Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1935 Peace dollar (grade posted)

SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 22, 2019 8:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's a 1935 Peace dollar I got several years ago. It was in a small white ANACS holder that I cracked it out of, and put it into my Dansco Peace dollar album. Feel free to guess the grade if you want. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

Comments

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019 2:12PM

Sweet I would say Gem BU with a CAC sticker🤷🏼‍♀️ or 66 in this fancy smancy system, if you got it at 58 it's a steal I'm not a peace guy the high points on the tail feathers may be problematic if I was paying that though. 🤷🏼‍♀️ That's one heck of an album coin🤤

That's one coin if toning was 40% of grade and they graded this like diamonds I'd give it a 90/100. Love the toning and I'm color blind and don't usually go ga ga on that attribute 😜

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 is my thought

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although on second thought, looks like some rub, so maybe 58

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Small white ANACS holders, by in large, were conservatively graded. I'll wag an ms64.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2019 2:26PM

We had 50 orginialrolls of 23 peace dollars from a bankers bank vault thinking they were 64s and in t 90s came back 63 this one with toning is😜

Second thought AT I'll give you 50 times face🤣🤐 and if you broke a 66 out for an album your more foolish than me🤦🏻‍♀️ Did I say that out loud? I'm a better expert on the good, better, est scale🍺

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANACS, probably said 63, but I'd give it a 58.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2019 10:19AM

Never seen many ms64s in the old anacs but I never was out for those so I wouldn't know.
    Coin collecting like anything else. Know your limitation and get a professional on higher grades IMO. For bust coins Dick Osburn was the man on my album coins XF down.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a pretty 62.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll guess it was graded as a 64.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64? Love the subtle color.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

62 luster doesn’t support anything higher

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

Agree with those suggesting 58. It is a great looking coin regardless of grade!

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in around MS62-63, but it doesn't really matter. It's a perfect coin for a nice album.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks 65 TO ME, so I have to subtract 2 points and call it a 63....................and that's how I grade Peace Dollars

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks MS 63 from here. These are rather tough.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019 8:26PM

FWIW, the very first set I ever put together was the Peace dollar set, circa late 1980's early 1990's. They were all in rattlers, and mainly graded MS65 with a few MS64 for the tougher date/MM. I strongly suspect most of them would easily upgrade given today's standards. So, I'm familiar with grading Peace dollars. I sold the set circa 2000.

I still love Peace dollars, so a few years ago I decided to put together a Dansco set of them, in this case with more of a price limit per coin, as opposed to a grade per coin, that I was looking for.

This 1935 was graded MS61 in the small white ANACS holder. I didn't see any rub on the reverse whatsoever. I'm fairly certain there's no rub on the obverse, but that's a bit tougher, as there's an angle or two that if you tilt the coin it's difficult to tell, particularly with the toning. To me it sure looked like a higher grade. Given the value/cost of a MS61 it was a no brainer to buy to crack out and put in the Dansco.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say 64 and a nice one at that. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SkyMan said:
    FWIW, the very first set I ever put together was the Peace dollar set, circa late 1980's early 1990's. They were all in rattlers, and mainly graded MS65 with a few MS64 for the tougher date/MM. I strongly suspect most of them would easily upgrade given today's standards. So, I'm familiar with grading Peace dollars. I sold the set circa 2000.

I still love Peace dollars, so a few years ago I decided to put together a Dansco set of them, in this case with more of a price limit per coin, as opposed to a grade per coin, that I was looking for.

Great coin!!! Brings back memories!!

The first complete set I ever put together was the Peace Dollar set too...mid-1980's...all purchased raw and I leaned heavily on the Wayne Miller book...I was aiming for Choice UNC graded coins

When ANACS first came out with their grading service I sent them all in and got them back in the small white slabs...I've since sold them all but as I remember I got about half back in 61 and 62 and the other half in 63 and 64....I sold them about ten years ago...the only ones that had appreciated significantly in price were the key dates...

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Light scratches plus gem like surfaces, limit the grade.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 61 is a fair grade I might of thought 62 without in hand. The 2 long scratch on front held it. But very nice. Congrats

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file