Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Can I trust ICG slabs

In the last 6 years I have spent most of my time on the US forum. Recently I have acquired a number of ancient Roman, Greek, some Persian coins form the 45 bc to 4th century ad. They have all been slabbed by ICG. Should i be any more wary of a slab from ICG being an unidentified forgery than NGC or ANACS. I am hoping in the next few days to put up some of the coins that I need help with. here is a sample of some of the items in the collection as you can see the first and last one are the ICG

Comments

• Thank you! right from the source. Please excuse me for Mentioning ICG but I did because I was unfamiliar with the grading service. So I can assume that the item that is in the slab is correct to the listing tag on the slab. I understand about everyone thinks that they at one time in their career they feel that they have gotten a misgraded item back. I will check out ICG services Thank you

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Nice set of coins, Minuteman! Good variety.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not bad but why only AU, why not pay a little more for MS? :D

It is incredible that there are such high grade coins existing from 1500 - 2000 years ago.

• I am not sure that the way that these coins must have been fabricated that Hammered, stamped by hand that an MS or something similar would have been possible. I wonder if there was any such thing as proof in any of these items

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think ICG grades fairly accurate but if you ever want to sell through Heritage they do not auction ICG slabs.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• I will probably list them here first and maybe Stacks and Bowers. Do you think that crossing them to PCGS would offset the cost. It certainly would give me another forum like Heritage to consider. I have a lot of both Roman and Greek items to list and will probably have to choose which ones would be better crossed over for grad.e

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% trust ICG with Daniel Carr replicas.

• NGC does not guarantee authenticity on ancients. From their website....

NGC Ancients is committed to grading only genuine coins, but it does not guarantee authenticity, genuineness or attribution, nor is any guarantee of these aspects implied. NGC Ancients will only holder coins it considers genuine at the time of submission, but it cannot guarantee the authenticity, genuineness, type, attribution or date of any coin it holders. Unlike modern coins, which often benefit from well-documented, scientific parameters for the verification of authenticity, there rarely is conclusive data for ancient coins, and generally there is no surviving documentation to verify production characteristics

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I work for ICG. We no longer certify ancients. I believe the folks who certified the coins you posted are working for ANACS now.

The real question is: Can I trust ANY major TPGS? My simple answer is YES That's because when any of the major services slabs a coin (and let's not turn this into a thread dealing with certification errors) that proves to be a counterfeit, they have guarantees to rectify their mistake.

Oh, you mean ANACS will stand behind the old small white holders? NOT!

Oh, that’s a different ANACS? Now I have to keep up with the various owners of the TPGS? Ha! Like I have time for that.

ANACS, ICG, SEGS. No time for that nonsense.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, and IGC “no longer certifies ancients?” The one guy who knew how quit and we got out of that business. How professional.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does PCGS certify and slab ancients?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

@ajaan said:
    Does PCGS certify and slab ancients?

no

• Hello Bidask How about NGC. The only thing that I am trying to make sure of is without the book reference or a good online source for ancients the last thing I want to happen is me selling something that is not real. I could post the items I have to sell here on the forum to see if anyone has opinion on the authenticity of the graded slabs, but I have way too many to make that workable. Many of the items I have are on ebay as raw coins and does not seam to be a problem. The fact that it is in and ICG holder should be a step of of certainty for buyer. What do you think

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would trust green label ICG ancients over NGC.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of ancient collectors, from what I understand, prefer their coins raw, actually.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said: "I think ICG grades fairly accurate but if you ever want to sell through Heritage they do not auction ICG slabs.

There is a simple reason for this. It is a personal thing that goes beyond a business decision. A business decision occurred when the ATS started grading problem coins. When that happened Heritage stopped using ICG exclusively for auctioning problem coins.

@pruebas said:

@Insider2 said:
    I work for ICG. We no longer certify ancients. I believe the folks who certified the coins you posted are working for ANACS now.

The real question is: Can I trust ANY major TPGS? My simple answer is YES That's because when any of the major services slabs a coin (and let's not turn this into a thread dealing with certification errors) that proves to be a counterfeit, they have guarantees to rectify their mistake.

Oh, you mean ANACS will stand behind the old small white holders? NOT!

Oh, that’s a different ANACS? Now I have to keep up with the various owners of the TPGS? Ha! Like I have time for that.

ANACS, ICG, SEGS. No time for that nonsense.

I don't concern myself with ANACS anything so I cannot comment on their guarantee. They do have a knowledgeable and experienced core of talent. The fact that you don't have time for the TPGS's you mention is your personal choice. You are probably limiting your collecting choices.

@pruebas said:
    Oh, and IGC “no longer certifies ancients?” The one guy who knew how quit and we got out of that business. How professional.

I think J.P. was the grader you refer to. Let me explain about professionals. A true professional knows his/her limits. I'll bet you didn't know a top TPGS refused to certify tokens, ancients, or paper money until they could do it in a PROFESSIONAL manner. They could have done tokens and medals the day after I was hired; yet It took years for the start up to occur.

BTW, someone posted here that PCGS does not certify ancients. If true, that is a PROFESSIONAL choice.

PS Congratulations on your recent promotion to "Ex-pert." :)

edited January 23, 2019 7:17PM

@Minuteman810430 said:
    Hello Bidask How about NGC. The only thing that I am trying to make sure of is without the book reference or a good online source for ancients the last thing I want to happen is me selling something that is not real. I could post the items I have to sell here on the forum to see if anyone has opinion on the authenticity of the graded slabs, but I have way too many to make that workable. Many of the items I have are on ebay as raw coins and does not seam to be a problem. The fact that it is in and ICG holder should be a step of of certainty for buyer. What do you think

NGC seems to be the first choice for raw ancients. Selling raw is up to you and the buyer but there are fakes.

I agree that being in a ICG slab adds some certainty for the buyer.