Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone ever see Panini getting MLBPA AND MLB licensing?

I collect everything Orioles from the 50's to present and also like to pick up a set or 2 for every year from the mid 70's to present day. Some of the Panini/Donruss offerings intrigue me but I just can't get past the lack of logos on the pictures....

I know Topps has an exclusive with MLB Properties right now, but do you ever see Panini getting a piece of the pie one day? I think that if/when that day comes, there needs to be a limitation set on how many different sets each year. Topps on its own, seems to have a different set just for baseball EVERY couple weeks all year long....They also would need to keep making different tier priced product.

I don't think going back to the days of 5 or so different manufacturers is a good idea, we don't need a new set of baseball cards every day of the year.....

Comments

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 7:26AM

As a football collector who misses Topps having the NFL and hates what Panini has done to football for the sake of baseball collectors lets hope Panini never gets a piece of the MLB pie.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

The current topps contract runs through 2025. I personally would like a reduction in the number of topps product for baseball cards. Just too many sets, topps now, throwback thursday, living set, and etc.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/topps-mlb-extend-exclusive-license-through-2025/

Really don't need Panini in the mix. However, if MLB wants additional revenue and exposure, Panini is a viable option.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 3:33PM

I think the leagues have figured out it is more lucrative to put exclusivity up for bid then to take licensing from anybody and everybody. Topps has exclusivity until 2025. I am guessing MLB will be open to the highest bidder at that point.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Topps lost that contract which I hope they do not - then 1976 would be the last design for Heritage.

• Options
    BcookieBcookie Posts: 57 ✭✭

Until they get it back

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brendanb438 said:
    As a football collector who misses Topps having the NFL and hates what Panini has done to football for the sake of baseball collectors lets hope Panini never gets a piece of the MLB pie.

I should start a thread on Panini's mismanagement of the football license. Every year they are gouging the collectors with more mediocre sets, low end content (low round and undrafted rookies in high end products), and poor quality control.

What has saved their bacon is the strong QB classes in 2016-2018. 2019 looks like a 2013 type year for rookies so maybe the day of reckoning will come.

Mike
  • Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

@ndleo said:

@brendanb438 said:

I should start a thread on Panini's mismanagement of the football license. Every year they are gouging the collectors with more mediocre sets, low end content (low round and undrafted rookies in high end products), and poor quality control.

What has saved their bacon is the strong QB classes in 2016-2018. 2019 looks like a 2013 type year for rookies so maybe the day of reckoning will come.

I would read that thread and probably find it interesting. Please do, if you have time. I am focused on Baseball Cards 99.9% and probably only have 50 Ravens Cards in total so I am out of touch with what is going on in that market....