Home Sports Talk
Options

Please summarize the NBA season so far.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picking up bits and pieces.

Seems that no team is really any good this season.

The Beard is averaging like 80 points a game for 18 or 19 games.

LeBron's Lakers are barely above .500. Has he ever played on a sub .500 team?

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

It started?

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many don't realize this, but the NBA actually folded around twenty years ago due to lack of interest. The games seen on TV are just replays of various past games with different player's faces cleverly photoshopped into the action.

For example, LeBron James the NBA basketball player doesn't really exist. The face you see on TV was simply taken from pics of a crazy homeless man in Cleveland who for many years has walked the streets shouting, "I am the greatest of all time."

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s the NBA?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

trouble in beantown. Ego problems , kyrie is retarded and annoying. I guess he thought LeBron was an ass and couldn't tolerate him in cleveland but maybe it was not LeBron

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the NBA's top story this season so far:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/michael-beasley-tries-check-lakers-game-wearing-practice-shorts-promptly-sent-locker-room-032533446.html

Michael Beasley checks into Lakers game wearing practice shorts, promptly sent to locker room

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

not worth watching.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there still an NBA? How's Olajuwon doing? He was good in the last game I watched.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

Man, tough crew here. Less than no love for the NBA in this thread. Sorry but you just have to give props to the Warriors. They are fun to watch, spread the ball, push in transition and play defense. Again not a Warriors fan here, but have to acknowledge greatness.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Basketball fan here.

This season it appears that more and more teams are building rosters with players who have some ability to play all 5 positions on the floor, both on offense and defense.

These types of skilled players become interchangeable. To make an NBA roster new players had better develop the skills needed to effectively play any position on the floor.

The pace of games has increased, with more possessions per game. In addition to more possessions per game, the number of three point shots has increased, as has the percentage of these shots that go in. As a result the scores of games has gone up.

Higher scores in games indicates that teams are not playing good defense. While this may be true for some teams, it is not for all teams.

Some teams play very good defense. However a good or great offense can not be stopped all the time by a great defense.

What is enjoyable to me is to see teams play both offense and defense at a high level and transition between same quickly. Doing so boosts the quality of each component of the game. If both teams play this way in a game then one can be very entertained as the quality of play is top notch.

I like it best when all 5 players on the floor play well together, with a fast pace, plenty of passing and finding the open man for the best shots. I prefer this style of play to isolation basketball.

I am glad that the better teams in each conference are so close matched this year. It makes for an interesting regular season.

The playoffs this year should be very competitive. I do not think the Lakers and Le Bron James will make it to the finals. I do not think that the Warriors are a lock to make it to the finals. The Conference titles in both the East and the West are wide open. I am glad that the 2019 finals will not be a repeat of the past four finals.

Another thing I like is the fact that more and more foreign born players have joined the NBA and are playing at All Star levels.

A further an infusion of new talented players, even teenagers, is present and continuing that will continue to drive the NBA to greater global popularity. I expect that at some time the 3 point line will be moved back, the rim will be raised above 10 feet, the size of the court will be increased and the size of the lane will be increased. This will be done to take into account the larger, faster and more athletic players that are being developed around the world. Doing so will open things up and make the game less congested than it is now and more flowing. The only thing that will need to be done to keep or increase the quality of play is to train upcoming talent with the required skill set in sufficient numbers to fill out the rosters of the NBA teams. One dimensional players (i.e. Mark Eaton) will no longer be able to fill a roster spot.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

Boy, that's a lot to digest. Your point about teams looking for interchangeable players is spot on. That's why the Warriors are so hard to play against...and they all play so well together. As a Philly fan, that's why the trade for Butler made sense, but unless they can bring in some depth when teams start shedding salary or their young players become more consistent, they just can't compete against the best teams over the long haul. Unless Kyrie screws this up, I think the one team built to run at the Warriors are the Celtics, as they can go 9-10 deep with guys that shoot the 3 and cover the 3 when switches occur.

I will saw one more thing.....it's nice to see the Brooklyn Nets finally field a team that can compete. After all that happened there, maybe they can lift themselves out of the rubble. Watched a few of their games and they have a few guys who can play.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019 2:35PM

I haven't watched a basketball game since the Lakers dumped Shaq!

Steve

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

The game is horrible now. Bring back the days of theNastyBoys, Jordan and Bird.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dennis1219 said:
    The game is horrible now. Bring back the days of theNastyBoys, Jordan and Bird.

The days of The Bad Boys, Bird, Jordan, Magic will unfortunately probably never be duplicated. It was a great game to watch at the time

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is this NBA you speak of?

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

The regular seasons are so long for NBA, MLB, & NHL that I don’t really get into them until playoff time. With one game per week and a 16 game season, football is easier to follow in the regular season. I think the NBA is gaining popularity throughout the world and stands to grow in years to come.