Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1974 Topps Baseball Rack Pack - Resealed?

For those who know something about old Racks and resealing, curious of your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

I am not an expert.
    This would have had to have been a Baltimore baseball card night due to the header.
    Assuming the header is legit, I am not confident that the "traded" cards were issued that early. The fact that the rookie card says "Washington" instead of San Diego would also seem to be a mismatch with a "traded" card.
    The condition of the cards doesn't appear to be that good, particularly the Balor Moore.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019 5:15PM

Those were distributed at several ML baseball parks by Topps in 1974 including Baltimore, Detroit and Oakland. They are legit and follow standard Topps collation with cards from one * sheet in header section, cards from one * or two ** sheet in middle section and cards from two ** sheet in the far section.

Traded cards are found in both middle and far sections in a 74 rack and are not uncommon. In 76, they are found in middle section along with other cards from the no asterisk sheets in 1976.

The 74 racks with blue Topps header card should carry a premium vs these team header racks.

This particular rack looks legit to me with standard curling and crazing along the edges but exhibits a fair amount of wear and tear.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Thanks Tim!!

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

So, just out of curiosity, a "Washington" card can appear in the same cell as a "Traded" card?
    I would have thought only "San Diego" cards would have been printed by the time the "Traded" cards came out.
    When would the "Traded" cards been first released? My fuzzy 10 year old recollection was thinking school had ended before they began appearing in packs.
    Thanks.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019 5:56PM

@georgebailey2 said:
    So, just out of curiosity, a "Washington" card can appear in the same cell as a "Traded" card?
    I would have thought only "San Diego" cards would have been printed by the time the "Traded" cards came out.
    When would the "Traded" cards been first released? My fuzzy 10 year old recollection was thinking school had ended before they began appearing in packs.
    Thanks.

Depends on the card and what sheet it was printed off. Traded cards in 1974 should appear only in middle or far sections. Traded cards are very commonly found in racks from both 1974 and 1976.

I believe there were 15 players total including McCovey that bore the Washington designation.

I believe Traded cards had already been printed before the correction to SD Padres was made for those cards affected by the variation, but I'm not sure what those exact dates were.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

Tim knows his stuff, great guy to have on the board!

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    • 1 for Tim
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

@81 Topps Guy said:
    Tim knows his stuff, great guy to have on the board!

2nd that emotion

Can confirm both the traded cards and the Washington national cards could be pulled from the same pack

John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options

@Dragnet said:
    For those who know something about old Racks and resealing, curious of your thoughts.

How many of those did you have? Packs from Memorial Stadium have rarely hit the market.