Home Sports Talk
Options

Saints - Rams non interference call

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

I caught a snipet of Limbaugh this afternoon, where a call-in guy was livid about the missed call. In the course of the discussion, Limbaugh said there was an NFL rule that could be enacted by the Commissioner that would in essence negate the game and require a new game. I tried to search for such a rule, but couldn't find it. I'm curious, does anyone know of such a rule?

The missed call was just so blatant as to be unbelievable, and given the time remaining, it looks like the Saints had a lock with some clock management and then the winning field goal...assuming the field goal is made.

If such a rule exists, I seriously doubt that it would ever be enforced, given the money won or lost and the logistical nightmare it would cause for a bunch of reasons. I think the Rams know they're coming in the back door, and if I were a Saint's fan, I'd be livid too, they clearly got robbed. That ref should never wear the pinstripes again...ever.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

If only there were a thread titled 'If the NFL admits they missed the call at the end of the Rams - Saints game???' >:)

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing that it didn't get called as that's where the play was going. ONE of the officials should have been looking that way.

Saw a Vikings running back get tackled by the facemask and some vicious helmet to helmet hits on runners later in the season not get called.

Bummer when it effects the outcome of a big game.

Anyone think coach should be able to challenge some of these? The NFL talks a lot about stopping concussions, should the headshots be challenge-able? We're living with a LOT of replays.

Maybe they should have a "Well that was certainly obvious" guy in N.Y. (or where ever) call them?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the pass wasn't tipped, watch the replay, not even close.
    the receiver may have caught the pass but he never had the opportunity to do so.
    Rush Limbaugh is more full of crap than a Thanksgiving Turkey, what a disgusting person.

it was a bad play but is done, we will all live. as Sam Rutigliano once so famously said, there are a billion Chinese that don't really care about it.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

This ref was either a Rams fan or had big money on them. Either way he should be fired immediately and blacklisted so he can never ref a college or pro game again

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019 4:38AM

if you thought the no-call was bad before, check this vid out. not one, but two refs within a few yards of the play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z--m55G_GZU

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019 5:52AM

@galaxy27 It’s really inexcusable, not 1 but 2 refs? Ridiculous

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

I read an article about this. I think Limbaugh is focusing on the first paragraph that says the commish has power. The second paragraph says:

The rule reads, "The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which the Commissioner deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game."

It doesn't say anything about bad referees. I found it by googling "nfl rule about commissioner replaying game."

Rule 17, Section 2, Article 1 et seq.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the saints were up 13 points and playing at home and couldn't win it. The refs missed a call sure but didn't the saints win the toss and not score in OT ? They deserved to lose the game and they did

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@larryallen73 said:
    I read an article about this. I think Limbaugh is focusing on the first paragraph that says the commish has power. The second paragraph says:

The rule reads, "The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which the Commissioner deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game."

It doesn't say anything about bad referees. I found it by googling "nfl rule about commissioner replaying game."

Rule 17, Section 2, Article 1 et seq.

this is correct. I think the rule is more for an instance if a sideline player were to enter the field of play to make a game saving tackle. while egregious, I think it would be opening up a whole can of worms if the comish started having games replayed over bad calls

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will be interesting to observe the penalty calls in the SB. Ultra scrutiny of the refs? Less benefit of the doubt by refs on Ram penalties, they having their gift non-call already?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rush Limbaugh is feeling his oats, he's always been a self-righteous blowhard. now, hot on the heels of influencing the stuffed shirt in the White House, he probably feels someone, somewhere, sometime will listen to his view on the rules of the NFL.

back on topic, I think it's sort of funny that we so openly talk about the "Gift" calls or the "Payback" calls that seem to happen in major sports. everyone I know mentions it whenever there's a bad call followed closely by a Phantom call. another similar example is when something takes place that seems bogus and no replay is shown. heck, they replay almost every play during a game so we always assume that such calls were intended to help one Team or the other.

I think the NFL will respond to the Saints/Rams non-call and admit that a mistake was made, I just don't think that will happen before the Super Bowl is played.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is coincidence or not, but I just read where that ref's brother-in-law who works stocking shelves on the night shift at Walmart, just the other day purchased a 1/2 million dollar yacht with cash. ;)