Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canada 1968 10 cent silver error-- need help please

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this 1968 10 cent error and totally exhausted my ways of searching for a solution. I even tried to find if it was struck by the RCM on a foreign planchet. But did not find a list which includes 1968
I hope someone can help here:
A coin is off center
B weight is 2.42 grams
C weight of normal 1968 dime is 2.07 grams
D normal coin has reeded edge
E my coin has rounded edge, no reeding at all
F diameter of my coin is 18.57 mm
G normal coin diameter is 18.03 mm
thanks everyone

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought there were two versions of 1968 dimes. One struck in Canada and the other struck in the USA. Wasn't 1968 the transition year they went from silver to nickel?

As an off center coin it would not have been seated in the collar, hence no reeding.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I thought there were two versions of 1968 dimes. One struck in Canada and the other struck in the USA. Wasn't 1968 the transition year they went from silver to nickel?

As an off center coin it would not have been seated in the collar, hence no reeding.

The examples struck in Philadelphia are distinguisable by the fact that they have finer reeding more typical of American coins than the Canadian coins.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@SaorAlba said:

@JBK said:

The examples struck in Philadelphia are distinguisable by the fact that they have finer reeding more typical of American coins than the Canadian coins.

Yes I agree, but wasn't the metal composition different also? Or did Canada strike in both metals
    in 1968? (If they did then the lack of reeding will prevent identification of the mint of origin).

Back to your coin: the lack of reeding and diameter variation can easily be explained by the offcenter strike. I don't know about the weight, which is why I mentioned the two varieties. Does the weight of yours match either one? If not, if you can determine where it was struck then you can consider if there were other planchets (for other countries) around at that time.

• Options

Thanks everyone,
    The last year when some Canadian circulation coins had silver content was 1968 (dimes and Quarters 50 %)
    this coin is 50 % silver, 50% copper
    weight is 2.42 grams . regular coins are 2.07 grams
    I was trying to find info at the RCM to see if it is possible to be on a Foreign planchet. because of the weight.
    since it is silver, it is made by THe RCM and not P.
    if you look at the impressions of both sides, it appears that even if it were struck correctly, the planchet would be larger than the coin... maybe my eyes are off (old) .

• Options

That answers a lot, then. Made in Canada of silver - either an overweight Canadian planchet or foreign.

I assume - but this is just a guess - that if Canada needed US help in making dimes that year then the RCM might not have been minting for other countries, but who knows.

How is the thickness (taking account of the upset/raised rim)? My other guess is that it could be a dime sized planchet struck from a strip intended for quarters. On the US Coin forum I have seen people do the math to figure out what a wrong strip coin would weigh, but I am not sure of the calculation method.

• Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

@YQQ Isn't a regular 1968 Silver Canadian Dime 2.33g?

• Options
    SPPSPP Posts: 34 ✭✭✭

Your coin is nothing special H - other than a striking error.

Silver 10c coins official weight for 1967 and 1968 is 2.33 grams, your coin at 2.42 grams is perfectly within RCM tolerances...

The collar die produces the reeding, so without the reeding, your coin was struck without the collar (i.e., a broadstrike).

Your coin is an off-centre broadstrike, actually not an uncommon striking error with silver 10c coins through the 1960s.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019 9:09AM

Yes, only the 1968 nickel-alloy coins (the dimes) were 2.07 grams and from then-on. In '68, the weight was as SPP says ... 2.33 g.

• Options

Thx, that is what I had been trying to determine.

• Options

Thank you everyone, very interesting
    Will most likely list it on the bay. divesting myself of items I do not really want.
    might post a few others here for comments.

• Options
    SPPSPP Posts: 34 ✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019 10:03PM

Nice mint state examples (MS-63 or better) of off-centred broad strikes typically sold at coin shows for $75 or so, $100+ for those with the younger effigy (pre-1965). When it comes to errors, 10c seem to be the least popular denominations of all... yours does have a lovely cameo however... that could bring a few bidders out of the woodwork, because errors are all about the "wow-factor" and eye-appeal.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great example!

• Options

thanks everyone...
    we shall see what feebay brings for this one.
    unless someone here PMs with a decent offer, that is where it will go in a few days.
    will soon have questions about another.