Home Sports Talk
Options

What player has come closest to being the next Mickey Mantle?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I'll try one more time in a different way.

Rod Carew was a GREAT bunter, practiced it every day in BP. Would he have been as good a bunter if he was right handed?

Better way to ask is; was he better/more successful getting on base because he batted lefty and was closer to first base?

I don't think of that as "downgrading or punishing" him or his abilities. Just a fact.

Yeah, this doesn't help you any.

Hitting left or right-handed isn't really a choice. Switch hitting is.

Again, your point was that Mantle should be downgraded for being a switch hitter because it helped him against pitchers and in certain ballparks. You wanted him punished for developing a skill that would eliminate disadvantages he might have otherwise had. That makes no sense.

Didn't think it would. I give up.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys can shine up all the stats you want. But he wrecked his family with drinking , himself , his wife , and didn't his kid even drink himself to death in his 30's? The guy was a loser , because he was famous he stole a liver transplant from some regular person that actually deserved it and probably started drinking again a week later.

A> @Tabe said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I'll try one more time in a different way.

Rod Carew was a GREAT bunter, practiced it every day in BP. Would he have been as good a bunter if he was right handed?

Better way to ask is; was he better/more successful getting on base because he batted lefty and was closer to first base?

I don't think of that as "downgrading or punishing" him or his abilities. Just a fact.

Yeah, this doesn't help you any.

Hitting left or right-handed isn't really a choice. Switch hitting is.

Again, your point was that Mantle should be downgraded for being a switch hitter because it helped him against pitchers and in certain ballparks. You wanted him punished for developing a skill that would eliminate disadvantages he might have otherwise had. That makes no sense.

I want him punished for being a worthless alcoholic and stealing some poor bastards liver.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:>
    I want him punished for being a worthless alcoholic and stealing some poor bastards liver.

He was a monumentally bad husband and father. He died young (didn't quite make it to 64) and full of regrets, so I don't know if that's punishment enough for you, but until we can bring him back to life and kill him again, it'll have to do.

My father died waiting for a heart to become available. I was initially suspicious of Mantle's transplant being unfair, but that is not the case. According to the way they chose who got the organ, at that time, he was the person closest to death that needed a liver when one became available. That process has been changed and if it happened today he might not get it.

To be fair (or at least human) Mantle did change his ways and TRY to make amends for his past behavior. He did royally screw up his children though. His wife could have left him (never did though) but his sons didn't really have that option.

Certainly not a man to be admired as a person.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

And that's why I could never really get into Mantle cards. Nothing really too admirable about him, unlike
    Ted Williams or Stan Musial, Willie Stargell or Harmon Killebrew or the great Clemente. Mantle was known for being really mean to kids who would ask for an auto, Musial was one of the most decent, nicest players ever to
    his many fans. I know whose auto or cards I would rather have.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Met Musial once at a signing and Killebrew several times. They treated you like the important person.

Just wonderful guys.