the mid-'90s to early-'00s then you could probably slice those off and sell them for a small amount. Problem with those large quantities is that no one wants to pay the shipping fees on that weight.

If you don't have a large chunk of a popular issue your best bet is probably a craigslist ad for local pickup. Don't expect much though. You'll get better responses if you post more accurately what you have.

That Mantle will be in high-demand though.

Arthur

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019 7:28AM

You got your Mantle answer, so I'll address the other question.

You did not give very much to go on. Would be nice to have exact years. Three 5000 count boxes is not a lot of cards. How much TIME do you want to spend?

There are very few rookies in those years (not talking about autographed cards or specialty numbered refractor types) worth much, Jeter and Chipper rookies (if you collected those years) could be an exception, but will likely need to be PSA 10's to be profitable.

A friend of mine has been buying commons in large quantities and he pays next to nothing for them. Many of the lots he buys are picked through.

If you have the time, identify the key cards and pull them, you might want to research for some error cards while you are at it, after that, you might want to donate the rest to a hospital or other place that gives them to young baseball fans.

I picked 1997 and see that's a good year for Ortiz (error card), Beltre and Halliday. Do you have any Bowman Chrome? Looks like all I see are PSA 10's, lots of autos and refractors. I searched ebay under completed listings.

Last year I picked through my pile of cards and found a couple of Chipper rookies and others that I sent in. A few got 9's and were barely worth grading, anything lower was a money loser. I did come up with a PSA 10 Topps Puckett rookie that made it worth it!

If you don't want to donate, go through and put lots of star players together and sell them that way. If you live in Minnesota my buddy might buy them, but you will get mad if he offers you anything for them.

Good luck!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set