Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Card show for collector trading only?

I’m brand new to this forum (hi) and recently back into collecting (vintage baseball, goal of having one HOF card per player) - I have an idea and am wondering if this has ever been done and/or if you think this would work.... a card show only for collector trading.

Maybe segregated into sports, era, cards vs memorabilia, etc. Maybe even find a way to pre-list “haves/needs” ahead of time to help make the day more efficient.

Just a starter thought here.... thoughts? Thanks

Comments

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Welcome back. There are only a handful of card shows left now and any restrictions/limitations would basically kill the show. Most dealers are there to sell and also buy inventory on the cheap.

• CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

@GoDodgersFan said:
    Welcome back. There are only a handful of card shows left now and any restrictions/limitations would basically kill the show. Most dealers are there to sell and also buy inventory on the cheap.

Yes, I agree, I remember in the early 1990's there seemed to be a show almost 7 days/week around the Toronto area and I would spend Saturday's hitting up multiple shows. Now there is usually about 1 per week at most....Attendance at some of these shows are pretty good for about 2 hours and then a ghost town. Many dealers I am not sure how they operate profitably with all the costs as it is. The shows that have really good consistent attendance are due to autograph signings and the cards almost seem secondary....I know I am in the minority here, but I go to a few shows in the Buffalo, NY area (1.5 hrs away) and Detroit, MI area and if I got caught bringing too much over to trade, it could be an issue. If I declare it to the US Customs guy, they can make it a real paperwork nightmare if they are feeling it that day....No free trade for me....

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

Who would finance a "trading only" show. I would assume it would have to be solely the attendees, which means entrance fees would be higher than normal.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

First off, welcome back! Seems lots of people are returning to the hobby in recent years. I think trading only at a traditional show wouldn't fly. However, I have heard of card shops sponsoring trade nights for customers. It is a great way to get people into the shop and create buzz usually it would be on a Friday/Sat after hours. I think rbicru 7 has some video up on youtube. Seems very popular

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• Thx for the tips, all.... and for the welcome back greetings. Lot of changes since I was last involved in the hobby.

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Where is the money to be made? Maybe have a section that is "trade only" would be possible.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get the idea of what you saying here. I think that most people are looking at this as a show where dealers come in and set up then the public comes in and people can only trade. I guess I didn't read the OP as such. If you are looking at a true "trading" show, probably have to omit dealers completely. "Dealers" are generally there to make a profit and trading most likely won't appeal to many unless they are getting a lot in return for basically nothing. It's not a bad thing, just business.
    Maybe you could set up something locally where you find a place that is fairly inexpensive to rent for a few hours on a Saturday/Sunday, charge enough admission to cover the cost where it is only collectors coming in to trade. As previously posted, some card shops have/do trade nights. If you have one local you could check or possibly talk to the owner to maybe set one up.
    Good luck in your collecting!
    Tim

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Thx Tim.... now you have me wondering if I could expand the idea to a “virtual” trading show. Maybe a place for collectors to trade value for value... it expands the size of the group, is not bound by geography etc

The downside is trading cards sight, unseen

Do you think this forum could work for something like this?

• I don't think you're going to get a show in the traditional sense that is trade only. However I can say that some of the guys over on net54 have sponsored trade days at their home/office with great success.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeweyFinn said:
    Thx Tim.... now you have me wondering if I could expand the idea to a “virtual” trading show. Maybe a place for collectors to trade value for value... it expands the size of the group, is not bound by geography etc

The downside is trading cards sight, unseen

Do you think this forum could work for something like this?

https://www.tradingcarddb.com

• KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

I don't know if you're talking vintage cards but the OBC people have a very good system in place.
    oldbaseball.com/

• GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

I know at the National there were a few trade nights. One was held a elementary school.

• interesting.... might have to road-trip to a national soon as part of my re-entry back into the hobby

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe if you want to take the iniative put a listing on craigslist and meet in a public location like a library etc .