Home Sports Talk
Options

Something unusual about a particular sport

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tell us something unusual about a sport that we may have never know, or something that you find interesting. It could be historical facts, rules, or anything under the sun. Let's see how many of us knew, and how many of us didn't know. I'll start off with this one. Nothing earth shattering, just something unusual about this particular sport..........................

Baseball is the only sport where the defense has the ball. In all other sports, the offense has the ball.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    Tell us something unusual about a sport that we may have never know, or something that you find interesting. It could be historical facts, rules, or anything under the sun. Let's see how many of us knew, and how many of us didn't know. I'll start off with this one. Nothing earth shattering, just something unusual about this particular sport..........................

Baseball is the only sport where the defense has the ball. In all other sports, the offense has the ball.

Defense has the ball in a lot of sports. Do you mean at the start of every play?

Hockey players are allowed to fight, even though they get penalized, they are usually allowed to return to play in the same game.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Basketball is the only sport where one team can intentionally break the rules, with the goal of being caught breaking the rules, to their own advantage. It's what makes basketball unwatchable, as the team that is behind late in the game commits penalty after penalty and stopping the clock every five seconds. Fix: the team that is fouled gets one free throw, and then gets the ball back.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

@dallasactuary said:
    Basketball is the only sport where one team can intentionally break the rules, with the goal of being caught breaking the rules, to their own advantage. It's what makes basketball unwatchable, as the team that is behind late in the game commits penalty after penalty and stopping the clock every five seconds. Fix: the team that is fouled gets one free throw, and then gets the ball back.

Also only sport with a lottery that is supposed to stop teams from trying to lose games, that by the way doesn't work at all. How funny!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@1970s said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Defense has the ball in a lot of sports. Do you mean at the start of every play?

Thank you for the clarification. I think what I was trying to say was in baseball the defense begins the ball while trying to shut down the offense. In other sports, the offense begins with the ball in trying to dominate the defense.

I am ALL about the clarification baby! :-)

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Tennis is the only sport that is both team, and individual.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

Baseball is also the only sport where the player (person) scores, not the ball (or puck, or object).

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

cricket , the only thing more boring than watching paint dry and the damn limeys and all their former colonies can't get enough of it.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 and 4 person life is a sport where the the top speed of an Olympic champion luge team that trains for years to be the best is about 1 to 2 seconds faster than the time of a luge sled going down the track crewed only with a sack of potatoes.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darn auto correct.

Luge, not Life.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2019 8:54PM

@bronco2078 said:
    cricket , the only thing more boring than watching paint dry and the damn limeys and all their former colonies can't get enough of it.

Someone tried to explain cricket scoring to me once and I lapsed into a coma. I then tried to explain baseball to him and he hasn’t spoke to me since

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@dallasactuary said:
    Pro football is the only game where a coin toss decides the winner of a championship game.

Funny. Although in todays NFC game the Saints had the ball first and lost. But yes a tremendous advantage on a 50/50 toss

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

In basketball the defense can work there butt to cause a jump ball and the offense gets the ball back with alternating possessions rule

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

Wrestling has both.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2019 9:36PM

@JoeBanzai said:

@garnettstyle said:

Wrestling has both.

Golf, swimming and diving as well

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@garnettstyle said:

Wrestling has both.

Golf, swimming and diving as well

m

When did golf become a sport? ;-)

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1763 Indians invited the British to watch them play a game of lacrosse outside a British fort in the colonies,
    the British general agreed despite being warned it could be a trap. He even placed a bet on who would win.
    The Indian women hid weapons inside their clothing and made their way to the wide open garrison doors, then on a signal the Indians quit the lacrosse game, rushed the fort, grabbed weapons from the women and pretty much killed all the British soldiers.

So lacrosse has fairly 'loose' rules it would seem. Being allowed to kill spectators and whatnot.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball and they tell you to hit it square."

Willie Stargell

• Options
    edited January 20, 2019 10:23PM

In college football a man is paid $200,000 a week to yell at players that are amateurs and cannot be paid.

• Options

@Darin said:
    In 1763 Indians invited the British to watch them play a game of lacrosse outside a British fort in the colonies,
    the British general agreed despite being warned it could be a trap. He even placed a bet on who would win.
    The Indian women hid weapons inside their clothing and made their way to the wide open garrison doors, then on a signal the Indians quit the lacrosse game, rushed the fort, grabbed weapons from the women and pretty much killed all the British soldiers.

So lacrosse has fairly 'loose' rules it would seem. Being allowed to kill spectators and whatnot.

I'll stick with golf.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball is also the only sport where the team that goes on offense first, is known well before the start of the game. The visiting team always goes first....the home team never does.

In other sports, the team that gets to go on offense first, is determined by a coin toss, face-off or jump-ball.

Steve

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@garnettstyle said:

Wrestling has both.

In high school or college? Pro wrestling doesn't count.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@garnettstyle said:

Wrestling has both.

In high school or college? Pro wrestling doesn't count.

OP said sport, not professional sport.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

no wrestling counts . its either fake or way too much about dudes hugging each other

• Options

ha ha

• Options

Designated hitter

EOM