Home U.S. Coin Forum

New postal regulations from Europe... Not good!

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received a shock....
37 dollars shipping registered from Germany for 5 small coins worth $ 30,
New and enforcd postal rates from Germany starting 2019 January 01.
seller apologizes profusely. See link to DHL's new rates from Germany.
You are NOT ALLOWED to ship anything else but documents when using letter post.
it goes on and on and is very restrictive.... and convoluted. all I can say is this: good luck, FEDEX here I come.
here is the link... unfortunately in German. could not find English.
https://www.paketda.de/ausland/warensendung-international.php

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another reason I don't buy or sell outside of the US

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

It's a changing world. I spent a full day buying a coin. Oh you account looks like it may be hacked (real I'd , tracking you) IMO. Had to call and wasn't fixed so emailed and thought I brought it but didn't show in purchased items. I changed my password so they sent me a code on my phone. Dang this new world is managing my hard earned money. I just wanted a coin what a hassle.😬

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was in Germany and I vaguely recall a relationship between DeutshePost and DHL. Does DHL handle all of their packages? Or did your seller try to use DHL letter for what should have been a package?

Strictly speaking, letters are not supposed to contain merchandise of any kind. They are not subject to customs.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

There will be many more, much larger problems if certain fools try to pull the US out of the Universal Postal Union (Union postale universelle).

• ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

I hear ya. I'm not sure I need upu to handle free trade though, the old systems need revising it's more about control than free trade having a member of USPS in the household. I wish governments would stick to infstructure. I don't need help buying from overseas

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Globalization is not cheap. And Google is not your friend in the new world order. In the end,as usual, the consumer always pays.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The UPU agreements are about consistency to encourage free communication and individual merchandise exchange. Free trade is controlled through tariff, customs, export/import and related agreements.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019 12:46PM

I just bought a dollar-sized token in a plastic capsule from a seller in China for about 75 cents, shipping included. And they still made money.

Something is not quite right. :/

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I needed a diamond coated drill bit to drill a hole in glass.

11 cents delivered to me from China.

I know the USPS lost money on that one.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

As mentioned above...China takes advantage of this! The whole agreement needs to be renegotiated.

@RogerB said:
    There will be many more, much larger problems if certain fools try to pull the US out of the Universal Postal Union (Union postale universelle).

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check with the dealer before you make a purchase with, whom/who they
    ship with. I asked for Fed Ex instead of DHL offering to pay the difference
    and I was told no. I could accept DHL or have my money refunded. This
    dealer is not on my list of dealers I deal with. This occurred in 2015. From
    Europe there are NO cheap shipping options.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019 3:05PM

DHL is corp owned by and operated by Deutsche Post are pretty well one and the same.
    an entity can register now with them and get better rates and conditions.. you must send at least 5 parcels every quarter. if you send coins from Germany now, they must be sent "legally" as a parcel.
    Sellers in Europe are not happy either.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

tried for a while to find something in English. But no luck so far.
    apparently a regular letter mailed by a private individual is going up by up to 400%.
    Nobody is happy there especially after it was made public that the CEO is getting paid 232 times of what a normal postal worker makes.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently had to ship a gold coin back to Germany; ebay requires signature back up for verification, even with priority that was not possible. With the ebay requirements it was hard to get to the best action.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

It cost me $16.50 to send a $3.00 paperback book to Canada. That will be the last time for me.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a pain !!! :'(

Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file