Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should I ship the Saint to eBay buyer who changed address right after the sales took place?

ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 18, 2019 9:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum

It is now resolved ....... Thank you ALL

updated to add #It turned out buyer is NOT the same as the person sending the change of shipping address message which I did not know until our CU friends here advised me so.

I sold my duplicate $20 Saint Gaudens and the buyer immediately requested to ship it to different address due to "father being sick".
This is the fist time I sold expensive item on eBay and despite my listing advise of shipping to confirmed US PayPal address only.... buyer messaged me with new shipping instruction.
Thank you in advance for your advice ......... eBay sellers here :)

copy of his message

Comments

• Options

I thought I heard this kind of scenario before but could not find the discussion.

• Options

He did post the PayPal payment though......

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Sounds shady, only ship to Paypal VERIFIED Address.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins
    I pasted his message above

• Options
    Jim2359Jim2359 Posts: 281 ✭✭

I had this happen and when I called ebay to ask this same question I was told to tell buyer sorry I could only ship your item to your ebay address, I never heard anything more about it. It was a 750.00 coin. Not as much as yours but would think twice, Jim

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins
    I pasted his message above

I got a bridge in Brookland to sell you......

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2019 8:21AM

Let me answer his message and let PayPal know the situation.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not... you will have very limited/no recourse from ebay and paypal if it is a scam.

If my father was sick and it necessitated my locating to a different address... buying coins would not be a high priority on my mind. If I had won an auction that I bid on previously... I would probably ask to cancel due to circumstances. But then that is just me, and the way I think....

Looks to me a good possibility you are being set up.

----- kj
  • Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd cancel it. Tell them if they want a different address to update it in ebay/paypal and rebuy.

Make sure you CYA if they follow through with purchasing it the second time.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

The style of the message reminds me of the scam craigslist responses I seem to get every time I list something. The broken English and odd wording is a common theme. "I just bought the 1907 . . . I hope all is great with that item". Who says that? Also, sick family member is a common theme to those scams. I wouldn't fool with it.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound I’ve had the same thing happen. That person who sent you the message isn’t even related to whoever purchased (check his ebay ID and the eBay ID of the person who actually bought the item).

This is a relatively common scam. The person just checks all the recently sold items (he never bought any of them) and messages each seller to steal the item.

Don’t send it to him and just ignore the message.

Ship to the confirmed address that eBay/PayPal has.

• Options
    edited January 18, 2019 8:28AM

@U1chicago
    should I contact the 'original' buyer to confirm first?

• Options
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait, so on this transaction someone other than the original buyer messaged you that out of the blue? Did you mail to the original buyer?

• Options

And again, as long as it wasn’t that person who also purchased the coin, you should be fine sending the item to the confirmed address on eBay/PayPal.

If you want to double check, you can message the person who actually bought it and ask them to confirm they actually purchased the item. In my case, it was a real buyer who left positive feedback when he received the item.

• Options

@MorganMan94 said:

Wait, so on this transaction someone other than the original buyer messaged you that out of the blue? Did you mail to the original buyer?

Yes; there is a group of scammers that just message sellers whenever a high priced item sells and attempt to steal it with that same “change address since such and such is sick...” method.

I double checked with the actual buyer, who was just a normal collector. I shipped the coin to the confirmed eBay/PayPal address and the transaction was fine.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scam, Unless both his hands are broken where he can’t use a keyboard and change his pay Pal address. Give him/her 3 days to change Pay Pal address other wise tell them you will refund. Keep Pay Pal informed so they Pay Pal knows your every move.

Then REFUND THE MONEY.
    Plenty of people who would want your coin. Put it on BST . Good Luck let me know if you need me to travel and take care of this. B)

• Options
    edited January 18, 2019 8:39AM

@Paradisefound said:
    The eBay message notification said "Message from BUYER"

@MorganMan94 said:

When you go to your sold items page, is the eBay ID of the person that bought the coin the same as that of the person who sent the message?

Did you receive payment already? If no payment was received, then that’s different and you might just have to cancel the transaction.

Edit: there is also an option on eBay to require immediate payment for buy-it-now listings. That could be a useful tool to use.

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭

In the thread that I linked, I was the buyer of the 1993 Philadelphia proof set that Dpoole sold. He emailed me about the suspicious email he received and I confirmed to him that it didn't come from me. I thanked him for contacting me and please send to the confirmed address. Transaction was smooth as silk.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Sounds shady, only ship to Paypal Confirmed Address.

Make sure seller protection is eligable.

Didn't read the other responses but EOC is correct.

I would go one step further on this and cancel the sale. You don't need the headache.

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    @U1chicago
    should I contact the 'original' buyer to confirm first?

If you received payment (and it shows up in your PayPal account), then I would send the real buyer a message. Something like:

“Thank you for the purchase! Can you please confirm that you purchased this item and that the order wasn’t placed mistakenly?
    Thanks again!”

• Options

Not the same :s:#

@U1chicago said:

@Paradisefound said:

@MorganMan94 said:

When you go to your sold items page, is the eBay ID of the person that bought the coin the same as that of the person who sent the message?

Did you receive payment already? If no payment was received, then that’s different and you might just have to cancel the transaction.

Edit: there is also an option on eBay to require immediate payment for buy-it-now listings. That could be a useful tool to use.

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    Not the same :s:#

@U1chicago said:

@Paradisefound said:

@MorganMan94 said:

It’s probably the same case as what happened with me and the other poster here.
    You have a legitimate buyer and then a scammer pretending to be the buyer.

I wouldn’t automatically cancel the sale as it does appear someone actually bought the item and another person is trying to steal it.

Check with the original buyer (there is an option to contact them...there should be a drop down box next to the sold listing on your selling page). And then if the original buyer confirms they did make the purchase and has paid, then you should be fine mailing to the confirmed eBay/PayPal address.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cancel the transaction . Tell buyer once he moves and does a change of address ( being confirmed) you will consummate the deal. I wouldn't trust anyone who decides to take an alternate route or who would ask such. Been there. Done that. Lost my assets.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not ship to the new address. Two thoughts:

1- That address is a forwarding address. The package will be out of the country ASAP.

2- It doesn’t matter what is said in Ebay. If the shipping address isn’t the one provided in the Paypal payment, Paypal won’t cover you. The only way to switch addresses is to refund the payment and send it again with the new address.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Cancel the transaction . Tell buyer once he moves and does a change of address ( being confirmed) you will consummate the deal. I wouldn't trust anyone who decides to take an alternate route or who would ask such. Been there. Done that. Lost my assets.

Again I wouldn’t cancel the transaction until the real buyer replies.

This could have been you or me purchasing a coin we wanted for our collection. Before the seller printed the label, a scammer (with a completely different eBay ID) sent the seller a message trying to steal the item. I would like for the seller to contact me and ask first before canceling. The fact that two separate accounts are involved suggests the one sending the message is the scammer and the original buyer has nothing to do with any of this (besides buying a coin they wanted).

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 9:01AM

Ship only to paypal address. If he wants different address tell him to change it in paypal. This may require a refund and repurchase/repayment if the new address doesn't show up on the earlier paypal payment details page. Don't forget that signature is required for purchase of this amount. Also, cheaper to send insured using registered mail.

Also, it never hurts with high dollar sales to write under your return address "Return Services Requested Do Not Forward."

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

PF,
    A Google of that new address would answered all your questions. Its a mail forwarding outlet store. This scammer has done it quite a few times already.

The sale is still legit so don't cancel it. As others said, sent your package to the VERIFIED address from the Palpal . Only look up the buyer's address thru Paypal website and not a possible fake Paypal email link (phishing email?)

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had this happen to me a couple of times that turned out to be legitimate. Yours doesn't to me. The only way to cover yourself if the buyer really wants the coin shipped to a different address is to cancel the original sale, have him update his paypal account with the correct address and then relist it for him.

• Options

People seem to be missing the fact that the person sending the message to change the address has nothing to do with the sale. There is a group of scammers (or the same guy) with a bunch of 0 or low feedback accounts that send messages like this to multiple sellers after a high value item sells.

Ignore the message from the scammer and only try to communicate with the real buyer.

Calling eBay to notify them about the scammer is another thing to do, but it may not do much as this guy seems to still be around (I’ve seen this scam going for at least a year now).

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could also be a commandeered account. Someone takes control of someone else's account and then changes the the "ship to" address at the last minute. Before the person who's account has been taken over realizes what's happening, they've paid for an item that's destined to go to the scammer. I would avoid this. As others have suggested, either wait for a confirmed ship to address in ebay and Paypal, or just void the transaction due to a non-verified address.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Danger Will Robinson... Danger!

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm.... I wonder if the person with the sick father would like some nice Omega 3 oils in the form of fresh fish shipped to him through that forwarding address at no cost. Got lots of fresh fish here on the Pacific coast...

But that would not be nice >:)

• Options
    edited January 18, 2019 9:20AM

Interesting ..... you said that; awhile back I noticed a silver frame was purchased and shipped to an address that is not mine.
    Never found out what happened there :#:s

@lkenefic said:
    It could also be a commandeered account. Someone takes control of someone else's account and then changes the the "ship to" address at the last minute. Before the person who's account has been taken over realizes what's happening, they've paid for an item that's destined to go to the scammer. I would avoid this. As others have suggested, either wait for a confirmed ship to address in ebay and Paypal, or just void the transaction due to a non-verified address.

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I hope all is great with that item" also jumped out at me as clear scammer speak.

"Yes she's doing great, family is great. She just started Zumba classes"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file