Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1973 Topps Football Cello Pack

For those who know something about this issue (i.e. Tim, John, others), I'm curious if you've ever seen (or heard) of a version without the price label/barcode, much like the '72 issue?

I couldn't find any that PSA has graded, however I've seen many over the years graded and authenticated by GAI.

Would love to hear!

Comments

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

More bogus “grocery cellos?”

• DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    More bogus “grocery cellos?”

Yes, I do know those exist and are precisely as stated "bogus' -- I guess I should have mentioned that I was speaking of large cellos (i.e. 30-card cellos) which don't have the price sticker.

edited January 18, 2019 10:17PM

Do you have any pictures of GAI graded ones? I couldn’t find any, and it seems odd because by ‘73 football time the imprint cellos were well established. They were introduced at the end of the ‘72 baseball run, and used exclusively for ‘72 football and ‘73 baseball, so hard to figure how there could be ‘73 football packs without it.

Edited to add: I now see there are PSA graded ‘72 football packs both with and without the imprint.

• DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 10:33PM

@PaulMaul said:
    Do you have any pictures of GAI graded ones? I couldn’t find any, and it seems odd because by ‘73 football time the imprint cellos were well established. They were introduced at the end of the ‘72 baseball run, and used exclusively for ‘72 football and ‘73 baseball, so hard to figure how there could be ‘73 football packs without it.

Edited to add: I now see there are PSA graded ‘72 football packs both with and without the imprint.

I agree, the timing doesn't make a lot of sense, but Topps was curious sometimes in how they did things.. For the GAI cellos, I've attached a few photos showing both versions (with price sticker and without price sticker). While it's possible these are the grocery cellos, as I recall, GAI would typically state that on the label.

• jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019 2:45PM

I’ve seen many GAI football and baseball grocery cellos without “grocery”noted on the flip. If these are the full 27 card version they should have a piece of gum in them separating roughly 20 cards from 7 of the cards. I personally would not purchase any of the clear cellophanes from 1973

John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

@jmoran19 — Does that include ‘72 football cellos without the imprint, or are those known to exist?

• jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019 2:42PM

I think I Remember seeing 10-12 card grocery cellos for 1972.

As mentioned above 1972 first series football cellos with 27 cards and a stick of gum were issued with a clear wrapper. Vintage Breaks have opened a dozen or so of these lately. There are 1972/73 basketball cellos as well issued via wheaties, they have a clear cellophane wrapper, this are incredible rare and contain no gum

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972